Oil Recommendation!

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Oil Recommendation!

Post by Steve Simmons »

Ok, I finally have enough experience to officially recommend this stuff. For the past year or two I've been running Classic Car Motor Oil in several cars. This is a semi-synthetic oil designed specifically for classic and antique engines. It was engineered by DA Lubricants, a well-respected company within the oil industry, alongside some Packard guys from the Classic Car Club of America.

CCMO comes in a single viscosity blend - 15W-40. Some people feel this is too light but if you compare the viscosity numbers at various temperatures you will find that this oil performs much better than most in a wide range of conditions. I've driven my cars in freezing temperatures and blistering hot weather in the city and on the highway. Pressure has always been good and the oil comes out looking fairly fresh at each oil change. For the record I use K&N oil filters and change my oil about every 4,000 miles.

Today was yet another good hot weather test as I drove the MGA for an hour through traffic and up grades in 100F temperatures. Engine coolant temperature was varying between 205-225F which is getting pretty hot for an MGA. However pressure remained at 70 PSI which is only a few pounds under what it is in freezing temperatures with the same oil.

The cost of this oil is on par with other higher end synthetics, but I prefer it not only because of the 1600 ppm ZDDP and high ash content, but because it's semi-synthetic instead of fully synthetic. It is compatible with all other oils, dino or synthetic so no special changes are needed to use it. I wouldn't change a higher mileage engine from dino to synthetic, but I have no issues changing to semi-synthetic from either one.

If interested, check out their web site, which unfortunately is the only place to get it so there are shipping charges.

http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stewart
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1966 2cv
1967 mgb gt sc
1975 mgb sc
1973 1800es
1972 Citroen ID21 wagon

Re: Oil Recommendation!

Post by Stewart »

Tried it and so far noticed no change in oil pressure.

I had been using collectors choice from moss and if anything the fact that this company can ship you a case of oil without the bottles leaking all over the place is a massive improvement.