covid-19 Thoughts

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.

Good or Bad Topic ?

Continue this thread or delete it ? .
No votes
-Nate
No votes

Total votes: 0

VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

covid-19 Thoughts

Post by VWNate1 »

I'm surprised no one touched in this yet, is it O.K. to have a discussion about this ? .

I'm still trying to get vaccinated and we've lost some short tail relatives and co workers etc....

Life goes on .
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: covid-19 Thoughts

Post by Steve Simmons »

I don't have any problem discussing, providing no one brings politics into it. Politics have no place in medicine, nor in this forum!

We've been trying to get Linda's parents in line to get vaccinated but it's been tough. Even though a lot of people are hesitant to get it, there are still long lines and it seems like timing is everything. One person I know got an appointment right away, and 30 minutes later there were none available. It seems like they are being cautious to not give appointments unless they know they will have enough.

I don't have to worry about it, as it will probably be months before it's offered to my age group. Here in Ventura County, they are still limiting to 75+.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

Thanx Steve .
-Nate
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

Because my wife is a Registered Dental Hygienist they gave her the Moderna vaccine January 15, 2021. Dental Hygienists have a higher risk of getting COVID-19 than front line doctors and nurses. She got it just before they closed and asked if they had any left over and if her husband (that’s me) who was waiting in the car could get it too. Rather than throw away the left over vaccines I received the vaccine even though at the time they were only giving the vaccine to medical health professionals and even though I have Parkinson’s and a compromised immune system, I didn’t qualify for the vaccine. Yay for my wife. Because she asked I got the vaccine.

Friday January 15, 2021 Evening

It didn’t really hurt going in, but now I’m really thirsty, I have a little headache, I feel fatigued, and some bodyaches. Hopefully the symptoms will go away soon. In 28 days I go back for the booster shot.

Saturday January 16, 2021

Last night was painful. I woke up around 3:00 AM and not only did my arm hurt where the gave me the vaccine, but a spot on my forearm, and I had severe abdominal pain. I was yelling because of the abdominal pain. A few spots on my fingers were like pins had been pushed in them.

Things have calmed down now. My arm where I got the shot is swollen and hurts if I touch it and like after getting the vaccine I’m super thirsty. The abdominal pain is gone. I’m wiped out.

Later that day

Now the pain is reduced. My arm is tender where they gave me the vaccine and for some reason my skin has flushed red. I am positively glowing.

Friday, January 22, 2021

The pain is all gone away and I feel pretty normal. My wife’s only side effects were pain in her arm which lasted longer than the pain in my arm and she was really thirsty.

Saturday, January 23, 2021

I’m a little worried about getting the second vaccine shot on February 12.

First they’ve used up all their vaccines.

F91852BD-2D2B-4A5C-BE6B-86EC9FCFC6C2.jpeg

Second I really don’t trust them to text or send an email to me. They’ve had massive problems with their website and scheduling vaccines. California is ranked 46 out of all the states and Washington DC for distributing the vaccine. That number is very important because the worse a state does the less they will receive in new doses of vaccines.

A55E4FC7-97F3-42A2-BF4F-1B3224AE40C7.png

Third after three hours on hold I gave up.

B7574E4A-FCB8-43FE-9854-FA47A182B967.png

Fourth I am told that the second shot is much, much worse than the first shot.

They say you can receive the second shot within three days plus or minus of when you are supposed to get the second shot. However they have not tested for that scenario. With the Pfizer vaccine during the human trials everyone got their second shot 21 days after the first and with the Moderna vaccine everyone got their shot exactly 28 days after the first shot. They have admitted that they are guessing it’ll be OK if not given exactly on time.

I have trust issues and worry too much.
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Steve Simmons wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:11 pm

We've been trying to get our parents in line to get vaccinated but it's been tough. Even though a lot of people are hesitant to get it, there are still long lines and it seems like timing is everything. One person I know got an appointment right away, and 30 minutes later there were none available. It seems like they are being cautious to not give appointments unless they know they will have enough.

I don't have to worry about it, as it will probably be months before it's offered to my age group. Here in Ventura County, they are still limiting to 75+.
My brother-in-law doesn’t want to take the vaccine. He said it changes your DNA. I told him if my ears get pointy and I can do the Vulcan hand thing and start saying live long and prosper, then we will know.

I believe the reason Ventura county is limiting it to 75+ is because unlike the flu which seems to kill off people of all ages, COVID-19 seems to kill off mainly the elderly. The average age of a COVID-19 death is 82.

BTW. We waited in line in our car, then in a line of people for over 2 1/2 hours before Jane could get her vaccine.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

Thank you Tanny ~ this is *exactly* the sort of in depth response I was hoping for .

Did they tell you it would be O.K. to drink lots of water when you felt thirsty ? .

When it comes to one's health, I don't think one can worry too much .

At this point I'm very lucky to still be alive .

I'm unable to get an appointment .
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Sadly, "changing your DNA" is about the least ridiculous false theory I've heard today!

That's quite a story, Tanny. I've head varying reactions from almost nothing to feeling horribly sick. Seems about as random as the reactions to the virus itself.
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

My 38-year-old stepson is participating in the human trials for Pfizer which lasts for two years. He said that he had all the same symptoms I had after the first shot and that the second shot was slightly worse. They also told him that he could drink as much water as he wanted to drink.

There were two ladies behind us when Jane and I got our vaccines who did not have appointments. They just showed up at the end of the day and asked if they had any leftover vaccines and because for some reason people did not show up for their appointments these two ladies were able to get vaccinated. My stepson has coworkers who live in Ventura county and they said that the fairgrounds was very busy but Oxnard didn’t have a lot of people because people were not showing up for their appointments for some reason.

If you’re really desperate you might do what those two ladies did and show up near the end of the day at a vaccination site in your county to see if they have any unused vaccines from people who didn’t show up for their appointments. If they do not use all of the vaccines for that day it is my understanding that they have to throw them away. They are only allowed to vaccinate people who reside in their county. So if you live in Riverside you can’t go to Ventura or Los Angeles. You must go to a vaccination site in your county to get vaccinated.

YMMV
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tanny.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

I'm still trying to get inoculated, they said maybe this week .

Sunday last one of Shirley's girlfriends died of covid-19 .

Thursday I found out my gardener has it so his son is doing the route .

Friday I discovered my ex wife has it, she's a contract worker at Kaiser, testing incoming patients for temperature, I told her to get vaccinated or another job, she did neither and is now home sick .

Mean while, any ignorant folks are still claiming it's all a hoax ~ more Americans dies of covid-19 in one year than did in the FOUR YEARS of WWII so I guess that was a hoax too, right ? .
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

The earth is flat, we never landed on the moon and the vaccine has tracking microchips in it. Yes, there are people who actually believe all these things. And the ones protesting about "the man" trying to digitally track us all have digital tracking devices in their pockets already (smart phones). And don't tell them about the eavesdropping devices in their houses - Alexa, smart TVs, cell phones, etc. Ever had a conversation about something and suddenly you get ads on your phone's web browser for said item? It isn't coincidence, it's software doing what it's designed to do. And for some reason this doesn't bother them. :wtf:

My in-laws and parents have all had their first shots, so we're one step closer to not worrying about them quite as much. They said it was easy, in and out quickly and no side effects.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Paranoia

Post by VWNate1 »

Yes Steve ;

However, I always keep my tin foil hat clean and properly adjusted to the GUBMINT mind control rays cannot get me :P .

Sadly, my own son is a whacko who refuses to even get annual flu shots, go figure .
-Nate
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

It seems that they lost my paperwork and it took a while to get an appointment for my second shot. My appointment was for Tuesday, February 16, 2021 downtown Los Angeles 32 days after the first dose. Everything went smoothly and I got my second dose which apparently is the same as the first dose. This time the shot hurt enough that I grunted when the nurse gave me the second dose. For the rest of the day I was a little tired and my arm hurt if I pressed it. I slept all day Wednesday and if I moved my arm it hurt. By Friday most of the pain was gone now it feels a little stiff.

I’m told that they are working on another booster shot to deal with the new variants of COVID-19 and that I still have to wear a mask and stay locked down. It doesn’t make sense to me if it’s a vaccine.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

The vaccine is something like 96% effective, which means there's still a 4% chance you'll get it. It's also believed possible to be carrying the virus and transmitting it to others. So unfortunately, along with the risk that the vaccine won't work on all variants, wearing a mask is still a really good idea.
Stewart
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1966 2cv
1967 mgb gt sc
1975 mgb sc
1973 1800es
1972 Citroen ID21 wagon

Post by Stewart »

Don't forget the latest one Steve. Somehow Bill Gates found time from putting microchips in vaccines to make a device that changed the weather and sent fake snow to Texas.

My parents finally got the first shot last week as the county had the vaccine available but not the city of LA. The whole thing was well run and they had no effects from the shots.
Steve Simmons wrote: The earth is flat, we never landed on the moon and the vaccine has tracking microchips in it. Yes, there are people who actually believe all these things. And the ones protesting about "the man" trying to digitally track us all have digital tracking devices in their pockets already (smart phones). And don't tell them about the eavesdropping devices in their houses - Alexa, smart TVs, cell phones, etc. Ever had a conversation about something and suddenly you get ads on your phone's web browser for said item? It isn't coincidence, it's software doing what it's designed to do. And for some reason this doesn't bother them. :wtf:

My in-laws and parents have all had their first shots, so we're one step closer to not worrying about them quite as much. They said it was easy, in and out quickly and no side effects.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Inoculated

Post by VWNate1 »

At long last Kaiser got 20 % of California's vaccines so they sent me a text to come in and I did to - day .

A gloriously beautiful day, I rode my Motocycle .

They had everything set up on the 4th level of the parking garage, plenty of pretty and friendly nurses to flirt with whilst waiting .

The one who gave me the stick, was *very* talented and I barely felt a thing .

They gave me a CDC card I must carry now and made my 2nd. dose appt. at the same time .

Well done ! .
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I love the fake snow thing. So many morons to make fun of. :)

My parents got their second dose today. One is feeling fine and the other has a slight fever and tiredness.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

So Many Morons To Make Fun Of....

Post by VWNate1 »

Hey ~ that could be me I think :oops: .

I grew up in Snow Country but mostly drove my rusty '59 Ford pickup around the farm and back woods, I can't recall being behind the wheel in the snow until I came to California and of course, zoomed up the hill on bias ply tires in a clapped out VW to see snow every year...

Somehow I managed to never wreck nor even slide off the mountain roads...

Most of us here are in Southern California so there are millions of morons every where, I can laugh at them driving to the 7-11 for coffee.

Plus of course, me on my old Motos and various elderly vehicles, pretending I know what I'm doing behind the wheel .
-Nate
Stewart
Core Member
1967 mgb gt sc
1975 mgb sc
1973 1800es
1972 Citroen ID21 wagon

Post by Stewart »

Finally got my first shot of the Pfizer flavor today. Bit of a headache and a slightly sore arm but not nearly as bad as a tetanus booster. Parent's had their second round mom felt nothing dad got knocked on his butt for 48 hours but is now fine.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Inoculation

Post by VWNate1 »

I'm taking my Sweet in to - morrow at 1PM .

I didn't have any reactions at all but a mate of mine told me his friend didn't feel well, went home to sleep it off and DIED so I guess if it makes you feel woozy, stay there wherever you got the shot so they can take care of you ! .
-Nate
Stewart
Core Member
1967 mgb gt sc
1975 mgb sc
1973 1800es
1972 Citroen ID21 wagon

Post by Stewart »

Had the second one. Arm feels like I was on the loosing end of a game of slug bug where a trailer full of bugs went by the school bus. Slight meh feeling and headache the next day and now fine.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

Still hanging in there, I'll take S.W.M.B.O. for her 2nd shot Friday 4.23 .

I'm keeping away from others but not staying indoors too much ~ I just spent four days on the Bottom Buster Motor Tour, I didn't actually see the others often but we had the whale of a good time .
-Nate