Not Entirely Random Video of the Day

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
elfman69
Vehicles Owned: '71 Volvo 142S
'69 Riley Elf (gone to new home)
'65 Volvo 1800S (gone to Asgard)

Not Entirely Random Video of the Day

Post by elfman69 »

Back in May, I was at the private airport near my home one evening (Cable Airport in Upland, where I often take a fast-food meal and watch the air traffic), when a pickup hauling a trailer pulled up in the transient aircraft parking area and two men unloaded what you see in the photo below (the four wheeled curiosity; not the impressive, fully-restored 1943 DC-3 in the background):
0525161704-00.jpg
One guy started taking pictures with a very serious digital SLR, while the other began battling to get the thing rolling under its own power, which it seemed reluctant to do. Needless to say, I had to go poke my proboscis in.

The guy working on the car explained it was a replica of the 1902 Baker Torpedo ELECTRIC racer. In the early 1900s, Walter "Bad Luck" Baker tried twice to set a land speed record in this car, but crashed on both occasions, so the speeds he reached weren't officially recorded. The replica was built with modern materials, but otherwise was as faithful to the original design as possible. It was built to prove Baker's 114 year-old design was capable of the speeds it was claimed he attained back at the turn of the 20th Century.
startingline2.jpg
startingline2.jpg (165.96 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
The fellow with the camera said they were on a tight schedule to get the car working reliably for a television shoot, but couldn't say for what program. He asked me to limit my photos to just the one shot, and not to post it on the web for awhile.

Last night, I was looking for something to stream on Netflix, and quite accidentally stumbled across the show that features the replica Torpedo! Since the show is available to the public now, I don't think they'll mind if I post my photo and maybe drive some traffic to their content. To see the replica in action, search Netflix for the original program, White Rabbit Project. The specific episode with the Torpedo is Season 1, Episode 10, titled "Speed Freaks." Fans of Mythbusters will recognize the hosts, Grant, Tory and Kari; the original "Myth-terns."

Also, google "Baker Torpedo" for the full, and often contradictory, details of this nearly lost piece of automotive history, and Walter C. Baker, the visionary nut job behind it.

Enjoy,
-- Doug

P.S.: I never got to see the car run the length of the runway that day at the airport. By the time I left, they had only gotten it to roll about 15 feet under power. I mention this because the show makes it appear as though the car had one successful test before it was skinned, then Tory says, "Let's skin it and break some speed records!" Now you guys know more of the inside scoop.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Not Entirely Random Video of the Day

Post by Steve Simmons »

Neat! I was involved in an episode of The White Rabbit Project with my Model T. I forgot about it until you posted this, so went and watched the episode (S1 E4). The car appears very briefly at about 22:15, and there's another even more brief shot in the open. I also took this behind the scenes shot while I was there...
White Rabbit Project
White Rabbit Project
white-rabbit-bts.jpg (51.65 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
And here are a couple of screenshots...
White Rabbit Project
White Rabbit Project
white-rabbit-1.jpg (22.09 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
White Rabbit Project
White Rabbit Project
white-rabbit-4.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 2284 times