MGB intake manifold end cap leaking??

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
max71
Core Member

MGB intake manifold end cap leaking??

Post by max71 »

Talked to Jeff Schlemmer, the dizzy man. He went on about a story where anything above a #5 needles means there a vac leak or associated problem. He mentioned classic problems with the end caps on the intake manifold leaking.

He said he feels all of them leak to some extent with age. I don't think mine were removed but best to try and eliminate everything. Jeff says to just fill it up completely with JB weld. Performance is more important than perfect originality but can't I just run a bead of something around them? He has a good point that these are dissimilar metals with different expansion rates. He feels they leak once they expand.

He made it sound as though this is a well-known issue. Have you guys heard of this?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: MGB intake manifold end cap leaking??

Post by Steve Simmons »

On other cars, yes. Haven't personally seen it on an MGB though. Not saying it can't happen because I'm sure it can. I'm sure you can test it with some spray oil, or perhaps starter fluid. Or just put the JB weld on since it won't hurt anything.
max71
Core Member

Post by max71 »

His experience was putting richer and richer needles on and going crazy trying to find why it was running lean at higher rpms. He said he sprayed around the ends, soaped it, etc and nothing. Until he sealed it with JB weld and then he dropped down to #5 needles because that was the problem.

I guess caking on JB weld isn't very attractive. I was hoping to run a bead of silicon although with expansion/contraction I don't know if that would be right.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

That would probably work, but I'd rather have something harder and more durable than silicon if it was supposed to seal permanently. The only things I've seen used for repairing this problem are new plugs, and JB weld. But again, not on MGBs.
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

It seems to me that if there is an expansion/contraction problem already, silicone would be superior to JB Weld.
But it would be tougher to make silicone look good, since JB Weld can be sanded, machined, etc.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".