Off Topic: Thoughts on The Commons

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Fifty Six MGA
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1954 Velocette LE Motorbike
1956 MGA
1971 BMW 2002 tii (Sold)
the most generic gold tan minivan you can imagine
A pile of kayaks and bicycles.

Off Topic: Thoughts on The Commons

Post by Fifty Six MGA »

Sorry for the off topic post. As some of you may know, I started a business last year, making and selling ice pops (Popsicles) from whole fruit and all natural ingredients. It's been going well, and keeping me very busy.

I've been approached by the management of The Commons in Calabasas about having a seasonally permanent cart located there. Obviously this would require a significant amount of logistical support, even just in terms of supplying and staffing, probably even buying another truck/van for my business. I don't have much experience in that part of the world. I think I stopped at the bookstore once and there was a Lamborghini group in the parking lot with 25-30 cars hanging out.

Since I know many of you live in that general area, and I know runs have started from there, I was wondering what you thought about the idea. Is it generally a pretty popular/busy shopping area? Any other thoughts?

Geoff
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Off Topic: Thoughts on The Commons

Post by Steve Simmons »

I used to live nearby and went there all the time. It was always a fairly busy center on the weekends. Certain spots within the center seemed to get more kids than others. If I had to pick a spot right now without thinking about it, I'd say try to get near Marmalade Cafe, the movie theater, etc over on the west side. Opposite of where we meet for our runs. It seems like most of the families are over there for the fast food and theater. Your only real competition would be Jeni's Ice Cream a few doors down. But if your sign is out on the sidewalk then people will see you first.

When I was growing up, Calabasas was for people who couldn't afford to live in Woodland Hills. Now it's the hip spot for rich people with bratty rich kids.