Law Enforcement Cracking Down on Supercar Sunday

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Law Enforcement Cracking Down on Supercar Sunday

Post by Steve Simmons »

Originally posted (with photos) on the Vintage Motoring Main Page.

Several cars were stopped and the drivers ticketed while on their way to and from Supercar Sunday on April 26th. The crackdown on burnouts and speeding started with a lecture from two policemen to a large group of Mustang owners, who have gained a reputation for causing problems at the event. The group was sternly instructed to keep their throttles under control and show more caution in the way they exit as a group. Afterward, the crowds cheered and jeered as a silver Ferrari was the first of many to fall victim to the pair of patrol cars staking out Mulholland Drive in front of the weekly event. The general feeling was one of relief and gratitude that the police were doing something about the “ego problems” that threaten to shut down this event forever, as seen at Crystal Cove which was the precursor to Cars & Coffee.

There was also a strong police presence on Mulholland Highway and various adjoining canyons, adding to the message being sent by local law enforcement. Unfortunately they were nowhere to be seen at the Rock Store overlook, where several motorcyclists were doing wheelies at high speed past the busy overlook. One motorcyclist was being airlifted out after a fairly serious accident just below the same overlook. There was no official word on how long the increased patrols and citations will last, but it’s a safe bet that the city will be looking toward Supercar Sunday and the surrounding canyon roads as a source of additional income in the foreseeable future.
spitfire
Core Member

Re: Law Enforcement Cracking Down on Supercar Sunday

Post by spitfire »

i believe cars and coffee was having a similar problem. I have no problem with keeping those egos in check. These are public roads, no need for acting like an idiot out there.
drtombellows
Vehicles Owned: MGB Mark II, 19XX
2012 Toyota Corolla

Re: Law Enforcement Cracking Down on Supercar Sunday

Post by drtombellows »

I think that it is about time that those who cause the dangers get caught by the police. If that helps lower our taxes, then I'm all for it. If they have the money to spend on tires and gas, let them pay the fines too.