Bonnet latches

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
Larry1937
Vehicles Owned: 1937 MG TA

Bonnet latches

Post by Larry1937 »

I bought a MG TA and did a lot of work on the engine an I am ready to close the bonnet.
Someone has changed the four nuts that hold the latches in place?? Have no idea of why
these were changed out, but the nuts are new. I have tried to make
adjustments to be able to secure the bonnet but if just does not engage. There must be instructions on their adjustment somewhere but I have not been able to find any references. All the metal pieces attached to the fender are straight and in the same plane as the bumpers. I can get one on each
side to engage but the other does not seem to line up?
Feeling really dumb but could use some help
Larry
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Bonnet latches

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum! Did the latches ever line up? It's possible that someone has changed some of the original parts for either used items or reproductions. A lot of the assembly of the TA was done by hand on a per-car basis, so parts from one will not necessarily fit another. For example, the bonnets were trimmed to fit each specific car. I'm not sure which nuts you are referring to, but if the problem is that the latch is missing the catch no mater how the two are adjusted, then I would slot the adjusting holes on the catch to correct the problem. That way there are no modifications made to the bonnet, frame or latch assembly. Just a bigger hole in the catch.