Overdrive into 72 GT, what do I need?

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
brett

Overdrive into 72 GT, what do I need?

Post by brett »

I located an overdrive for my GT finally. It is the side fill type that is found in the 78-80 MGB so OD in 4th only from what I remember.

I would like to collect the parts I need to do the swap.

This is what I need I think:
1. New wiper/overdrive stalk switch
2. New transmission side harness (the current one has been cut about a foot from the trans)
3. New OD isolation switch, new reverse switch (just in case)

This came from British Masters according to the previous owner and tested out perfectly, but I still would like to check the operation of the o/d engagement.

Here's a pic, thanks in advance for your help in getting the right stuff.

72 B GT
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I think you're good to go. Admittedly I don't know the later model ODs and cars as well as the early ones, but the only other thing I can think of is to check the length of the drive shaft. Early cars need a shorter one for OD and late models are the same length. I'm not sure about yours but I suspect the shaft length is determined by the OD type, not the car year model.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to use the wiper stalk / OD switch unit. You can use a standard switch like the early cars or any other type of switch you like, really. Good luck, you're gonna love the OD! :)
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Brett:

The only part you really need is a speedo cable. The OD one is a bit longer than the non-od.

Your original wiper switch has the OD function built in.
The transmission harness is pretty easy to fab, although a purchased new one is going to be a bit tidier.
The isolation switch and reverse light switches are pretty robust, so I would not replace them if they are working correctly.
Your original driveshaft is the correct length.

Your speedo may not read accurately depending on the drive gear in the unit, but this can be recalibrated after everything is operational.

Sounds cool. Drop me a line if you need any more info. I have to drop an OD into my 1970 one of these days, but can't bear to have the car off the road.
Kelvin
So many projects, so little time