how to start a healey that sat for 30+ years

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
tim2shoes
Vehicles Owned: 1968 austin healey sprite
1990 dodge w250 12v
1973 international 1210

how to start a healey that sat for 30+ years

Post by tim2shoes »

hi vintage folks, just picked up a 68 sprite and it looks pretty complete, and i'm thinking I would like to fire it up.
what should I do before I throw a battery in this thing and crank her over?
I'm thinking check fluid levels and maybe a little marvel mystery oil in each cylinder, keeping the plugs out to crank. I got it to turn about a 1/4 turn of the crank by bumping it in gear, so I know she's not stuck.
i'll take all suggestions.
i'll try to get a few pics after I clean her up and powder her nose.
thanks and cheers
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: how to start a healey that sat for 30+ years

Post by Steve Simmons »

The first thing I would do is change the oil and filter, and the coolant. That old oil may have crud or moisture in it and I wouldn't want that circulating through the bearings. Then a shot of light oil into the cylinders via spark plug holes to ensure everything is loose. Install a new battery. Change all rubber fuel hoses in the engine bay and at the rear of the car.

Next I would keep a fire extinguisher handy, slip the battery terminal onto the battery tight enough to hold but loose enough to pull off by hand. With the plugs out, crank the engine until oil pressure builds, then install plugs and fire it up.

Once the engine has reached normal operating temperature and run for a while, I'd change the oil again. Maybe after the first drive around the neighborhood. That will give you a chance to see if anything bad is happening (ie coolant in oil) as well as get the initial wave of junk out of the system.

Others may have different methods but that's pretty much what I would do.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Re: how to start a healey that sat for 30+ years

Post by tannyo »