Souce for high efficiency MGB radiator

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
MGBJockey
Vehicles Owned: 69 MGB Roadster

Souce for high efficiency MGB radiator

Post by MGBJockey »

Steve, (et al)
I believe I read somewhere that you have a radiator in a B with extra rows. First, did it improve cooling? If so what was the source? I have a standard aftermarket replacement radiator in my 69 roadster. I don't believe it is a suitable foundation to be reworked.

I start to cook on long grades, even in just moderately hot weather (90^). I am planning on making the drive to MG 2009 in Breckenridge in late June and want to upgrade before then. What do you suggest?
Frank
MGBJockey
'69 MGB Roadster in Jag Sapphire Blue
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Souce for high efficiency MGB radiator

Post by Steve Simmons »

Mine was done by The Radiator Works in Northridge. They installed a 5-row core on my original '67 tanks. The quality of work was terrible, from solder drips to splotchy paint. BUT... the radiator works beautifully. I took it home, stripped the paint, sanded down the solder edges to make it pretty and then gave it a nice coat of paint. Now I'm happy with it. To be fair, it arrived functionally perfect but there was little attention to detail on the visual aspect so if you use them, be prepared to clean up the work a bit. I do know that they do a lot of work for shops in the area, including at least one British shop in Chatsworth. The Radiator Works is located at 18255 Parthenia St, Northridge, CA 91325.

Here are a few photos after I cleaned it up...
Attachments
MGB Radiator
MGB Radiator
MGB Radiator
MGB Radiator
MGB Radiator
MGB Radiator
MGB Engine Bay
MGB Engine Bay
MGBJockey

Post by MGBJockey »

Thanks Steve. I though I had read you had found a source for in-stock higher capacity radiators. Sorry, I also got a lead to Mattson Radiator in Stanton, which is somewhat closer. I hear Mattson pays particular attention to detail. My current radiator is aftermarket, likely from Moss. I was told by a couple of other owners today during the SD Rolling British Car drive that my aftermarket is not likely a good foundation for conversion to a 5-row core. Tanks not substantial enough. What's your thought on that?
Frank
MGBJockey
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I've heard the same thing about repro tanks. As far as I know, they are cheap Asian units made from thin metal. I've always used original tanks in my cars so I don't have any personal experience with those things.

I used Mattson's for my MGA's radiator. Unfortunately they insisted that a 5-row core could not be fit to an MGB radiator without custom (read: expensive) tanks, so I didn't use them for any of the Bs. During the MGA job they failed to install the 3-row in my MGA that I asked for and instead installed a 2-row MX core, and took a very long time to do it. On the flip side the radiator looked beautiful, but unfortunately it has failed to keep the car as cool as it should. My experience may have been a fluke, but I'm reminded of it every time I take the MGA out in the Summer months and have to watch the temperature gauge carefully. I paid a fortune for the job and got sub-standard cooling, but the workmanship was good.
gorms68
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1914 Chandler model 15
1929 Chandler model 65
1966 MGB roadster
1968 Mustang Dlx coupe

Post by gorms68 »

Try Harry and Sons in Rosemead, CA. Might be a bit of a drive but they are the best! Most of the top museums and collectors use them for their brass cars. they have done all my cars and my in-laws 1934 MG PA. The place is a real hole in the wall with hidden treasures all around. You wouldn't believe what thy have stashed around there. Bob (son of Harry original owner) is quite a collector. He and his wife are great people and can do any radiator. They know quality parts. many of the shop they use to deal with have gone under as they compromised quality and lost the art of building a solid radiator. I guarantee the core you buy from them will be many times better than the one you get from the far east.
Chris Gorman
kiwimark
Vehicles Owned: 1958 MGA Coupe
1969 MGB Gt
1995 Ford Bronco

Post by kiwimark »

Hi
Cambridge Motorspots in the UK does stock aluminum radiators for most model MG's. But be warned, sit down before reading the price. They aint cheap, but depending on your budget it may be an option. They also have really neat O ringed alloy sumps (oil pans). http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/

Mark
MGBJockey

Post by MGBJockey »

Thanks Steve, Mark, and others.

I have (2) highly reputable sources for $500~$600 aluminum radiators, but I would much rather rework an original radiator from tanks that are more substantial than my cheap aftermarket radiator. Know of anyone with an original sitting around?
Frank
MGBJockey
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

It's been a while but I saw a few in a pile at Darrin's MG Service in Chatsworth several months ago.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Try Dave Wellwood in Ventura as he might have one or two in storage.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
MGBJockey

Post by MGBJockey »

Steve,
Your block, valve cover, and water pump are the same color as mine. Did you use Deep Canyon Red? If not what did you use? i have a water pump on order from the B-Hive and will need to paint it before the install. Want it to match as close as possible.
Frank
MGBJockey
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Yes sir, I always use DCR on MGA and MGB engines. It's the closest color to a correct shade I've found in a quality spray paint. In the attached photo above, I believe I had just re-painted the valve cover which is why it's a different shade. The paint darkens with use, probably from the heat.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: High efficiency MGB radiator

Post by VWNate1 »

Frank ;

Didja ever get this sorted out ? .

I hope you have both the foam piece and the top rubber air dam seal as they really help by ensuring proper airflow through the core rather that around it...

My good shop in San Fernando closed up sad to say , he built me several custom radiators with four row cores using my original tanks , never had any heating troubles as increasing the core allows the thermostat do do all the work .

I still have his radiators in my Mets and my '49 Chevy shop truck , all have been Death Valley tested .

Proper ignition timing , valve adjustment and carby balancing are all critical too .
-Nate