MG Midget A-Frame Removal

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

MG Midget A-Frame Removal

Post by VWNate1 »

O.K. , I need to get these out without dying of the effort nor destroying everything beating the stuck pins out or the rotted rubber bushings.......

Surely someone here has done this job before .

Also , once off the car I'll need a place to rebuild the trunnion bushings & fit & ream new king pin bushings to the spindles .

Ideas ? comments ? help ? .

Etc. .

TIA ,
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: MG Midget A-Frame Removal

Post by Steve Simmons »

Not sure if it's the same size as MGB, but if so then I have the correct reamer.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Hi Nate,

If the spindle is the same as an MG Miget then the pin I think you refering to is actually a screw type pin that also has a dowl pin that is held in place by a nut that acts as a keeper to keep the lower pin from rotating in the mount.
As for the proper size reamer it is not the same as the MGB.
I have done this on the Miget that I have and if I were to do it again I would just spend the dollars to by new spindles and lower a-arms and be done with it as it is a lot of work.

Vittoria British has replacement spindles and A-arms the last time I checked. Also I think Moss Motors has them also.

Hope this helps.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: Getting There......

Post by VWNate1 »

Yes , those threaded pins are called " Trunnions " and are 1930's technology . those who have them , are well advised to grease well every 1,000 miles .

However , I'm still struggling with removing the entire A- Frames from the chassis ~ unless you've struggled through this , you have no idea what a nut buster job it is .

Then , I'll need to figure out how to remove that tiny taper pin that holds the trunnions from unscrewing....... :hammer: .

PLEASE , keep the thoughts &ideas coming ! :bow: .
-Nate
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Hi Nate,

Once you have the a-arm and kingpin / spindle off the car you should be able to remove the little nut and use a drift punch to drive out the tiny tapered pin. When I did mine they just about fell out after soaking them with PB Blaster and then tapping them with a drift punch. As for the trunnion pins they screw in and it took a lot of PB-Blaster and working the pins back and forth with a large straight blade screw driver until it worked its self loose.
As for removing the a-arm from the chassis just cut the bolt heads off with a grinder and drive them out with a drift punch and replace them with new bolts and rubber bushings.

PB-Blaster is the best stuff I have found for this type of job so here is a photo of it if you are not aware of it.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
WDI-108-16-PB-ZM.JPG
WDI-108-16-PB-ZM.JPG (25.78 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.