Hot Spark brand electronic ignition

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
MGJon
Vehicles Owned: 1973 Midget
1962 Midget (project)
Mazda PU

Hot Spark brand electronic ignition

Post by MGJon »

Has anyone heard of or used a Hot Spark brand electronic ignition? It's very similar if not identical to Pertronix (I have one in my '73) but half the price. I did some searching and found allot of people saying that it's as good as Pertronix.
1962 MK1 Midget project.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: Hot Spark brand electronic ignition

Post by VWNate1 »

First allow me to say THANK YOU JON for the most excellent final adjustment you did on my 1967 MGB GT long ago ~ after you'd made that final enrichenment to the HS-4 carbys , it ran flawlessly for well over 40,000 hard miles through multiple fuel tank and pump failures & issues caused by rust and silt , I always kept new fuel filters in the car and changed them the instant they became clogged or turned brown , the new owner says it's still running well on my advice of maintain clean fuel filters and LEAVE THE CARBYS ALONE .

As an avid owner and user of the Pertronix Ignitor system without failure nor complaint since they were retail priced @ $32.00 I'm keen to hear about this new ' Hot Spark ' system , where is it procured please ? if it's really 1/2 the price , I'll go buy one and report on it's worth .

FWIW , as far as I can discern , Pertronix failures are caused either by failure to follow the instructions closely (usually the wrong impedance coil being used) or by overcharging of the vehicle causing failure .

I eagerly await your reply .

TIA ,
-Nate
MGJon
1962 Midget (project)
Mazda PU

Post by MGJon »

You can go to http://www.hot-spark.com/1-Lucas-Distributors.htm but they are 59.00 but the shipping is free. Or you can find them on eBay for about $40, at least I did. Of course you can just Google "Hot Spark" too.
How long ago did I make that final enrichenment to the HS-4 carbys? Either I've lost my memory :? or you have me confused with someone else (?) If I did do it ....... your welcome! :)
1962 MK1 Midget project.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: Your Memory

Post by VWNate1 »

Well , Dougie's store wasn't even up for sale back then~ maybe 15 years ago ? I dunno , I'm the cracker in the Ghetto with the old black Mk I MGB GT ~ it ran flawlessley *except* for a rythmic carby popping at almost exactly 3,000 RPM's , you commented I'd *balanced* them prefectly but had the jet bridge up too high ~ two flats of each nut and that was that .

Gained some power too , the guy in Tombstone , Az. who foolishly bought this black non AC equipped car just as I did in the dead of winter , loves it and says it runs great .

Anywys , I forgure there are not likely to be more than one MGJon's in Monrovia , Ca...... :bow:

A link to the Flea-Bay auction would be gratefully accepted as I'm a computer dummy .
-Nate
MGJon
1962 Midget (project)
Mazda PU

Post by MGJon »

Here's the eBay link: http://tinyurl.com/y3w2fwa These are in the UK and take a week or so to get here. They are 39.95 plus 4.95 shiping. The eBay listing says "Triumph electronic ignition Module for lucas 25d" but, of course, it will fit any 25D also the 23D.
1962 MK1 Midget project.