Combination Ignition / Lighting Switch

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Combination Ignition / Lighting Switch

Post by VWNate1 »

Fitted to roughly a Zillion British cars , this simple and effective (not to mention CHEAP to manufacture !) switch has caused *so* much anguish to LBC owners , drivers and Mechanics over the years I'm surprised there's not a book or technical pamphlet written about them .

The one in my '59 Metropolitan FHC has been iffy since I bought the car over 10 years ago , there was no detent in the various positions (you know : dim , flicker and off) once or twice it decided I didn't need headlights to drive home , always well after midnight and only when I was in a part of town you'd rather not be stranded in .

(tip : a paper clip unbent and carefully placed , will make the lights work and not let any <magic> LUCAS smoke out)

I buttoned up my brake job and front end repairs Friday last and tried to start the car to give it a test drive , no spark so I grabbed a jumper wire out of the junkyard tool bucket and off I went .

Saturday was the Metropolitan Nash Club's monthly Tech Session in Westminster so off I went with my factory shop manuals and a few tools in the boot , two nasty old Combination Switches I'd found under some rotting leaves whilst cleaning the back yard .

I took the switch out and disassembled it on a clean(ish) towel , not having any metal polish for the copper contacts I borrowed an old tooth brush and a bit of cleaner wax and soon I'd used the toothbrush and my foaming glass cleaner to de-grease the innards and contacts or 50 year old rock hard grease then I hand polished all the various contacts to a high gloss with the cleaner wax and smeared a tiny bit of white Lithium grease on both contacts and rotating / sliding parts & re-assembled it .I scavenged a spare detent ball and spring from one of the crusty old switches and all was well in Mudville for a moment .

Upon checking before re-installing it I discovered two things : one , the dim bulb engineers @ BMC made a serious design error in that the switch must needs be pulled through the dash facia before one can access any of the wires ~ this bit of foolishness means the entire bunch of wires are all jammed to-gether in a 2" hole instead of hanging down below the facia where they'd be MUCH easier (and faster) to access and re-connect , test etc. .

Two ; some long forgotten DPO / DPM had wired the switch incorrectly so I had to take the time to sort it all out and mark each wire before carefully screwing them all back into place with nothing crossed nor touching .

Imagine my surprise when I discovered the coil still wasn't getting any power ~ it turns out the main harness has an open circuit between the fusebox and the coil , it wasn't a switch failure that'd prevented it from starting .

Odd but I have a new harness I'll hopefully soon install (thanx Steve ! I've not forgotten you)

Meanwhilst I added one simple jumper wire from the fusebox to the ignition coil so it works like it's supposed to once again .

I also dismounted and de-rusted the original fusebox using diluted Phosphoric Acid and Q-Tips
so the blades in it are nice and shiny again , then I laboriously hunted up some AGX fuses as the car came to me with overly long AGC ones , yes they work but they're NOT " Just So " and
so pissed me off every time I raised the Bonnet . plus , the old fuses were rusty and made poor contact , once so poor that it burned my fingertip when I touched the fuse end .

BMC says it needs 30A fuses , I installed 25A ones and I think I'll soon modify the underdash wiring to have more fuses or perhaps circuit breakers of a proper 10A each .

I'll also install a power relay so the headlight current isn't running through the Combination Switch , this will be good when I upgrade to brighter head lamps.

All the Met guys were flabbergasted to see the dash in little bits and the Combination switch apart , I think they didn't expect me to be able to drive it home again that day .

As I was enjoying myself tinkering , I realized how simple (if overly fiddly) this routine service is and I should make up a DIY How-To replete with pictures .

Sadly I didn't have my digital camera handy , not like I'd touch it with dirty fingers anyway but a simple 'photo follow along layout would prolly help a lot of folks here .

If anyone has crusty old Morgan, TD , TF , Bugeye , Hillman etcetera Combination switches lying about , I'd like them as I want to build up a few spares from the junk parts . sadly my old crusty switches are *so* rusty , I cannot get the screws to come out .

I also need a white knob for one , Moss doesn't seem to carry them anymore .

TIA,
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Combination Ignition / Lighting Switch

Post by Steve Simmons »

Well maybe if you didn't keep your spare switches under piles of leaves in the back yard, they wouldn't get so crusty! :P

Whitworth Shop restores these type of switches to brand new condition, but it sure ain't free. Nice you got them working on your own! I have only one spare, the original from my TC. There's a pre-war version in the car now which will become the spare after I restore the original one.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: Poor Storage

Post by VWNate1 »

Yes , there is that ~ I was surprised to see them appear as I was cleaning up .

I'd thought they were safely in the boot of my '60 DHC but a whole bunch of other Met and LBC parts appeared at the same time so maybe they were dropped as the tires & wheels were going over the fence , I dunno :? .

I neglected to mention that IMO these switches are in fact an extremely clever design apart from having to come out forward .

Simple to service too .

Now that my Combination switch and fusebox are all cleaned up , the charge rate is more even and all the lights are much brighter , etc. etc. . this is a typical result and is why I do it to most old junkers I pick up .

I know someone here has these old switches in their ' junk box ' .
-Nate