Tools and more tools

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
spitfire
Core Member

Tools and more tools

Post by spitfire »

So now that I am a proud owner of an MGB that needs some work. I need to know what tools will be necessary. I figure at least a socket set and some screwdrivers. But beyond that I am at a loss. What are the recommendations?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Tools and more tools

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hoo boy is that a loaded question! Off the top of my head these would be the basics if you plan to do most of the basic maintenance yourself. Don't let this list scare you, not all of these tools are necessary and it isn't as much as it looks like. Also remember that 99% of what you will run across on an MGB is standard (SAE) and NOT Metric. Don't bother with Metric tools for this car.

Must-buy tools:
3/8" socket set with a couple extensions and universal joints
Various screwdrivers (flat and philips) of different lengths and sizes
Spark plug socket
Combination wrenches (open on one end, box on the other)
Multimeter
Timing light
Feeler gauge set
Spark plug gap gauge (Craftsman sells a nice one with feeler and spark plug gauges in one tool)
Wire strippers / cutters
Pliers (standard and slim-nosed)
Adjustable wrench (a couple sizes is good)
Tire pressure gauge
Floor jack (the jack in the trunk should never be used for maintenance)
Jack stands (never get under a car without them)
Repair manual (Haynes is a good start, Bentley covers more detailed repair, the more manuals the better!)
Moss Motors catalog (free)

More tools that would be handy:
1/4" socket set
Torque wrench (5-80 lbs/ft is the most useful)
Posi-drive screwdrivers
Ratcheting combo wrenches (my favorite are the Craftsman locking flex-heads)
Crimping tool for electrical connectors
Vice grips
Hammer (20 ounce is good if you're only buying one)
Punch and chisel set
Slip-joint pliers
Side-cutters (dykes)
Tap and die set
Pick set
Various files
Work lamp, flashlight, head light, etc.
Hack saw

Spare parts you should have in the car, especially while sorting out the bugs:
Fan belt
Radiator hoses (one upper, one lower)
Ignition parts (points, condenser, distributor cap, plug wires, spark plugs, rotor cap)
Ignition coil
Electrical tape
Duct tape (don't ask!)

If you really want to get into it later on:
Air compressor
Impact wrench
Air ratchet
Blow gun
Eye and ear protection
Drill press
Bench grinder
Hand power drill (corded or cordless)

Other supplies you should have on-hand:
20W-50 motor oil
Simple Green
Multipurpose grease
Anti-seize compound
Brake spray cleaner
Electrical contact cleaner
Latex gloves (keeps your hands clean when doing really grimy stuff)
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

That looks like a good list, and better than stabbing in the dark for what I will need. The car came with a Chilton, I was thinking of grabbing a Haynes anyway. I also saw those glovebox manuals. So, something smaller to keep with the car for that quick fix I guess.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I'd just throw the Haynes in the trunk or under a seat. Don't bother with the little ones. You can buy reprints of the factory glove box manual, and those are handy for quick reference on things like fluids. The most important tools you can carry are a cell phone and AAA card though. ;)

If you want to, swing by the house any day and I'll show you some tools and basic maintenance.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Steve Simmons wrote: The most important tools you can carry are a cell phone and AAA card though. ;)
Steve you forgot the kitchen sink for cleaning up.... :D :lol: :D ....
The AAA and a cell phone are a good idea I have to agree.

By the way congrads Spitfire on getting an MGB. If you need some parts for the engine or trans let me know as I have two of each sitting in my hobbe shop / storage unit.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

Well after picking up, they state there is a crack, whether it is the block, or heads I don't yet know. But they did say that it was a new engine. I think from at least 01 since that was the last time it was registered. For some reason the bonnet release doesn't want to engage. So I am going to be looking into that this weekend. As well as a general cleanup.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Thanks Martin, I did forget to add the kitchen sink to the "More tools that might be handy" list. :lol:

Spit, You should be able to release the hood by going through the grill with a screwdriver or hook of some kind. There is a lever that will move to the right, normally pulled on by the release cable. If you can grab that and move it far enough, the hood should pop up. If the cable feels like it's working (pulls out to a stop and then springs back) then it may just be a matter of having someone pull up on the hood while the cable is pulled. The latch could simply be misaligned.

As for the crack, you can't trust anyone elses diagnosis. The engine should have a compression test as well as a leak-down test performed. You can also visually inspect the block and head to look for cracks. Remove the valve cover (two nuts on top) and use a magnifying glass (there's another tool to add to the list!) to look for cracks around the valves and between the spark plugs, mainly between plugs 2 and 3. If there's a crack in the head then you can pick up a new one for not too much money. If it's a crack in the block then the cheapest route might be to grab a good used engine rather than rebuild yours. You can get one pretty cheap.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Spitfire if you need a head let me know as I have three heads for the 1800cc engine, one just referbrished and ready to be installed, another on an engine that runs but dose not hold more than 10psi oil pressure, and one that needs overhalling. That goes for anyone else that might need one also.

After thinking about your post a lot of times if the head has been reworked and not retourqued after being installed and run the head gasket will blow between cylinders 2 and 3 and will cause a water leak which acts like a crack in the block or head also.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

Ok, so what size spark plug socket do I need, I noticed that there are at least four sizes. I also noticed that it was cheaper to purchase them all separately rather than in a four pack. Anyway I am heading back to Sears today to pick up a couple more things.
It would be nice if the Sears in Santa Monica had the tool section on the first floor rather than the basement and had a shopping cart for the tools.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

It's a good day when you need a shopping cart to hold all your new tools. Color me jealous!

The spark plugs take a standard 13/16" socket. A short extension of 3" or so is sometimes handy as well.