Freshened 1500 Engine !

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Freshened 1500 Engine !

Post by VWNate1 »

O-Kay then ;

Malcom took my wheezing , smoking , oil dripping Metropolitan's 1500 C.C. engine apart and found the DPO's ' rebuild ' consisted of only a turned crankshaft & new bearing shells (.030"/.030") , some new piston rings installed on totally worn out pistons (floppy ring lands) and maybe touched up the valves a bit .

The big ends of the connecting rods were *so* loose , the new bearing shells rocked loosely in them ! :eek: I
guess now I know why it always took so long for the oil pressure light to go out and why it'd blink or stay on after a hard run in warm weather :roll:

He sent the rods out for re-sizing and installed new 5 ring pistons , rod bearing shells and some other ancilliary parts , I'd allready replaced the cylinder head , timing chain and sprockets, tensioner and a raft of other little things , it's now running very well indeed and as I pile on the miles , it runs smoother and more powerfully too :thumbs: :bow: .

Friday I began running it on the freeway in short bursts , up the ramp , run up to 55 MPH then take the next off ramp and motor on on surface streets .

Yesterday as I was ascending a hill on the Pasadna Feeway I ran it breifly up to 75 MPH and still had throttle left :thumbs:

The exhaust head pipe was installed slightly off so it'd touch the unibody on right turns at speed and buzz the shit out of the car , blur the mirrors etc. ~ this gave me quite a start at first then I ealized it was a simple thing and to-day I got it up on a hoist and found the problem & fixed it easily .

I'm stoked as I leave for Phoenix in it pretty quick .

:thumbs:
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Freshened 1500 Engine !

Post by Steve Simmons »

That's high praise coming from a guy who pushes his Metropolitan as hard as you do. Look out Malcolm, my BGT's engine is smoking worse than Nate's ever did! We may have to talk... :pimp:
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: O - Yeah !

Post by VWNate1 »

You're right , I like to work that tiny LBC pretty hard but as with most BMC products , it's well designed and *very* sturdy

I'm also quite the nit picker and whiner , Malcom was extremely nice about all my various wants and ways of doing the job ~ he even let me to the initial startup and 60 second breakin , he looked very nervous but it runs like a top and doesn't smoke one bit :thumbs: . ask him about Nate's 60 second breakin of new &rebuilt engines , it really works .

I'm now cruising it on the freeways @ 55 ~ 60 mph , not a trouble with it .

This was Money well spent , Malcom is like me ,an old timey Journeyman Mechanic who understands how to do things correctly .

Trust the man , he won't do you wrong .

I'm just sad I can no longer do simple things like valve jobs etc. as these are the bread & butter jobs that supported me since I was a child and began my Mechanical career .
-Nate