Introduction and Invitatation

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Westfield 11

Introduction and Invitatation

Post by Westfield 11 »

Hello, I am a new member who is building a Westfield Lotus 11 replica. I live over in Woodland Hills, but rent a small rollup garage just off the 101 in Reseda for my build. My kit was 1st delivered in Dec of the year 6, but due to Westfield being unprepared for the antics of the American freight system, arrived too damaged to build. After filing an insurance claim, I recieved my replacement kit in March.

For those unfamiliar with this kit or the Lotus original, please go to <Westfieldeleven.com> for the full story. The short version is that I bought a tube frame and swoopy LeMans style fiberglass body and a junker '69 Midget and am combining them together. APT in Riverside is finishing up building a 130hp A-series engine, and I have a Datsun 5-speed ready to install.

I was an A&P mechanic in a previous career so I am doing everything else my self. I had to remove all the alloy panels from the chassis to coat them with Lizardskin sound and heat barrier and am now winding up the reinstallation. All the chassis parts have been cleaned, overhauled and painted or plated and are ready to install. I hope to have it on it's wheels next week.

Is there any interest in having a Sunday morning open house @ the shop? As the proud Papa I would love to show off my new baby! The shop is on Reseda Blvd. between the 101 and Ventura Blvd. and is just across the street from a Gelson's. EZ access and EZ to find. Let me know if there is any interest as I would love to see what the rest of the forum drives....
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Welcome! That sounds like a really fun project. I wouldn't mind seeing your shop and where you are on the build. It's a bummer your original kit was damaged but hopefully you got a few free, although slightly damaged, spare parts from the ordeal!

Keep us posted on your progress and yes, we should set up an open house day! Anyone else up for it? :)
Nunyas

Post by Nunyas »

I, for one, would like to see it. However, this weekend isn't good for me.
Westfield 11

Post by Westfield 11 »

As much as I would have liked to have 2 kits, I returned the 1st to the US distributor as it was technically still his since I accepted shipment in his name once I found it was damaged. Besides, I wanted to be made whole, not make a profit. I strongly encouraged the Dist. to donate it to a charity, a la TeamSprite.com now known as TeamIsetta.com or something similar, but I haven't heard anything more about the matter. Actually I would be just as happy to see journalist get it and have a build article appear like Peter Eagan and Road & Track back in the '80's.

As far as a date for the open house goes I was thinking maybe Sunday, July 15. After that I am in Tucson until after Labor Day, talk about "out of the frying pan and into the fire"!!!

At least that will allow APT to finish my engine, the 1st delivery date of early Jan. has slipped a bit..... I was hoping to learn all about hot A-Series engines when Vintage/Grassroots Motorsports magazines finished their Midget restoration and published the engine story. But now I learn that APT will be working their motor as soon as mine is done....The hold-up now is a dyno failure.
Nunyas

Post by Nunyas »

sounds like a plan to me!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

July 15th is good for me! Once you set a firm date, make an official announcement post and I'll make it sticky (post stays at the top of the list).