Rust Repair

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
Miser

Rust Repair

Post by Miser »

I've stripped down my 69 MGB GT and in general it is in very good condition. However I found some minor rust where the passinger's feet would be. There are 3 holes about 1/8 inch accross. I believe I can repair it rather than replace the entire pannel. Also there is a little surface rust(hasn't eaten thru)on the floor of the trunk/boot where the spare tire is. I read on Moss' message board how to do it and it seems easy enough. Does anyone have an best practices or any sugestions on rust repair?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Rust Repair

Post by Steve Simmons »

I've been thinking about your issue since your PM earlier. Both of these places are very common for rust because they are low points where water can pool. If the metal doesn't feel too thin, I would just patch as necessary rather than replace panels. If you do replace the panels make sure to support the chassis, as the floor pans are partly structural. If it were me and the metal was basically sound, I would just patch the holes by welding or with epoxy putty and then coat the entire floor with silver POR15, which is good for filling gaps and holes in rough metal. I would then top coat this with standard POR15 black and go up the sides a bit. This should will prevent rust from forming again, at least from the inside.

I believe Chris (gorms68) is going through this right now. Care to chime in, Chris?

Wet carpets and clogged fresh air vent drains are the most common cause for floor pan rust. Leaky boot seals are the common cause for boot floor rust. Be sure to also check the underside of the boot floor if you ever take the fuel tank off. Water collecting between the floor and the tank can rust out both of them.
gorms68
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1914 Chandler model 15
1929 Chandler model 65
1966 MGB roadster
1968 Mustang Dlx coupe

Re: Rust Repair

Post by gorms68 »

Yes Steve you are correct. I took my shell to the body shop about two weeks ago. Now that the rain has passed they were supposed to take the shell "next door" to have the body sand blasted. I am lucky as there is almost no rust on my shell. The floors had only a small amount of surface rust which I found could be wire brushed off to reveal a shiny solid surface. Once the shell is back at the body shop they are going to coat the underside, floor, trunk floor, and most of the engine compartment with a gallon of POR-15. Then prime and paint with the rest of the car. The shop has done this before it seems as he knew just what was needed after I discussed with him the plan to protect the bottom side from rust and chips. I am attaching some pictures of the car before the as I left it at the shop.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
Chris Gorman