The Horseshoe Route, One Hundred Years Ago

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

The Horseshoe Route, One Hundred Years Ago

Post by Steve Simmons »

Please note: The images in this thread are copyrighted by the owner. Do not reproduce them or post elsewhere without express permission of the owner. Links to this thread are ok of course

The Horseshoe Route was established in 1913. Along this route, adventurous souls could pay for a tour of the area around Yosemite National Park by automobile. A friend of mine has uncovered a photo album belonging to his late grandfather, who was a chauffeur / mechanic for the tour company. Below are his images and descriptions.

He writes: "The autos are touring cars, Whites and Pierces, that were driven from the Merced Railroad station by "Chauffeur/mechanics" with tourists. They stayed at the Wawona and were driven through the Mariposa tree. I have a number of pictures of these people, with grandpa behind the wheel."

Click images for larger versions.
Attachments
Album cover - Yosemite Falls/Grandpa in a tree/at Glacier Point/in his White touring car/ Other cars & drivers/ his business card
Album cover - Yosemite Falls/Grandpa in a tree/at Glacier Point/in his White touring car/ Other cars & drivers/ his business card
In his car
In his car
2.jpg
The Yosemite "Horseshoe Route" drivers cabin
The Yosemite "Horseshoe Route" drivers cabin
Photos taken of tourists passing through the Mariposa Grove drive thru tree (now fallen, mainly because of the hole)
Photos taken of tourists passing through the Mariposa Grove drive thru tree (now fallen, mainly because of the hole)
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
The fallen giant
The fallen giant
Wouldn't want to cross this gal. Grandpa said she was his girl friend. He liked big women!
Wouldn't want to cross this gal. Grandpa said she was his girl friend. He liked big women!
Drivers
Drivers
17.jpg
Good times were had here I bet.
Good times were had here I bet.
My favorite - I can just hear the African American gent saying "I want to sit in the driver's seat" Grandpa doesn't look amused.
My favorite - I can just hear the African American gent saying "I want to sit in the driver's seat" Grandpa doesn't look amused.
Is this guy crazy?  Doesn't look like Grandpa
Is this guy crazy? Doesn't look like Grandpa
21.jpg
Lots of posing on this overhang
Lots of posing on this overhang
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
The line-up
The line-up
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
A horseman on the Fallen Giant - not something anyone does anymore for sure
A horseman on the Fallen Giant - not something anyone does anymore for sure
32.jpg
Lets everybody get on the tree
Lets everybody get on the tree
34.jpg
Grandpa leaves Yosemite and an idyllic life, marries Grandma with three kids!
Grandpa leaves Yosemite and an idyllic life, marries Grandma with three kids!
Born Johannes August Thews (pronounced TEVS) in Alsace Lorraine, then Germany, now France, in 1884. Confirmed in Evangelischen Kirche in Primrose, Iowa in 1899
Born Johannes August Thews (pronounced TEVS) in Alsace Lorraine, then Germany, now France, in 1884. Confirmed in Evangelischen Kirche in Primrose, Iowa in 1899
Early days in Primrose, a first class American
Early days in Primrose, a first class American
1963, aged 79, with sister Clara and brother Julius. Died 1968 in San Francisco
1963, aged 79, with sister Clara and brother Julius. Died 1968 in San Francisco
gorms68
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1914 Chandler model 15
1929 Chandler model 65
1966 MGB roadster
1968 Mustang Dlx coupe

Re: The Horseshoe Route, One Hundred Years Ago

Post by gorms68 »

What an incredible collection of photos Steve! At least the photos survive now. I wonder if some of his stories have been passed down as well. Would make for a wonderful book on a time long lost in this digital age.
Chris Gorman
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

That's a wonderful post Steve. Those cars look old even for 1913. Was the White a steamer?
Malcolm
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I don't think the white was a steamer because it has a standard-looking radiator. But you and Chris probably know more about it than I do.

Also, I don't know that these photos were actually from 1913 since the business merely started that year. I don't know how long it remained in business or if they ever replaced the vehicles with more modern ones. I wonder if they got the cars new, or as old used tourers. One photo has a date of 1914 (snowy overhang) but age of the rest are a mystery to me.

A couple of things I noticed in the drive-through tree photos were how bald the tires are in some of the photos (compare front tires to rear and spares in first one) and the reflection of the American flag in the windscreen. You can tell which way the wind was blowing in each of the photos where it is visible. I also like the two vents on the top of the hood (bonnet for you brits).

Also, I found this on eBay this afternoon...
Attachments
brochure.JPG
Fifty Six MGA
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1954 Velocette LE Motorbike
1956 MGA
1971 BMW 2002 tii (Sold)
the most generic gold tan minivan you can imagine
A pile of kayaks and bicycles.

Post by Fifty Six MGA »

I used to do a lot of rock climbing, when I was younger and lighter. I've spent more time in Yosemite than I can remember, at one point I had a job where I worked 6 weeks on, 2 off, and my 2 off were mostly spent in Yosemite. It's a place near and dear to my heart. I'd love to take the MGA (or another classic) there someday. I loved these pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

The White could still be a steamer Steve. On a steam car, the condenser looks a lot like a radiator, and I used to maintain a white steam car from 1907 that looked a lot like that car.
Malcolm
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Geoff, just do it! I've been to Yosemite many times in our '49 TC. In fact, both myself and the gentleman who sent all these great photos were there in our TCs just a week and a half ago. It's a great trip. I would be happy to share our route with you to avoid the interstate highways.

A photo to give you inspiration...
Attachments
L1030603c.jpg
L1030603c.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 11629 times
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Post by VWNate1 »

TERRIFIC ! .

Thank you for sharing , Steve .
-Nate
Fifty Six MGA
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1954 Velocette LE Motorbike
1956 MGA
1971 BMW 2002 tii (Sold)
the most generic gold tan minivan you can imagine
A pile of kayaks and bicycles.

Post by Fifty Six MGA »

Steve Simmons wrote:Geoff, just do it! I've been to Yosemite many times in our '49 TC. In fact, both myself and the gentleman who sent all these great photos were there in our TCs just a week and a half ago. It's a great trip. I would be happy to share our route with you to avoid the interstate highways.

A photo to give you inspiration...
tough to leave Hazel at home alone. :eek: I need a classic with a rear seat. Soon.

Also, Kim (nor I, really) doesn't trust the MG beyond the 125 mile tow coverage we have. Not yet anyway...
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

Please share the route Steve.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I already gave it to you last time you drove there! :hammer:
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

A bit more history on the man in the photos, from the grandson...
You would shed a tear if you knew how much of his stuff disappeared - he had boxes of postcards from his brothers and sister wherever they travelled. message would something like, "well here I am in Chicago". that would be it. He had tools , tools, tools. He would always make himself a newspaper hat when he was doing any mechanical work. A lost art, that. I have his tool box, handmade, that he carried in the shop Essex when he went on the road to repair trucks that were made by his last employer, Gar Wood (of speedboat fame - a restuarant at Tahoe is named Gar Wood). I have his valve lapper, model T wrenches, etc. When he moved from his house across the street to my parents place, we must have dumped 20 Model T wooden coil boxes - aiieeyy!

I visited his town, Primrose, in Iowa one time. I had the computer operations responsibility for my company's plant in northern Iowa, so went down one visit to check it out. I found the town cemetery, where most of his relatives were buried.

A couple of families emigrated to America before the turn of the century to this tiny town, where everyone was quite religious (Evangelicals don't you know). It didn't rub off on Grandpa.

There are holes in the family history, but we believe Grandma was quite dissatified with my actual Grandfather and when Grandpa Jack came back from Yosemite, she dumped one and married the other. My blood grandfather has a fantastic history too. I'll tell you about him and THAT family next time we get together. Hint: Grandpa's brother is in the Yukon Hall of Fame, there's a dog sled race run annually, named for him - http://www.thepercy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;