"Cedric's Wilderness Adventure"

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Wayne Gratiot
Vehicles Owned: 67 Innocenti Mini Cooper

"Cedric's Wilderness Adventure"

Post by Wayne Gratiot »

First of all Steve, thanks for a very fun day and the ride on Old Topanga in the TC. I was very impressed with the handling and ride of the TC and have newfound respect for the engineering that the MG boys put into it. It must have been quite a car in it's day and can hold it's own with much more technically superior cars of today. As you pointed out today, we would have had even more fun were it not for the modern cars holding us up on Old Topanga. Again, I must say, very impressive little car and I enjoyed the video I made on the ride when I got back home.

But now on to Cedric. When we were talking about his "Wilderness Adventure" today, I didn't realize just how far down into the "valley of no return" you had gone. Knowing very well the route you had taken, I was amazed that Cedric had survived at all. Once you left "E.C.C." and started down into the valley, you were where only hardcore 4-wheel drive vehicles and dirt bikes usually go. I have only gone as far as the river in a friend's pick-up truck many, many years ago. To have continued on past that point in Cedric is incredible, especially near sunset. I wish Cedric could talk because he would have a great story to tell.

Your story about the trip on your MG Nuts site is very exciting and I was pulling for Cedric as I read on and on. I will never look at Cedric the same way again. Next time I see him, I wll give him a big thumbs up and a knowing wink at what he went through. Definitely a lifelong memory for you in surviving that day with some great driving that will be hard to match. By the way, I would have gone back to the coast by 192 from there. Might as well since it would seem like a super-highway after that adventure.

Thanks again for a great day!!!
Wayne
"I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!"
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

It was my pleasure to open up the garage and bring the TC out for you. It was a beautiful day in the hills! Kinda fun too when you're being held up by modern cars while driving a 60-year-old car on spindly little 4" tires. :thumbs:

In Cedric's adventure I did get some really strange looks from people in trucks. Can't say I blame them either. I didn't know what I was doing out there either!

By the way, I did make that left turn. :D
Wayne Gratiot

Post by Wayne Gratiot »

I was pretty sure you would have made the left turn. You are just like me and always looking for the curvy road instead of a boring straight highway with traffic. Who cares how much longer it takes. Fun is always the best course.

Next time you get the itch to do some more 'splorin, give me a call and I'll grab the camcorder. It is so much fun to see what is around the next turn and the next one and......
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I'm just waiting for the TC video. I forgot the sound was on. Hope I didn't say anything dumber than usual! :oops:
Wayne Gratiot

Post by Wayne Gratiot »

Nope. We were both quite well-behaved on what we said and aside from me trying to keep the camcorder below the wiper module, it came out pretty good. Actually, keeping both feet firmly planted on the firewall and both hands on the camcorder, I felt like I was riding a cool rollercoaster with my hands straight up in the air. Pretty good lateral G's for 4" wide tires and I had a ball trying to film the whole ride.

I'll make a copy on a DVD for you and have it ready for the next time I see you.

Also, after reading "Cedric's Wilderness Adventure", I looked and found a video of my old 85 Z51 Vette on ECC back in the late 80's when there were very few potholes. I'll make a DVD of that run too for you. Should be interesting to see the difference in the road surface after what you went through with Cedric.
Wayne Gratiot

Post by Wayne Gratiot »

I just looked at the date of the 85 Vette ride on ECC and it was later than I thought. It was from July 7, 1991. I really want to watch it, but I have to get moving and get on my ride for today which is the San Marcos Pass, Solvang, Santa Rosa Rd and Jalama Beach Rd loop. I'm not going to clean the Mini or anything other than check tires and oil and water.

Also had a big surprise when I took the Vette ride DVD out of the case. I had stashed 3 DVDs in the same case and one of them was the 07 Labor Day Run! So I did have another copy after all. That means the copy I brought down yesterday is yours to keep along with the Lake Casitas Loop DVD. That was nice.

Anyway, I'm off on today's ride at about 10:30 and have fun getting the MGC back on the road today.