Help Wanted: MGB late model engine mount R&R

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
fleshy1

Help Wanted: MGB late model engine mount R&R

Post by fleshy1 »

So...anyone feel like lending me some support (both my engine and me)?
I live in apartment and don't have the resources/space to do this properly.

Both brackets are cracked and the passenger side is starting to bend and deform so I can't let it go any more.

I'd be willing to pay/bribe/sell my first unborn child to any obliging souls. BTW I live near the worlds greatest liquor store so I can get those hard to find liquid refreshments if that is what it takes...

Many thanks!
Eric Triplett
1978 MGB Roadster - 1968 Engine, SU Conversion, full Peco system, K&Ns, 45DM running Pertronix and MSD 6A ignition.
"Electronic ignition, the best thing to happen to carburetors."
Nunyas

Post by Nunyas »

I can't offer ya a place to work on your car, but I feel your pain. I too live in a place that is not conducive to working on your own car.

when ya get to workin' on it, take pics! I like watching/reading documentaries of this sort of stuff :)
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

If you change them one at a time, it isn't bad at all. Support the engine from the bottom, lift slightly, undo mount and replace. Then move to the other side.

I really, really don't want any kids, but I'd be happy to help out anyway. If I can offer any tools or work space let me know.
fleshy1

Post by fleshy1 »

I'm concered about supporting from the bottom, I don't want to damage the oil pan. The way the passenger side mount has cracked I'm thinking that more than support will be required. The engine is going to have to rotate upwards (if you use the drivers side mount as an axis) an inch and a bit to get everything in the proper orientation for a correctly aligned bracket.

If I can avoid troubling people that would be good. What do you think about support/lift from the passenger side part of the pan? Bad idea?
Eric Triplett
1978 MGB Roadster - 1968 Engine, SU Conversion, full Peco system, K&Ns, 45DM running Pertronix and MSD 6A ignition.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I would put a 2x4 across the pan lengthwise or diagonally and put the jack under that. Then the pressure would be on the vertical sides of the pan rather than in the middle. The only other way I can think of is to strap the engine and lift from the top.

I don't have an engine hoist but they are cheap to rent. Or it it helps, my neighbor has one I could borrow. Or possibly even use one of the lifts with a strap around it.
fleshy1

Post by fleshy1 »

Ok. I rented a hoist locally and did the passenger side. The mounting bracket that I pulled out was already welded once and had started cracking again. Also, part of the bracket was completely missing where it attached to the engine block.

I just couldn't bring myself to do the drivers side mount. I don't think it can be done without removing the steering rack since the pinion goes right behind the attachment point.

At any rate the car feels less sloppy.
Eric Triplett
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I'm not familiar with the later model cars, but can't you just move the rack a little without actually removing it from the car?
fleshy1

Post by fleshy1 »

It's not the rack that is the issue, it's the steering rod (pinion) that connects to it. The pinion goes right through the box-shaped frame mount and pretty much prevents all access to the nut that holds the mounting to the frame. I was primarily concerned with the alignment of all that stuff upon re-assembly. I'll have to take a photo to show how nasty the situation is. I told my wife that the English can defy the laws of engineering :P
Eric Triplett
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

It must be different than my early Bs. They have nothing between the rack and the firewall.
fleshy1

Post by fleshy1 »

So here is what I'm dealing with:

If you look closely you can see the pinion rod passing through the frame rail bracket. Also note how that bolt on the right is captured by the block!
Eric Triplett
fleshy1

Post by fleshy1 »

Eric Triplett
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Wow. That's something I've never run into. I see your problem. I wonder why they did that to later cars?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

So... any update? You get that thing in there?
fleshy1

Post by fleshy1 »

UPDATE:

I decided to work on the fact that I didn't have a garage. I fixed that, but doing so didn't change the engine mount :(

Then there was a problem with the carburetors:

Eric Triplett
Nunyas

Post by Nunyas »