TC Master Cylinder (Look out, Felix!)

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
tintinmilou
Vehicles Owned: 1948 Bentley Mark VI
1949 MG TC RHD
1957 MGA Roadster
1966 MGB-GT
1977 Citroen CX Prestige C-matic

TC Master Cylinder (Look out, Felix!)

Post by tintinmilou »

My apologies to anyone who didn't get the reference in the subject line. If you didn't grow up watching Saturday morning cartoons in the sixties, you wouldn't.

I've rebuilt the wheel and master cylinders on my '49 TC, but failed to follow all the instructions.
Consequently, the first time I depressed the brake pedal, the master cylinder stuck in the compressed position.
1) The master cylinder is a pain in the posterior to remove and install, due to the large nut on the tail of the cylinder. I assume the correct tool is a tubular box wrench, but does anyone know what size? I'm tired of doing it the wrong way.
2) How do I get the master cylinder unstuck? Compressed air? Any thoughts, experience, gloating?

:drive
Thanks in Advance!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: TC Master Cylinder (Look out, Felix!)

Post by Steve Simmons »

Greetings! I overextended my TC's MC once and was able to force it back with a bit of a tug. Try pushing the plunger up, down, side to side, etc as you tug to try and clear the lip that the piston is likely stuck on. You have to get it unstuck obviously or else you can't get the MC out.

I don't remember the exact size of the nut but it's Whitworth. The best solution is to buy an extended nut. It's basically a long threaded collar with the same size Whitworth flats on the end. It's worth every penny when you have to pull the MC again because you can use a regular open ended wrench on it. The guy who used to make the extended nuts has retired but I can put you in touch with the guy who took over most of his products and is probably making them again.

Hope this helps!