Sprite / Midget differential part needed

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
maurice

Sprite / Midget differential part needed

Post by maurice »

I need the lock pin that holds the pinion axle to the carrier. It's about .155" in diameter and maybe 2 inches long. Might you have a spare ?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I don't know Spridgets, but if it's anything like MGB then it's a hardened roll pin. I see that Moss doesn't have them but you can probably find what you need at McMaster-Carr or perhaps Grainger. I'm not sure what area you're in, but for a treasure trove of odd parts, you can try Luky's Hardware Co., which used to be Joe Factor Sales. They are in Burbank on Burbank Blvd. I used to walk out with buckets (literally) of odd hardware.

Anyone else have an idea?
RodFru2U

Harware sugestions

Post by RodFru2U »

In the South Bay / Torrance Area there are a few Great hardware stores with nice " Bolt Rooms ". Love Lady on Carson in Torrance, or Shamrock on 182nd St. Between Main and Broadway in Gardena. I have gone in with a list and filled it. They don't care if you want 1 or 100 they might have it.
maurice

Post by maurice »

Thanks for the leads. I hope to begin my search today.
Maurice
JerryB

Taper pins

Post by JerryB »

Maurice

Could be a Number Zero taper pin, and MAYBE a standard taper pin. Then again it might NOT be a standard and some goofy British Standard piece. But you can do he math........

A zero pin is .156" on the big end and tapers 1/4" per foot. larger industrial supply stores will have standard taper pins and some will sell onesies.

But hey.......unless you just removed the pin for kicks or for cleaning or non destructive crack testing of the cross shaft or gears, AND/OR if you have to scrounge some damaged parts which are no longer availaible or re-setup the ring and pinion, you will be far better off buying a good used third member.

Good luck.
maurice

Post by maurice »

I actually took the third member to bits, not for a pastime, but to replace broken pinion thrust washers and and a pinion axle shaft worn .003"
But you are indeed correct, the 0 X 1.5" taper pin did the deed.