What wax would you use on your car and why?

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
Martin Keller
Core Member

What wax would you use on your car and why?

Post by Martin Keller »

Hi All,

So I am planing to wax my 71 GT6 for the first time since the repainting which was just over two years ago.
Yes you read that correctly two years.
My plan is to clay bar the finish to get the surface smooth and clean before applying any wax to the finish.
The present finish is just the single stage paint after it was compounded and polished a week after it was painted.
There are a couple of places that still have some of the compound residue in some seams (the seams on the bonnet [the hood]) that I will need to clean (yes I know I should have removed it along time ago but I sometimes get lazy and besides you would have to look close to see it) so if anyone has a good way of removing compound residue from seams I am all ears and open to suggestions on how to remove the leftover residue.
The real question that I have is what wax should I use after I get the surface clean and smooth.
I have a brand new box of Turtle Wax Ice that was given to me just after I refinished the car which I have never used.
I have done some research on it and it seems to be a good product that holds up well and dose not yellow with time which on a red colored car probably would not be that noticeable in the long run.
I also have a new tin of Zymol Carbon Wax that I purchased that I am considering using. Odd thing that the directions are almost identical to the ICE directions except it states the leftover wax should be refrigerated to preserve it once the can is opened so I am wondering how well it will hold up overtime.
So you know my GT6 is garage kept and has only sat outside over night a couple of times since I refinished it.
I also try not to park under trees or power lines or were birds perch for the obvious reasons.
The paint on the car is a single stage paint and is in good shape to the best of my knowledge even though it is a driver that I try to drive when ever I have the chance as it is a fun car to drive at least for me.
Any suggestions or tips or tricks to removing the compound residue and to what wax you have used and like I am open to as this is going to be my project for this weekend.
Thank in advance.

:drive
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Re: What wax would you use on your car and why?

Post by tannyo »

Red like black is a difficult color to maintain. Stewart uses Groits products for his red MGBGT. You might want to talk to him.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

tannyo wrote:Red like black is a difficult color to maintain. Stewart uses Groits products for his red MGBGT. You might want to talk to him.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/
Thanks Tanny.

Started clay baring the car and dose it make a big difference.
The bonnet (hood) is so slick now and shinny I am almost tempted not to wax it but I know that it now needs the protection.
I am doing a two step cleaning using a commercial cleaning pad that is made like a buffing pad but with hundreds of little rubber diamonds on the surface and then using a clay bar as the secondary cleaner.
Sure glad that this car is not that big as I am not use to doing this much hard work.... :D .....
It sure is neat as you can feel the first process becoming smoother and then when doing the clay bar it is almost as if it is not grabbing anything and gets even slipper the more I rub it on the surface.
Hopefully the wax will make it even shiner and not dull the appearance.
I am going to do a test spot of the two wax's I have to see which one looks better.

Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Polish makes the paint shiny. Wax protects that shine but does nothing to increase it. I use Meguiar's NXT on my cars. There are various waxes that give anything from the "wet" look to a less shiny appearance. Those super glossy wet look waxes will make any flaw stand out more, so not the best thing to use on a driver in my opinion. NXT is a nice, clear wax but has good diffusing properties, so it makes the paint look good while helping to hide minor imperfections. Beyond that, it's incredibly easy to apply and rub off. It goes on as a very thin paste with one hand. You leave it there for a couple hours and then wipe off, again with one hand. I accidentally left wax on a car one time for over a week, and it buffed off without much effort. Try that with some waxes and you'll spend a whole day removing the excess!
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Steve Simmons wrote:Polish makes the paint shiny. Wax protects that shine but does nothing to increase it. I use Meguiar's NXT on my cars. There are various waxes that give anything from the "wet" look to a less shiny appearance. Those super glossy wet look waxes will make any flaw stand out more, so not the best thing to use on a driver in my opinion. NXT is a nice, clear wax but has good diffusing properties, so it makes the paint look good while helping to hide minor imperfections. Beyond that, it's incredibly easy to apply and rub off. It goes on as a very thin paste with one hand. You leave it there for a couple hours and then wipe off, again with one hand. I accidentally left wax on a car one time for over a week, and it buffed off without much effort. Try that with some waxes and you'll spend a whole day removing the excess!
Thanks Steve,
That makes a lot of sense. I am looking for protection more that shine but will take what I can get. I also want easy as I am tired of the clay bar work and will most likely do the waxing tomorrow.
Attached is a photo of the finish before claying and one after.....it is a lot of work for sure but worth in in the end I hope.
Before Clay Baring SM.jpg
Before Clay Baring SM.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 13877 times
After Clay Baring SM.jpg
After Clay Baring SM.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 13877 times
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Hi All,

Ok to day I finished waxing my GT6 after cleaning and clay baring the paint.
I think the results are great as it now shines and is as smooth as a new born's bottom as my wife has said.
Here are three photos of what it looks like now.
Left Side Wax Finished 20160904_143334 SM.jpg
Left Side Wax Finished 20160904_143334 SM.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 13865 times
Right Side Wax Finished 20160904_143316 SM.jpg
Right Side Wax Finished 20160904_143316 SM.jpg (98.68 KiB) Viewed 13865 times
Wax Finished 20160904_143248 SM.jpg
Wax Finished 20160904_143248 SM.jpg (85.77 KiB) Viewed 13865 times
Nice and shiney.
I wound up using the Turtle Wax ICE as it looks better when buffed and seems to be smoother or having less drag.

Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Looks good! The smoothness should be worth a couple of extra MPH.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

tannyo wrote:Looks good! The smoothness should be worth a couple of extra MPH.
Thanks Tanny. Maybe a couple of miles of better fuel millage verse MPH.... :D ....and less dust sticking to the finish.

Have a good Labor Day and be safe out on the roads today.

Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Actually I meant MPG but typed MPH. However, both could apply in this case. Less drag equals more MPG and MPH.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Polishing & Waxing

Post by VWNate1 »

My big question is : what to do about my old beat up elbow joints ? .

That certainly looks good to me .
-Nate
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Nate,

Do what I do. Have somebody else wax the car for you.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Post by VWNate1 »

Tanny ;

You know I don't trust anyone else to do things right ! .
-Nate