MGB Brake Pad Help

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

MGB Brake Pad Help

Post by Larry Kluss »

Okay, I need some suggestions for good front brake pads for my MGB. I'm going autocrossing next month and the ancient Ferodo compound I'm using isn't cutting it. I also plan to do some track day stuff in the future, however I don't want too much dusting.

I've checked my sources and nothing is available. I see that Moss sells EBC green, a Hawk material (who knows which one as they list 3 on their website), and Mintex (again, don't know what compound). Anyone have experience with any of these, or know of something else available?

Thanks,
Larry
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

For autocrossing I would think you want a fairly soft pad. Your brakes will need to work as well as possible from a cold start. For track days you want the opposite, meaning a pad that will not overheat and lose its grip.

I've used the Green stuff pads on my MGB and MGC. If I remember correctly, your MGB does not have a brake booster so I'll talk about my experience with pads on the '67 BGT which is a stock braking set up.

I changed from stock-style pads (from Moss) to EBC Green Stuff (also from Moss). I found I did not like them for street use. During typical commuting or around town driving, they never heated up enough to be fully effective, so I found more pedal effort was required to stop the car than with the previous pads. On a downhill canyon road, they heated up nicely and were fantastic. The car stopped better in this situation than the stock pads ever did. Since I rarely heat the brakes up that much on the BGT, I changed back to stock pads and I've been happy with them.

The one advantage of the EBC pads for daily driving is that they produce less dust. It is not a lot less, but it is noticeable. This is more of an advantage on wire wheel cars since minilites are so easy to clean.

I have green stuff on the MGC also, but between the heavier weight, gobs of power and boost-assisted brakes, there are no disadvantages that I can detect. The booster overcomes any loss of grip at slower speeds.

I would not hesitate to try EBC pads on the track, but I don't think I'd use them for autocrossing. I still have a set of nearly new EBC pads here in a cabinet if you're interested. I also have a good set of hawk MGA pads I'm not using but I don't think they fit the MGB caliper.

I hope this helps!
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Steve, I appreciate the firsthand knowledge. I may want to try the EBC pads, since you happen to have a slightly used set laying around.

As you know, I work in the braking industry, but we don't have anything available for this application. A mistake a lot of poeple make is choosing too aggressive of a pad for the street, even for dual purpose track day cars. As you pointed out, without enough heat, some racing pads simply don't work "cold". In fact, some can severely wear your rotors if they are not used in their teperature range. I may have inadvertently made the same error.

Before tearing the B down for paint about 2 years back, I was coming down Deer Creek Rd toward Hwy 1 and badly faded my brakes. I went home and changed from the cheap stock compound to a set of Ferodo pads I'd been saving for many years until the car was done. (like 25 years! :P ) Unfortunately, I don't know what compound the Ferodos are and I never had another chance to push them. In the mild driving around since the car's been done, I've noticed they don't stop very well under normal conditions, although the original rotors are still in good shape.

With the upcoming autocross event, I've been forced to re-examine the issue. I would prefer not to have to change pads for different events, but it's not out of the question.

Thanks, Larry
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

My guess is that the EBC pads will work for you, providing you don't mind a slightly weaker pad around town. They stopped fine for me, but I saw no reason to have to push harder 95% of the time. they might be a good compromise for you. If you like, you can swing by one day and we'll pop them in and go for a ride. If you like them, we'll work a deal. :wink:
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

I think I'll take you up on that offer. Not sure when yet, but I want to do it before the Labor Day event. Thanks!

I think you just want to get my car up on your lift so you can look under her skirt! :lol: