Local clubs have Tech Days? Record them for YouTube?

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
tdskip

Local clubs have Tech Days? Record them for YouTube?

Post by tdskip »

I have to admit that I've been remiss in joining the local clubs, but do any of them have tech days like The Buckeye Triumphs or others.

Seems like we all have some projects, and I for one would be up for getting taken to school on a number of topics from people that have more experience working on pour LBC than I do.

Would be neat to video the sessions and get them up on YouTube. Passing along skills and I get it could help recruit people to the cause!

What do you think?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Of the four clubs I've belonged to, only one has tech sessions. They are usually good but no one has ever recorded them. Every day around here is tech day so feel free to come over and learn from my mistakes! :P
tdskip

Post by tdskip »

What sort of projects do you have going? Happy to come up and help/film.

I think this could be fun and useful.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Right now? Let's see...

'65 B: Front cross member off / full front suspension rebuild, steering rack rebuild, strip and paint engine bay Install engine and gearbox, replace engine bay wiring. Recore radiator, replace oil cooler, install oil thermostat with custom hoses. Rebuild swivel pin assemblies including pressing and reaming new bushings. Rebuild heater assembly.

'58 A: Front disc brake installation, full brake system overhaul including calipers, wheel cylinders, MC and new hoses. Rebuild clutch slave.

'49 TC: Rebuild front and rear suspension / strip and paint in POR15. Rebuild leaf springs. Rebuild brake system including wheel cylinders, MC and hoses. Re-line brake shoes with harder compound. Install Alfin brake drums. Replace front wheel spindles / rebuild swivel pin assemblies including installing and reaming new bushings. Remove and paint engine. Rebuild gearbox. True wheels / replace spokes as necessary.

'67 BGT: Jet coat exhaust manifold and install. Investigate vacuum problem and possible related crankcase breathing issue. Replace side window seals and pads. Replace rear hatch seal.

That's off the top of my head. There's plenty more to do! :oops:
tdskip

Post by tdskip »

If we try to keep the video byte size (sorry, computer geek joke) the following jump out at me;

'65 B: steering rack rebuild, replace oil cooler, install oil thermostat with custom hoses.

'58 A: Front disc brake installation, wheel cylinders, MC and new hoses. Rebuild clutch slave.

'49 TC: MC and hoses. Re-line brake shoes with harder compound. True wheels / replace spokes as necessary.

'67 BGT: Replace side window seals and pads. Replace rear hatch seal.

What do you think?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I gotta do it anyway so if you want to record the work then that's fine by me. But you can't show when I screw it up! :lol:

From your list, I have a few comments...

The MGB steering rack is already disassembled as is the suspension. Today I'm installing and reaming new king pin bushings. I can put the rack together real quick and do it again, no big deal, but the new hi-ratio rack and pinion isn't even ordered yet and it's coming from the UK. The oil cooler is already in the garbage. The hoses will be measured out and then manufactured to my specs by a local custom hydraulics shop.

The MGA hasn't been touched yet but I'm in the process of rebuilding the donor parts.

The TC hasn't been touched yet but will be very soon. I will probably farm out the shoe linings since there's a good shop nearby and they are cheap.

BGT is no hurry, I just have a few rattles that the seals and pads will take care of.

BTW, I got the joke. Guess I'm a a computer geek too! :P
tdskip

Post by tdskip »

Hey man, they are your cars so any order or timing you want! No need to do things twice.

Maybe we can keep this as a free floating idea - I might try to record a couple of the projects I'm about to give a whirl as well...