Introduce yourself!

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome Tito! Yes, that's how it all starts. You plan to replace the chrome headlamp ring but instead you end up installing it from the rear of the car forward! Just be sure to drive the thing for a while before you tear it to bits! :devil:
Tito

Post by Tito »

Steve, you are so right! I have all of my catalogs on the night stand and so far the damage has been small. Well at least small enough so my wife doesnt notice. I am spending most of the day tomorrow cleaning the car up and inventorying what can be refinished, restored or replaced. Wish me luck!! :D
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

You don't need luck. You need a restraining order! :D
d.valentino

Post by d.valentino »

Well I have made a couple of post on the site, so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Domenic Valentino and I have a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite that we call "Airport Racer". When we bought the car it was a basketcase, it barely run and would not stop. This the result of Twenty-five months of hard work and one understanding wife. A two-year journey to not only restore a car but to keep alive part of Southern California’s racing history. It is my tribute to everyone who has ever raced one of these cars. The car is period correct down to the wire hose clamps. It features a Judson Supercharged 948cc engine and Abarth exhaust. It has all the options you could have gotten for the car... Lucas dual horns, heater, front bumper, hardtop, etc. and also have a custom made leather interior.

Now, my days are filled with Healey's and Healey people. I am the Editor of the Austin Healey Association of Southern California's newletter, Healey Motor News. You may have seen the car in British Motoring and more recently on the cover of the December 2007 issue of Hemming's Sports and Exotic Car magazine. I am proud to say that it is the poster for the Golden Jubilee 50th Anniversary of the Austin Healey Sprite in Carlisle, Pa.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome, Domenic! I've seen youor car at numerous shows as well as in British Motoring. You've done a fantastic job and deserve all the praise and awards it has received. It really is one of my favorite Sprites out there! I especially love the period-correctness of it. I try to maintain my own cars in the same spirit. whenever possible.

By the way, great photo of the car! :thumbs:
d.valentino

Post by d.valentino »

Thanks Steve, I am glad you like it. If you do make it to the Healey's at the Driving Museum Car Show, be sure to introduce yourself.
mgTv8

Post by mgTv8 »

I have been keeper of MGT series since 1976 when I lived in Anaheim Hills. Bought a TD and started to restore. Moved it to Ohio in 80 now fully restored. Sold it once in 83 to a Museum in Dublin Ohio and bought it back for less in 1993. Kept it and bought a spare in 1999. Sold the original again and now am making a MG T V8 using a 48 FORD Flathead.

Along the way I have also owned a 49 YA a 58 MGA, 58 MGA Coupe, 56 Jag Mark I, a 61 TR3 and a bunch of VWs. Now I am concentrating on the Spare from '99 and have moved back to Southern Cal from back east somewhere.

Back in VMG as well.
Henry MGTV8
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Henry, great story! I replied with a plea for more information on your project in your other thread. It sounds really interesting! I love that you're using a period engine rather than something modern.

Welcome to the forum! :thumbs:
dz2gtc

Another new member

Post by dz2gtc »

Steve, Thanks for the heads up on becoming real. I moved to Van Nuys from Michigan last May. On the trip out my AH3000 ( a 1967 BJ8) which I have owned since 1973 was driven off the ramps of the car hauler and sustained considerable damage. It is still in the body shop and I am wrestling with the transport company (DAS) to pay more than the 25% of the repair cost they have accepted. To date the repair bill is over $15k. The vehicle is one of those "Survivor" vehicles which had never been restored or really even worked on. Hope to have it on the road in a few months and visit some of the events here. It has been here before, in 1978 when I drove it out to San Francisco for the AH gathering up the coast from there. Also drove it from Michigan to Colorado for the 1982 30th Anniv Austin Healey Club meet. It has done about 30,000 miles since I purchased it and now has almost 67,000 miles on the clock. Ice Blue metalic color is perserved. Hope to see many of the forum members at upcomming events.
Ron Edwards
kiwimark
Vehicles Owned: 1958 MGA Coupe
1969 MGB Gt
1995 Ford Bronco

Post by kiwimark »

Hi My name is Mark. I found this board by accident but it looks to be a great resource. I live in San Diego and drive a 72 BGT.
I am active in the San Diego MG club which incidently is a great little car club to belong to. We are celebrating 50yrs this year so the club must be doing something right.

Regards
Mark
Attachments
car03.jpg
car03.jpg (93.69 KiB) Viewed 21783 times
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome Mark! I didn't realize the SD MG club was that old. There aren't many car clubs that have survived that long. The TC Motoring Guild is over 50 now, with some members still driving the car they bought new off the showroom floor in the 1940's! :thumbs:
kiwimark
Vehicles Owned: 1958 MGA Coupe
1969 MGB Gt
1995 Ford Bronco

Post by kiwimark »

Thanks for the welcome. I have been involved in many car clubs over the years and found that if a club makes it past the first 5-6 years without being destroyed by infighting, being split up or monumental ego's it should go the distance. The first few years are the biggest hurdle. I am looking forward to attending a few events in the LA, Orange county area now I know where to get the info about them. :)

Mark
KraigG

Post by KraigG »

Hi everyone. New member here, I heard about the site this morning over at VCR, where I met one of your members who had a pretty neat MGC GT.

I currently own a 1975 Triumph TR6, but have owned many British cars over the years: 6 Jaguars, an MG Midget, and a chrome bumpered 74 MGB. This is my 2nd TR6, it arrived by accident - bidding on ebay early one morning, I bid low, and was surprised to find I had won the car!

It needs paint, but the body is straight, everything works, and it has overdrive.

I hope to go on some runs, attend meets, and meet some like minded people.

I'm a glutton for punishment, as I recently sold the 3 Italian cars I had been keeping. Time to move on!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Wow Kraig, that was one lucky purchase! Why can't I find a pre-war Alfa Romeo racer for a low bid? :)

It was nice to meet you this morning. I'm sure I'll see you on the road since we live nearby one another!
KraigG

Post by KraigG »

Thanks, Steve. Hope to see you and other list members tomorrow at the Woodley Park Show!

Please excuse my paint if anyone happens to see me there Sunday. I'm still looking for a good paint shop that won't charge an arm and a leg!
Attachments
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg (143.62 KiB) Viewed 21659 times
1980 Porsche 928
1997 BMW Z3
caliwagon

Post by caliwagon »

I'm just joining the forums over here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I learned about this forum through Wayne, who also posts over at lateralg.org, a great resource for those who like driving the twisties in Socal.

In any event, I'm not a British car owner (yet), but do drive a 1967 Volvo 1800S. It may not be British, but it's filled with Lucas, Girling, etc..., with a body made by Pressed Steel. Not to mention the fact that the first batch of P1800's was assembled in the UK (by Jensen), before moving to Sweden. I digress.

My '67 is not too original--it has a fresh 2 liter motor, SU carbs with K&N filters, fuel injection cam, 4-speed w/OD, Lockheed brake servo, Grant steering wheel, Miata seats, big Ipd sway bars, KYB shocks, Cibie E-code H4's on Hella relays, etc, etc... It's my daily driver--I average about 300 miles per week and love driving it anywhere.

I wanted to join the forum to keep abreast of the goings-on in the vintage sports car world, here in Socal, and hope I might be welcome on some future drives you guys take. I also frequent (usually about twice a month) the "Early Rodders" meet on Saturdays in La Canada, from 7-9 am. There's usually a decent contingent of Brits there, especially Healey's, so perhaps some of you have seen my 1800. For the rest of you, here's pic...

-John M.
'67 Volvo 1800S - Sold
'86 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 - Daily Driver
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Beautiful car, John! P1800s are always welcome at British car events considering the British connection. The holiday runs we do a few times per year usually have a couple of them in attendance. We aren't a stingy bunch who only welcome the typical British sports cars. Quite the opposite, we're just a bunch of car nuts who enjoy everything on four wheels!

I love that you drive your car daily, and I do the same myself. My daily driver is typically either a '67 MGB GT (RHD) or a '65 MGB. Modern cars bore me. :)

Be sure to post a photo or two of your car in the "Post a picture of your ride" thread.

Welcome to the forum!
Lonnie

First timer

Post by Lonnie »

Hey Steve, and everybody else. I am not new to the world of MGBs, not real old either, but am new to this forum. I am entering my fifth year of restomodding a '64/'69/'71 MGB. The frame is a '64, the drive train is a '71 and everything else is a '69. Of course, there is a whole bank accouht worth of new stuff from Moss, the BHive, British Wiring, and a couple individuals.

I probably saw many of you a couple weeks ago at the British Extravaganza at Button Willow. Looked for Steve, his lovely wife, and his car(s) but didn't see any of them. Maybe I just overlooked them. We were only there Sunday. Our nephew was racing so that was our focus and well as taking pictures to use as reference for my rebuild. We did get out on the track for the drive around. We rode with former racer Frankie Monise, owner of Frank Monise Motors in Pasadena. He is still quite a driver.

Lonnie
'64 MGB restoration going on five years now. The end is in sight.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey Lonnie! Good too "see" you. We were only at Buttonwillow on Saturday because I had to work on Sunday. I know, my priorities are all mixed up. ;)

What car was your nephew in? I may have photos I can send. Post a photo or information on his car and I'll see what I have.
tr6xjr

INTRO

Post by tr6xjr »

Hi, my name is Doug. I have a 1997 BRG Jag XJR ( last of the "dependable" straight sixes ). My baby is my 1974 TR6 that I've owned for almost 21 yrs. It is stock, except for the roll-bar and has 79k orig miles. I have a copy of the orig contract and have the orig hardtop. I bought it in SF when I lived in the Bay Area and trailered it down here when I relocated in Jan. '88.

My first car was a '60 AH "Frog-eye" in HS, that some idiot had " de-bugged"! Learned how to wrench on the car, though! Traded in on a new '69 Fiat 850 Spyder ( my mother is Italian ) and later had a '70 850, and then a new 1977 124 Spyder. BUT, went back to my first love, British!

The last 4 yrs, was going though a nasty divorce so haven't driven it much, except for a trip I was going to take up the coast for " therapy ". Got as far as Santa Barbara when one of my Redlines decided to come apart and did a number on my LR quarter-panel. I was devastated, but went to the spare and came home, licking my wounds. I haven't driven it much since, and haven't fixed the damage yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY!! I haven't been able to find any shops locally that seem to agree on the best way to do the repair, or anybody I trust to do the job right. If anybody knows of one in Socal good enough to recommend, please do. I really want to get it fixed ASAP!

Thanks for the space to "air it out". Can't wait to drive to a British car event! :cry:
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome, Doug! See the Vendor Recommendations forum for the thread on paint shops. There is a guy in Burbank who has done work for me and a couple other members with top-notch results. Lets get that Tr6 back on the road where it belongs!
Martin Keller
Core Member

Re: INTRO

Post by Martin Keller »

tr6xjr wrote:ENOUGH ALREADY!! I haven't been able to find any shops locally that seem to agree on the best way to do the repair, or anybody I trust to do the job right. If anybody knows of one in Socal good enough to recommend, please do. I really want to get it fixed ASAP!
Wellwood Auto Restoration, Inc.
1587 Morse Ave, Unit C
Ventura, CA. 93003
805-469-7842
dswellwood@hotmail.com

Dave is on vacation at the moment but I am sure he checks his e-mail daily and most likely his phone.
Dave has a lot of experance with TR-6's and has just redone a couple of which one won a second place at an autoshow in LA last month and I can say from having seen his work that it is very good.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
tr6xjr

Post by tr6xjr »

Thanks, Steve for the welcome. Now that I am "official" on the site, I can avail myself of its available info.

And Martin, thanks to you for your recommedation in Ventura. I'll try to get in touch with Dave. Ventura is not too far to go if the work gets done right!

Thanks again, Doug
quadracer12
Vehicles Owned: 1969 GT6+

Post by quadracer12 »

hello fellow car nuts,

I recently purchased a 69 GT6+ and am in the process of building it back up into the beauty that it is. The car it running so i can at least realize that the pain is worth it.

the car came with a load of parts, so i am in the process of deciding what i need and what i can offer to fellow GT6ers, so if you need parts let me know, i have bonnets, driveshafts, diffs, carbs, pretty much everything to build another car. Anyway, I look forward to meeting some of you!

-Collin
GT6+ restoration in progress

Many extra parts for sale, let me know what you need.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome to the site, Collin! I wonder if there are other GT6 owners here. I know there are quite a few TRs...