Introduce yourself!

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
AlphaGarage

The Beast

Post by AlphaGarage »

Hi everyone!

Been cruising this site for some time, but haven't signed up since my car's been on blocks for a while, and I haven't really worked on it for a long time.

"The Beast" is a 1967 AH 3000 that I've owned for about 17 years. Much of that time it's been in storage. We did a couple of stints is Manhattan, spend some time without a garage, there were financial priorities, life got in the way, etc. Hopefully I'll have the time, resources, space and motivation to get it running by next summer.

Right now I have the dash out and I hope to rewire the electrical first. Then I need to reinstall the windscreen. That will get me back on the road. At that point there will only be a hundred other small details to remedy.

The Beast lives with my wife and I in Los Feliz. After years working in TV I recently decided to take on another challenge, and that's providing materials to help home owners transform their garage from a boring place to store stuff into an extension of their living space. Our first offering is a killer epoxy floor coating, we hope to add cabinets soon.

Looking forward to joining you on the road!

Fred

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Steve Simmons »

Nice Healey! Can I assume one of those things in the background is your daily driver? :P
fireballtim

Post by fireballtim »

Hello all!

New to the forum, thanks to Steve. My name is Fireball Tim and I design cars for movies.

I also have a radio Podcast show call THE HOLLYWOOD CAR SHOW. All about new sneaks on movies, movie cars and all around cool car nonsense. I hope you'll join my co-host "db" and I for Episode #10! Lots of cool movies coming up like Tron 2, a sequel to Blade Runner and Indiana Jones 5! PLUS, a great interview with World Famous Stuntman, Jeff Jensen! Cool!

Thanks for the intro, Steve!

www.thehollywoodcarshow.com
Fireball Tim Lawrence
Movie Car Designer

"The Hollywood Car Show" www.thehollywoodcarshow.com
FIRETV Channel www.fireballed.com
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

I saw you at MINI Takes the States recently. I Also remember your MINI in that silly Speed Channel show. I didn't see the show, but I do remember reading all the hate and controversy. That definitely wasn't pretty. I also remember your MINIs at South Bay MINI when I was purchasing mine.

But welcome to Vintage Motoring, we go on some fun drives occasionally. It's cool that Steve was able to help you find this little site.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Who you callin' little? Oh wait, we are kinda little, aren't we? :lol: Welcome to the site, Mr. Fireball!
fireballtim

Post by fireballtim »

Thanks, guys. And yes, Street Tuner Challenge was lame, but it was for 16 year olds. Any of you 16?

I'm going to create a permanent post for the show if you guys are interested? It's weekly. If you like it, let us know and we'll mention this site on the show. Maybe get some more members? Anyone know of a classic MG that was used in a movie? (I'll have to do some research...)

Appreciate the welcome!
Fireball Tim Lawrence
Movie Car Designer

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I'm not just 16, I'm 16 twice! And then a few more. ;)

Does it have to be a recent movie? The most famous M.G. in movies is the MG TC used in Love Story. That car is still on the road, owned by a woman back east. Well, maybe not on the road but still theoretically road-worthy. It's been stored for many years in her garage from what I understand. Not quite as famous as the Alfa in The Graduate. I wonder where that car is now?
fireballtim

Post by fireballtim »

Nice! It's amazing how movie cars have disappeared into people's garages. If there's a car that any of you want us to cover, let us know.
Fireball Tim Lawrence
Movie Car Designer

Woodymini

Post by Woodymini »

Hi all -- My name is Bob and I have had a "thing" about LBCs for many a moon. I currently own a 1964 Austin Mini Countryman (since 1993) and more recently acquired a 1961 Austin Healey "Frogeye" Sprite ("Kermit" -- it is green). I have been on a few of Steve's runs with both cars and enjoy Topanga Canyon at every opportunity I can manage. Hope to see you all "Down The Road" in the future.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey Bob, good to see you on the forum! :)
grantour
Vehicles Owned: 68' MGC-GT
74' VW Beetle
52' Ford F-1
64' MGB
67' MGB (resto)

Post by grantour »

Hi All,

I am Brad and live in the South Central US where our autos can be enjoyed most all the year! Looking forward to getting some serious seat time in once my C GT gets fitted up to my satisfaction. Currently autostick and looking to convert her to a 4 sp OD. Anywho, since I am shy, I will not go on, but wanted to be 'proper' and all know that I am in the building. Cheers,Brad
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome, Brad! No need to be shy, we love to talk cars. I noticed by your other post that you have an MGC. That makes only two of us on this forum, unless someone hasn't spoken up yet. Be sure to post a few photos in the "Post a picture of your ride" thread! :thumbs:
Andi Cox
Vehicles Owned: Bentley

Re: OC Andi

Post by Andi Cox »

Hi! I'm Andi, a Bentley collector and provider from Orange County:)
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Andi, welcome to the forum! :)
Scott Pettit
Vehicles Owned: 1957 Morgan Plus 4
1961 Corvette
1913 Ford Model T Speedster
2003 BMW Z8 Roadster

Post by Scott Pettit »

I am Scott Pettit from Modesto, CA.

I have just purchased a 57 Morgan Plus 4 that went through a frame off restoration via the previous owner. As a sport car / roadster nut, I really enjoy the "art" of driving a vehicle that requires your undivided attention while motoring and I look forward to many adventures in this outstanding motor car.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Scott, welcome! You and I (and many others here as well) seem to share the same vision of what real motoring is. Man and machine with an equal dose of instinct and physics. Congrats on the new purchase, and be sure to post some photos for us! If you put them in the "Post a picture of your ride" thread just below this one, your car(s) will be added to the Member's Cars section of the image gallery.

Head down the road to Malibu for the Memorial Day Run on Monday morning and you'll be the first to beat Pat Bailey for the long distance award. ;)
macfly
Vehicles Owned: BMW Z8, but currently looking at adding an XK120/140 to do classic events with.

Post by macfly »

Hi everyone, my name is Andrew, and I run the owners website for the BMW Z8, a more modern classic that sadly doesn't allow entry to the big events like the Colarado Grand and California Mille, which is what brings me over here. I'm now casting my eyes around to find a reliable, easy for a mechanical nimcompoop to live with, classic car to do those big events with. Currently looking at the XK120-140 family, but very open to shared advice & wisdom.
macfly
LA CA
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Andrew, welcome to the madness! I think the only thing harder than choosing a new car is choosing a new old car. Their personalities vary wildly, even between like models after so many years. I'm sure the Jag owners will be chiming in soon but I can say that at least aesthetically you and I share the same good taste. ;) I've always really loved the Z8 as well, beautiful cars! If you buy an XK coupe then I may start to hate you out of jealousy. :D If you have your eye on any particular cars, start a thread and the masses will jump in to be your virtual inspection service!
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

That, or they will link you to various online sales and you will find yourself with a deal that is too good to pass up. Thanks Steve :P
Welcome to the site, I too liked the looks of that Z8, and love that its one you don't see very often on the roads. I think I have seen more modern Maserati's and Lamborghini's on the road than the Z8.
HealeyBN7
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 Peerless GT
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

macfly wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Andrew, .... Currently looking at the XK120-140 family, but very open to shared advice & wisdom.
Andrew,

Call Dave at Wellwood in Ventura. Offer to take him to lunch or bring a sandwich to his shop. Dave has several XK120-140 examples and has sold off some of his other cats and dogs to focus on the XKs. I am sure Dave will give you the straight shooter advise you are seeking.

WRT the Z8, I am sure you have toured the BMW receiving facility in Oxnard. If not, you should. This is where I learned how they repair new cars that fall of the docks, get run into trains, blown up by magazine writers, why it is so hard to remove cosmoline and most importantly why you need to check your new car very very carefully before taking delivery. Not sure if they take drop in visitors, but if you are headed to Ventura, it may be worth a call.

Dean
In addition to the non-running British cars, a running E28 M5
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey, that sounds like a neat place! I nominate you to arrange a tour. :D
HealeyBN7 wrote:In addition to the non-running British cars, a running E28 M5
...which you still haven't posted a photo of in the gallery! :P
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

macfly wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Andrew, and I run the owners website for the BMW Z8, a more modern classic that sadly doesn't allow entry to the big events like the Colarado Grand and California Mille, which is what brings me over here. I'm now casting my eyes around to find a reliable, easy for a mechanical nimcompoop to live with, classic car to do those big events with. Currently looking at the XK120-140 family, but very open to shared advice & wisdom.
Hi Andrew,
Steve is correct as I know Dave at Wellwood Restoration very well and he is into the XK's and has a lot of knowledge about them and their ware abouts.
Here is his number 805-469-7842...dave@wellwoodautorestoration.com
Say hi for me when you talk to him :) he is a good guy...
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Alright, then, since Steve insists.
Hi all, I'm Jimmy, suffering from (among other things) an MGB relapse. My first car was a '65 B, and I had an awful lot of fun with it - even more so than with the '49 Jeep that replaced it. The third car was a '70 MGB, but while I've never been Jeep-less since, only the occasional Vanden Plas, Morris Minor, Vauxhall or Daimler was part of my life, as far as English cars go.
After moving to the USA, a huge dry spell of anything European resulted, but my girlfriend's 911S and Aston Martin were likely influences in my relapse. That, and perhaps even more so, that I was ready for something different again.
Bought a '74-1/2 MGB last summer, then a '69 (foolishly, because it's way too nice), then a '76 parts car, then a TD, then yet another B.
Somewhere between the purchase of the '74-1/2 and the '69, I joined the SoCal MG Club, a great group of people. And this consequently made me aware of Vintage Motoring. After going on one "fun run" I was hooked. Partially because Steve's such a nice guy and puts those runs together for us, and to some extent because I can now pester MoPho in the forums.
Well, that pretty much sums it up, I suppose. Yet another car nut that likes driving unusual vehicles.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
Chuck
Vehicles Owned: Silver 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

Post by Chuck »

Hi my name is Chuck and I'm an MG-aholic. There I said it! Now I fee much better. I tried to post a picture of my car but all the files I have are too large for this forum. I tried to make them smaller, without success. I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Any suggestions? Anyway, I'll be meeting some of you tomorrow morning at the fun run. Looks like I'm going to have to be on the road at 6:30 a.m. to get there by 8. No biggy since I'm usually awake at 5:30 everyday anyway.

See you all tomorrow!!
Last edited by Chuck on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!!

Chuck
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hi Chuck, welcome! :) Feel free to email me a photo and I'll downsize it for you. See you in Malibu!