Introduce yourself!

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Adam, it was great to meet you guys, albeit briefly, at the last run. Gorgeous Morgan you have there! :thumbs:
Fifty Six MGA
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1954 Velocette LE Motorbike
1956 MGA
1971 BMW 2002 tii (Sold)
the most generic gold tan minivan you can imagine
A pile of kayaks and bicycles.

Post by Fifty Six MGA »

Adam,

I liked your Morgan a lot. Gorgeous.

(I was in the red MGA with my wife that day. )

Geoff
Vehicles Owned: Morgan Plus 8
35th Anniversary

Post by Adam »

Thank you guys! Hope to see you at the next run!
GregBurns
Vehicles Owned: 1977 MGB

Post by GregBurns »

Hello,

Recently joined the site and have lurked for a couple weeks. Bought an MGB a few weeks ago. Malcolm's rebuilding the shocks right now. It's a '77 re-VINd as a '66 (to escape smog I guess). Chrome bumper conversion along with shaved side-lights and dropping the front an inch or two to add to the illusion (all done by a PO).

Had a '72 "back in the day", but sold it when family growth dictated a four door sedan. I've been tired of four-door sedans for ten years or so now, but didn't have the extra garage space to pick up a "B" until a move put me and the missus in a new (to us) house with a three-car garage. Was finally able to pull the trigger around a month ago. Finally (yesssss!).

Quickly joined three MG/B clubs and have been browsing forums. Want to have a fun ride for weekends and whenever the mood strikes me. Got me a "B" now and that qualifies in spades. Once the sorting out is done (lots of delayed maintenance the immediate past-PO didn't bother with) then will join some rides. I see a posting today about a Monrovia one for next year perhaps. Looks like fun.

Want to thank all the big-brains up front for all the good advice my lurking's already garnered, including Steve's recommendation for Malcom (who really seems to know his stuff). I'm sure that soaking up others' experience on the forums will help me avoid substantial pain in the near term.

Would also post a photo of my little red bundle of joy, but sorry, can't figure out how to do it on this forum.

Regards,

Greg
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Greg, welcome! Many years ago I grew tired of 4-door sedans too, which is when I sold mine and replaced it with a '67 MGB GT for daily use. It's been my daily driver ever since. Well, except for the past several months it's been in the body shop!

By the way, you should be able to post photos now. New accounts must be approved before full privileges are granted in order to combat spam, and your account is now fully active!
GregBurns

Post by GregBurns »

Thanks, Steve, but still can't unfortunately figure out how to post images. I see the "Img" box up above the text entry area, but all it gives me is the Img in brackets and a close-Img in brackets, and I'm too green to know what to do from there.

Help?

Thanks,

Greg
GregBurns

Post by GregBurns »

Doh! Guess I could scroll down the screen a bit and look before I post. Sorry...

GB
Attachments
1.jpg
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

You figured it out faster than I could type the instructions!

Also note that if you want your car posted in the Member's Cars gallery on the main site, post a photo of it in the thread entitled "Post a picture of your ride". All cars posted there are automatically added to the gallery! Or just let me know if you want something posted and I can do it manually.

By the way, sharp looking B!
Fifty Six MGA
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1954 Velocette LE Motorbike
1956 MGA
1971 BMW 2002 tii (Sold)
the most generic gold tan minivan you can imagine
A pile of kayaks and bicycles.

Post by Fifty Six MGA »

That's a good looking "B".

Where do you live? The group traditionally get's together for a fun drive on most major holidays, typically meeting over in Malibu for a drive in the mtns there.

Post by GregBurns »

Malibu sounds good. Used to drive "swiftly" through there back in my late teens, along with other local favorites (Mulholland, etc.). Lived in "the valley" back then (60's- 70's).

Now I'm out in Upland, so still close enough to join in now and again.
Greg100
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB

Post by Greg100 »

Hi, Greg here. I recently bought a '67 MGB and am just coming up to speed with the local clubs. I have had two MG's in the past. My son and I restored a "barn find" MGA Twin Cam (YD3-1870) back in the '70's and I had another restored '67 MGB in the late '80's. I think the Twin Cam is still registered in California but is not in the Twin Cam registry. The other '67 MGB went to Europe. It has been a love hate relationship with MG's and I guess I just can't stay away because here I am back for another. My latest acquisition is a driver and that is how I intend to use it. I have had to put in some new bits and pieces ( steering rack, front suspension bushings, brakes, head gasket, etc) and it is finally getting a few miles on it to check out the updates. I'm a great fan of Barnie Gaylord and the "MGA With and Attitude" and all his driving adventures. I look forward to participating in as many "drives" as I can.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome Greg! You're a man after my own heart. Driving them is what it's all about! My '67 BGT is my daily driver, and my '65 B has been a daily driver most of its life (my grandfathers, then my fathers, and then mine as my first car). But the majority of my adventures are in my '49 TC which we drive on all types of tours from weekend getaways up the coast to multi-thousand mile trips around the US. It's definitely love-hate sometimes but we know which one always wins. ;)
tykluss18
Vehicles Owned: 1997 BMW M3 Coupe

Sold: 1971 MG Midget

Post by tykluss18 »

Hello all, my name is Tyson and many of you know me as Larry's son. Today I bought my first British car, a 1971 MG Midget. It is a complete car (minus the original dash) that runs great. It has a couple brake and electrical problems. I'm planning to do a rolling restoration and get it running well enough to take around town and on the runs and such. I'll be starting a restoration blog to track all the progress. Looking forward to getting to know you all! :thumbs:

Tyson
HealeyBN7
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 Peerless GT
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

tykluss18 wrote:Hello all, my name is Tyson and many of you know me as Larry's son. Today I bought my first British car, a 1971 MG Midget... Tyson
Way to go Tyson! It has been a good week for buying British cars.

Can't wait to see your new ride and on the fun runs behind the wheel!
Dean
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey Tyson, nice to have another young'un in the group! :thumbs:
Brad
Vehicles Owned: 1969 Triumph Spitfire

Post by Brad »

Hey everybody,

After a short period of lurking I thought I should register and say hello - I've been on the last couple SoCal TT's and Nameless Drives, so if you remember a tall guy in a faded metallic pickle green Spitfire - that's probably me!

I bought my first Spitfire when I was 15 years old. My neighbor had just purchased a Fiat 124 Spider and was selling his 1972 Spitfire, which had fallen on hard times. (I gave him the cash and pushed the car 50 feet so that it sat derelict in front of my house instead of his.) I thrashed that poor Spitfire to within an inch of its life (and mine) before selling it when my family moved.

I have had my current 1969 for (gasp) six years now. I have taken my sweet time getting it sorted out, but as of right now it is behaving reasonably well. I'm looking to get it painted in the near future, at which point my wife foolishly believes that I will be "done" with it. Ha!

Hope to see you on the road - Brad
Attachments
Spitfire.jpg
Spitfire.jpg (130.33 KiB) Viewed 26052 times
Last edited by Brad on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome Brad! I like the faded metallic pickle green Spitfire. Lots of character! Hope to see you on the next run.
Brad
Vehicles Owned: 1969 Triumph Spitfire

Post by Brad »

Thanks Steve - the color is unique, I'll grant you that.

I'm thinking that the original owner, who reportedly kept the car at his vacation property in the Greater Lake Tahoe Metro Area, must have really really liked Ford's lime green metallic paint. Maybe he had a Mustang, too.

There's no real clue as to why it was resprayed, or where the original commission plate ended up- but hey, that's life. More questions than answers!

Brad
darkleaf
Vehicles Owned: 1969 MGB GT
1934 MG NA

Post by darkleaf »

Hello!

I've finally found time to do a proper introduction here. My name is Leif and I have owned my 1969 MGB GT since June of 2000. Some of you already know me as I have attended some of your car shows and holiday runs. Others may know me from ordering parts at Moss Motors (I work in sales) (Hi Steve! Hi Malcolm!). I'm also active on MGE, BCF, and a few other car forums. Anyways, here's what you all want to see, pictures of my car(s)!

When I first bought it, still in its original paint (primrose):

I didn't like the color so I painted it black:

That paint job was not particularly good, so last year I started over. I had it painted BRG, built a new engine with a supercharger, and put some sebring valances on it.

I also pit crew for my dad when he races his 1934 MG NA special.

That car has been in my family since the early 50's, and I hope to carry on the racing tradition when my dad retires from vintage racing.

I've been lurking the forum for a while, but now that I've introduced myself I will be posting fairly often. See you guys around!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Well it's about time you posted something, you slacker! :P

I don't think I've seen the car since it was painted. Looks great!
darkleaf
Vehicles Owned: 1969 MGB GT
1934 MG NA

Post by darkleaf »

Thanks Steve! Yep, I'm a slacker... I'm sure you noticed that I haven't actually finished putting all the trim pieces back on. Couldn't resist posting a picture of the new paint!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I was daily driving my GT for six months before I finally put the rest of the trim on. Among other things, the back of the car just said "MG T" because I ran out of fixes for the letters. :roll:
Austin_Caccavo
Vehicles Owned: 1987 BMW 535is

Post by Austin_Caccavo »

Hello, I'm Austin. Some of you already know me through my videos. I am Dean's son (HealeyBN7). Sadly I do not drive....but I can skateboard. I have an interest in cars and filming and am currently saving my money to buy my dads 1987 BMW 535IS. I've driven it a couple times and had lots of fun at 30MPH in a stick.

I am working on a documentary, with Steve's guidance, about original owners and their connection to their cars. Hope to have something to show you guys soon.

-Austin Caccavo
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey, nice to see you on the forum, Austin! I'm looking forward to seeing that documentary.
sobastrace
Vehicles Owned: 1948 Dodge Pilot House
1955 Ford Fairlane
1960 Austin Healey Frog Eye
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
1969 MG B-GT
1973 MG Midget
1984 Porsche 911
And a commuter car and a SUV

Post by sobastrace »

Hi Everyone, My name is Spencer and I live in the SoCal Desert. I have been a car guy since before I actually had a license. I continue to learn with each vehicle I own.

I stumbled on this forum last night while researching some MGB stuff and at 2:30 this morning (after 4 hours) finally stopped reading all of the restoration projects.

I am not very fast with my projects (both the economy and having a 7 year old take its toll) but I do try to make some progress each month. I am currently wrenching on an MGB-GT that I picked up for cheap years ago and have been undoing all the questionable repairs that have been done to it. The last owner was a man who bought the car as a father and son project, and he let his young son do most of the work to learn.

I have gotten it to where it moves on its own power, has a cheapy paint job that works fine for an around town driver and most importantly it does okay until it hits about 115 degrees F outside and the heat takes it toll.

I have been thinking about finishing up the little details and the rest of the gripe list on the B so I can move to my real project which is a 73 Midget that i found sunk into the dirt at a guys farm in the Devore area. I took that down to the tub and had the car dunked at L&M stripping in northern LA. I will pull some photos of both of these projects so you guys can see where they both stand.

I look forward to getting to know the vintage motoring crew, but for now I just have a major case of garage and car envy after going through all the forums last night.