got into an accident.... need to get it fixed

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
humanoid
Vehicles Owned: 1980 Triumph TR7 convertible

got into an accident.... need to get it fixed

Post by humanoid »

Got into an accident a couple weeks ago and need my 7 hopefully fixed. Need to find a shop that specializes in these "specialty" vehicles as we all know that parts are very difficult to come by. Was going to take my 7 to a local Seidners Collision Center, but they said they were afraid they wouldn't be able to source the parts to fix the car and the insurance company told me to find a shop that fixes up these cars. So I need a favor from you folks, need to find a body shop in or near the San Gabriel Valley in California that can handle all of this. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Oh, below are a couple pics of how my baby looks now :(.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: got into an accident.... need to get it fixed

Post by Steve Simmons »

Ouch! :( Sorry to hear about the damage but as with all things metal, it can be fixed! :)

I think finding parts will be your biggest obstacle, as 99% of the body shop employees out there have probably never seen a TR-7. The only shop I know of that does body AND repair on these cars is Dave Welwood up in Ventura. He's a member of this site so maybe he'll see this thread and chime in. Or maybe someone else will chime in with a closer option. Regardless, I would take the car as far as you have to in order to let the "right" person do the work.

If you aren't afraid to do a little ground work yourself then I can highly recommend Classic Vision Restoration in Burbank, which isn't "close" but not nearly as far as Ventura. They have worked on every type of classic imaginable from Delahaye to VW. They may not know where to find parts however, but they are very easy to work with so you can simply point them in the right direction if they need something they can't find. See this thread for a photo of my MGC they did work on: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=399

See here for photos of cars they have worked on: http://classicvisionusa.com/photos.html

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum! 8)
humanoid
Vehicles Owned: 1980 Triumph TR7 convertible

Post by humanoid »

Thanks for the welcome, Steve, I'll give those guys in Burbank a look.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

humanoid wrote:Got into an accident a couple weeks ago and need my 7 hopefully fixed. Need to find a shop that specializes in these "specialty" vehicles as we all know that parts are very difficult to come by. Was going to take my 7 to a local Seidners Collision Center, but they said they were afraid they wouldn't be able to source the parts to fix the car and the insurance company told me to find a shop that fixes up these cars. So I need a favor from you folks, need to find a body shop in or near the San Gabriel Valley in California that can handle all of this. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Oh, below are a couple pics of how my baby looks now :(.

Contact Dave Wellwood as he has done a TR7 that was smacked harder and when he was finished you could not even tell it had ever had been involved in an accident.
Dave's Phone number is 1-805-469-7842 and his E-mail is dswellwood@hotmail.com and he is in Ventura, Ca.
Dave is a member of this forum and has a restoration business.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

Dave also has a web site Wellwood Auto Restoration.
wellwoodautorestoration

Post by wellwoodautorestoration »

Sorry you wedged your TR. This damage is very very similar to the one I repaired last year. It was a very low mileage car that I had repainted a few years ago. It was the Platinum car on the Moss cover. It was the same corner but a little heavier. I put on a used bonnet and bumper, new fender, new header panel, inner lamp panel lower valance and more. Fenders are or course welded on these cars. I will try to find some photos of before and after. By the way, our biggest client is on the eastcoast and ships cars to me to restore. Currently doing a DeTomaso saloon for him and have another car waiting. An E-Type roadster is coming together and just completed a 49 Chrysler woody convertible which goes back to Palm Springs. We do work on a lot of local XK Jaguars as I have 3 of them and know them well. Two cars we had done won their classes at the LA Concours last year and we will have two new cars entered this year.
Happy to help with parts leads although everything is available through Rimmers in UK. and some used here in SoCal.
Cheers, Dave

WELLWOOD AUTO RESTORATION, INC
wellwoodautorestoration.com