Plastic v.s. Brass Floats, and GROSE Jets?

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
tykluss18
Vehicles Owned: 1997 BMW M3 Coupe

Sold: 1971 MG Midget

Plastic v.s. Brass Floats, and GROSE Jets?

Post by tykluss18 »

Recently I've been tending to my carburetors since I keep having one go out on me when I'm on an incline. I diagnosed the problem as a plastic float that was about half full with gas, causing one carburetor to flood. I believe that somewhere there is a pinhole because as I move the float assembly around and even upside down no gas leaks back out.

My question to you all is whether or not to get the "as original" float which I am assuming is the plastic one or to get 2 new brass floats. Logic tells me that the brass floats will be better at preventing future pinholes. There is an $8 price spread per float and I'm wondering if anyone has experience and recommendations with the brass.

Also, anyone else besides Mark Benson have good or bad things to say about GROSE jets as a replacement for the standards?

Thanks,
Tyson
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Plastic v.s. Brass Floats, and GROSE Jets?

Post by Steve Simmons »

If the plastic is old, it may not be ethanol-resistant. That said, I still prefer brass although it is not immune to leaks either. The solder holding the two halves together can (and often does) eventually fracture or corrode, and fuel will find its way in. I have one here from a friend's TC that has been sitting on a shelf half full of gasoline for months. With brass, one way to empty them is to float in hot water. The fuel will boil before the water does, and should find its way out. This probably won't work for plastic floats, not that you want to keep using an old plastic one anyway. With brass, you re-solder the joint after boiling and you're good to go.

A newer option is nitrophyl, if they are available for your application. It is a closed-cell foam-like material that is highly resistant to most petroleum products. These are supposed to be the best of both worlds but I don't have enough experience with them to say if they are good in the long run.

As for grose jets, I don't like them. I've had one set and they are no longer in the car. Many, many old timers with T-Series cars feel the same way although there are a few who swear by them.
tykluss18
Vehicles Owned: 1997 BMW M3 Coupe

Sold: 1971 MG Midget

Post by tykluss18 »

I think the brass floats are the way to go. If nothing else putting something metal onto the car as opposed to plastic seems like a better route.

And as far as the jets, I've heard good things from Mark and Dean but what didn't you like about them, Steve?
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

My car didn't run as well with them. It seems like they should work fine, and as noted some people do swear by them, but I've run into far more who had negative experiences. I wouldn't take any one opinion as gospel though. And anything new / functional is better than anything worn out.
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

I prefer brass floats. When they are new there should be no problems, but as they get older, like 20 plus years, the solder can get brittle and allow leaks. I do not like Grose jets. I've had no end of problems with them. Just my opinion.
Malcolm
kiwimark
Vehicles Owned: 1958 MGA Coupe
1969 MGB Gt
1995 Ford Bronco

Post by kiwimark »

I have had endless problems with new plastic floats filling with gas days after instalation. Moss replaced them without an issue, they had a faulty batch methinks. There may be still a few dud ones still out there. I found some NOS ones for my B that worked fine and had the brass pivot hinge that makes adjustment easier.

Mark
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Post by VWNate1 »

I too vote for brass floats whenever possible .

The foam floats are nice but , hard driving occasionally makes the hinge part detach from the foam part .

I've used Grose jets and loved them but then , I always use those FUGLY clear plastic , micronic fuel filters and I carry spares in the glove box and will change them at the drop of a hat , in the gas station when I see it change color ~ I don't wait until there's a lot of crud collected .

Most fuel contamination is very fine silt , it collects here & there and when the clump is big enough , you begin to have problems like flooding Grose jets .

Be pro active instead of re active and they'll be fine .
-Nate