Introduce yourself!

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Whitworth Ranch
Vehicles Owned: 1958 Thames Van

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Whitworth Ranch »

I am Mark, a man of cars, of driving, and of motorcycles, and riding. The newest car I own is a '71 XJ6 (recent BaT thing) but I'm pretty sure it's going away tomorrow. Plenty of Jags left, though. There is a '58 Magnette and a '58 Thames Van, also, plus a '45 Seagrave fire engine with a bitchin' and completely seized 462-cubic-inch flat-head V-12. Magnette will be a goer soon, the Thames is mid-resto. Really, I shouldn't say that, because that would imply that it will take seven more years to finish. So, the Thames is almost finished...
Early summer, perhaps.

Because they are cars, I like to use them that way.

Hope to meet Steve and some of the others sometime.

Really dying for a prewar MG, but the closest I suspect I will get is a TC. Been aching for a TC, actually. But all I've ever done is sat in one whilst stationary. There is every indication, however, that I will enjoy driving one.
Hope to find out soon.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Mark, good to see you post! First things first... did you say fire engine? :D I've always wanted my own vintage fire engine. And like you, I dream of a pre-war MG. I've sat in them, driven them, drooled on them, but as yet never actually owned one. And a flathead V-12? Now that I gotta see one of these days! I think we need a Vintage Motoring garage tour. I'll bring the TC, you bring the fire engine. :)
Whitworth Ranch

Garage Tour wouldn't take too long... The Seagrave engine is a thing of beauty. 24 plugs, a great twin-head distributor. By all means, bring down the TC, but that 18,000 pounds of American Fire Apparatus won't budge!
Mark
bachldrs
Vehicles Owned: '53 MG TD
'58 MG ZBV Magnette
'63 MG Farina Magnette Mk IV
'65 MGB
'69 MGC/GT
'73 MGB/GT

Post by bachldrs »

Hi all,

' Just want to introduce myself. This is my first login and I'm delighted that the first poster I saw was Steve Simmons. Steve, you and I have discussed our drives across Nevada on US 50. Only I have to admit I wimped out and did it in an air-conditioned B/GT whereas Steve did it in a TC. I'm really infatuated with the idea of driving my MGs, but I have to concede, Steve has taken my ambitions to the next level.

Just a couple weeks ago, we moved from Harbor Beach MI to the Port Huron MI area. So, I had a new shop built for the MGs and it is just barely finished. In fact, the entire contents for the new shop are still in my old shop in Harbor Beach. So there's my next challenge. I also need to insulate the new shop, and build workbenches and storage. Oh, and I also need to finish my ZB Magnette before MG2011 in Reno. What am I doing at this computer? I've got work to do!

Cheers,
Allen Bachelder
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Allen! Great to "see" you. :) It's funny, after all the hard work building my shop I'm still envious when other people get to start designing a new one. I guess it's the same idea as people who enjoy restoring a car and once done find they don't enjoy owning it as much as when it was in pieces. If you need any ideas let me know. I've been involved in several garage remodels over the years!

In any case, welcome to the forum and see you in Reno! :drive
Dave B
Vehicles Owned: 1970 Porsche 914-6
1959 Autobianchi
1970 Porsche 911S

Post by Dave B »

Hello all
My name is Dave Bouzaglou and hail from Southern California. I have been a car nut since a wee lad of 5. I've owned a number of Cooper S's, inc the new bmw version :D , some eyetalian cars, a couple Cobras, and lots of Porsches.
My current street and track car is a 1970 original 914-6 that i've modified extensively.

I own a Porsche repair /restoration shop in Van Nuys, Ca
I organize a couple backroads drives every year. New Years Day (which leaves from my shop for a 3 hour tour... a 3 hour tour :) ) and the Targa California- a 3 day event open to all makes and models of cars from 1975 and older.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome, Dave! I wonder if your tour and ours will run into each other on the 1st. Well, not literally I hope! Sounds like we might need a whole thread just for the cars you own or have owned. :thumbs:
Bristol2002
Vehicles Owned: 69 built BMW 2002
Supercharged M3
535i

Post by Bristol2002 »

Hello everyone,
My name is Ahmed and I have the vintage car chronic virus. I don't think I will ever be cured (because I don't want to). My baby is a 69 built BMW 2002 (hey John from the faq board 8) )
I have modded the car nicely to handle my abuse and weekend spirited Kanan road/hwy 33 mountain runs. I look forward to spend time here and learn more about my new obsession with British cars. I noticed there are quite a few here :D so either you are going to Britishize me or I am gonna Germanize you :devil: its all good and I love all classics.

Later
Ahmed
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey Ahmed, welcome! I nearly bought a 2002 once. I think the British disease is more powerful though, because I ended up with three additional M.G.s instead. Then again, if an early 3-Series presented itself for the price of an M.G., I might be persuaded to jump ship. :thumbs:

By the way, I don't want to be cured either. :D
Bristol2002
Supercharged M3
535i

Post by Bristol2002 »

Steve Simmons wrote:Hey Ahmed, welcome! I nearly bought a 2002 once. I think the British disease is more powerful though, because I ended up with three additional M.G.s instead. Then again, if an early 3-Series presented itself for the price of an M.G., I might be persuaded to jump ship. :thumbs:

By the way, I don't want to be cured either. :D
Thank you Steve. Your garage is stunning man. Feel free to email me the hi res pic of that front drive pic. The early 3 series (E30) indeed is a good buy if you find one that's in good shape and not abused. A good daily driver would be a 318is. Zippy and doesn't gulp gas either. It can be setup nicely for track as well. I'll keep an eye open for ya.

I went to the British Marquee SCS hoping to see a flood of MGs, but didn't see as many as I hoped to see. I hope to see one up close and personal one day specially an MGB GT. I will ask in the proper threads later.

Thanks
Ahmed
Bristol2002
Supercharged M3
535i

Post by Bristol2002 »

Dave B wrote:Hello all
My name is Dave Bouzaglou and hail from Southern California. I have been a car nut since a wee lad of 5. I've owned a number of Cooper S's, inc the new bmw version :D , some eyetalian cars, a couple Cobras, and lots of Porsches.
My current street and track car is a 1970 original 914-6 that i've modified extensively.

I own a Porsche repair /restoration shop in Van Nuys, Ca
I organize a couple backroads drives every year. New Years Day (which leaves from my shop for a 3 hour tour... a 3 hour tour :) ) and the Targa California- a 3 day event open to all makes and models of cars from 1975 and older.
Oh maaan Dave is here... can I say :bow:
Lets put it this way, I joined Dave's Organized Targa California driving event in April and it was nothing short of amazing. If anyone is near his shop, please stop by and check out the goodies that are always there. Here is a taste of that event :
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ ... =slideshow

later
Ahmed
equiprx
Vehicles Owned: 1994 Jaguar XJS V12 Coupe

1993 Plymouth grand voyager for parts pick up and delivery.

Post by equiprx »

I don't know how long ago I joined this site but I expect to be active from here on.
Lately my project cars have languished from lack of funds and enthusiasm.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Actually Ahmen, by early 3-series I meant something more like THIS (and I'd drive it daily, too!).
Bristol2002 wrote:I went to the British Marquee SCS hoping to see a flood of MGs, but didn't see as many as I hoped to see. I hope to see one up close and personal one day specially an MGB GT.
You don't live that far away, you know... 8)

Equiprx, welcome to you as well! Lots of new faces this week. I see you're a Jaguar mechanic. You and Malcolm should have plenty to talk about. :)
Bristol2002
Supercharged M3
535i

Post by Bristol2002 »

Steve Simmons wrote:Actually Ahmen, by early 3-series I meant something more like THIS (and I'd drive it daily, too!).
Bristol2002 wrote:I went to the British Marquee SCS hoping to see a flood of MGs, but didn't see as many as I hoped to see. I hope to see one up close and personal one day specially an MGB GT.
You don't live that far away, you know... 8)
Double Woaaaaaa 1 for the 3 series you were referring to and another for the stunning collection that's within 20 minutes from my house. I will contact you to arrange this sometime for sure.

Later
Ahmed
Dave B
Vehicles Owned: 1970 Porsche 914-6
1959 Autobianchi
1970 Porsche 911S

Post by Dave B »

Ahmed
thanks for the kudos and pics- great !! For 2011, NASA is sanctioning the event and we are putting more effort into it so its that much more fun

Our New Years Day drive starts from my shop in Van Nuys, then its Osborn/ little Tujunga, Sand Canyon , Soledad Canyon, Aliso Canyon, Angeles Forest, Mt Emma to Palmdale Bl / Lake Elisabeth Road. Then Lake Hughes road to the 5. Drop down to Magic Mountain Pkway where the restaurants are on the frontage road there. It will be about a 3.5-4 hour drive

Perhaps a few of us road addicts will run into this group on the Snake later in the day. Last year the weather was incredible 8)
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Dave, what kind of Autobianchi do you have? White and blue, by any chance?
I had a convertible and a wagon a few decades ago.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
tdskip

Post by tdskip »

Dave B wrote:Ahmed

Our New Years Day drive starts from my shop in Van Nuys, then its Osborn/ little Tujunga, Sand Canyon , Soledad Canyon, Aliso Canyon, Angeles Forest, Mt Emma to Palmdale Bl / Lake Elisabeth Road. Then Lake Hughes road to the 5. Drop down to Magic Mountain Pkway where the restaurants are on the frontage road there. It will be about a 3.5-4 hour drive

Perhaps a few of us road addicts will run into this group on the Snake later in the day. Last year the weather was incredible 8)
More work work - I love it. Is it just me or is there a ground swell of driving events/interest?
Whitworth Ranch

Here's a picture of the Magnette. We tried a Daimler 2.5 V-8 in it for size. Looks like it would fit OK. Probably take about $8,000 for everything involved, though, so I have elected to go with the stock engine, which I already had worked on extensively. We had a few glasses of wine and the engine, car and crane were in the same room. Bingo...

equiprx
Vehicles Owned: 1994 Jaguar XJS V12 Coupe

1993 Plymouth grand voyager for parts pick up and delivery.

Post by equiprx »

I quit being a mechanic two years ago. Now I just work on mine and friends in need.

Equiprx, welcome to you as well! Lots of new faces this week. I see you're a Jaguar mechanic. You and Malcolm should have plenty to talk about. :)[/quote]
mrsnak
Vehicles Owned: 1961 Morris Minor
1967 Renault Caravelle

Post by mrsnak »

Looks like a fun forum!
I'm Kurt and own a 1967 Renault Caravelle as well as a 1961 Morris Minor Pickup.
Nice to see a fairly local bunch here. Usually spend my time either on the Renault Owners Club of North America website (I co-run the club and manage the web), or on the UK Morris site.
Have attended the Central Coast British Car Club Summer show a couple years and attend the Best of France and Italy show at Woodley Park (Van Nuys) every year for about 12 now.
My Renault was featured in Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car in June of 2006 and recapped in the September 2010 Hemmings Motor News. My Morris is my around-town fun work truck, fitted with a Datsun B210 Motor and automatic transmission, and a Sprite front disc brake conversion (came that way).

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Kurt, welcome to the forum! :)

As far as I know, you are the first Caravelle owner to join, although there are a Renault or two around. That is... if you count 2CVs! There is a guy here with two of them but he won't post photos for the gallery so we figure they don't exist. :jester

Hope to see you on the road!
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Steve, you did mean Citroen, right?
Or, 4CV.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

You know, I've now gone and mixed up my 2's and 4's, and I can't remember which one he has! Gene, where are you? :lol:
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Oh, it's easy to tell them apart, Steve.
The Renault 4CV is the ugly one, with the motor in the wrong end.
The Citroen 2CV's problem is the front wheel drive. Unless it's the two-engined, 4WD Sahara.
mrsnak
Vehicles Owned: 1961 Morris Minor
1967 Renault Caravelle

Post by mrsnak »

Jimmy wrote:Oh, it's easy to tell them apart, Steve.
The Renault 4CV is the ugly one, with the motor in the wrong end.
The Citroen 2CV's problem is the front wheel drive. Unless it's the two-engined, 4WD Sahara.
Now, now... let's be kind to the 4CV. :) These are becoming very collectible right now and if you have one in good mechanical shape, they are very hardy cars. One of the reasons I love own and love my Morris is because the two designs are quite similar and Renault never made a pickup version of the 4CV.