Easy way to check cam timing?

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
max71
Core Member

Easy way to check cam timing?

Post by max71 »

If the dizzy experiment doesn't resolve the issue of not being able to go above 4500 RPM, and it isn't needles then I'm concerned I/we did the cam timing wrong. We did exactly what Burgess book said but something I saw recently made me wonder. I believe we have the gear dimples facing each other. A video I just saw said they should be in line with each other. Without pulling the head is there any way to check cam timing? If its severly retarded this might account for not being able to go above 4500 RPM. Recalling that this has been a problems since the new engine rebuild with whatever dizzy or needles were in there I'm beginning to wonder.
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Re: Easy way to check cam timing?

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

Hi Gary,

if the dimples are in line with the centers of the shafts, then the dimples wil also be opposite each other.
Malcolm
max71
Core Member

Re: Easy way to check cam timing?

Post by max71 »

As I thought on it I think we assembled they were across from each other on the inside which as I understand it puts on the compression stroke of number 4. When we did the cam timing measurement it must have been right as we had to adjust to make it on the compression stroke of #1 measuring true TDC with a dial gauge on the intake push rod. Since I/we never did it before I'm just not secure. We did try it several times and came up with the same measurement for the offset.

Why didn't I know you 2 years when I was doing this??!! I could've given you the engine. :?