2009 Memorial Day Run

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
KraigG

Re: 2009 Memorial Day Run

Post by KraigG »

I was on this run last year, but was a DNF due to my TR6 having some front end trouble. I'd like to come again this year, but no longer have a British car to bring.

May I bring my 928? It's almost 30 years old :)
1980 Porsche 928
1997 BMW Z3
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

KraigG wrote:I was on this run last year, but was a DNF due to my TR6 having some front end trouble. I'd like to come again this year, but no longer have a British car to bring. May I bring my 928? It's almost 30 years old :)
I love 928s! As always, everyone is welcome regardless of what they're driving. The reason so many cars on these runs are British because that's how this site started out, but even back then we weren't picky. ;)
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

Yep they even welcomed my new Mini every time. But now its gone, it will be some time until I get the MGB up and running. Like I said though, maybe September.

I found this site shortly after getting the new mini and wanted to go on a fun drive too.
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Steve Simmons wrote:Same basic route as we do every Memorial Day. The route sheet will be posted later today once I verify that there are no closed roads. Anyone want to save me some time and make sure West Potrero is open down the canyon to Lewis?
Steve, this will be my first Memorial Day run with you...you were working last year, so we didn't run the traditional route. As of last weekend, Portrero was open.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

That's right, you led the last one! We sometimes depart from tradition but usually we stick to the same basic routes. This year I've changed the last regrouping stop from Mugu Beach to Mugu Rock, because the park service has started charging money to park at the beach and I'm tired of arguing our way in for free. Otherwise apart from a road re-design in Camarillo it's the same route we've been doing since the first one several years ago.
spydermonkey

Post by spydermonkey »

Were fueled up and leaving Santa Clarita @ 7:30 taking surface streets, Wish us luck
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

That's a long way on surface streets. You sure that's enough time? There should be little traffic on the highways so you could always sit in the slow lane and cruise, at least through the slower parts of the city. Maybe hop down 5 or 14 to Balboa, take that to 118 West, exit Topanga Canyon and drive it from end to end all the way to the beach, then turn right to Malibu. Just a thought. :)
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

spydermonkey wrote:Were fueled up and leaving Santa Clarita @ 7:30 taking surface streets, Wish us luck
Keith,

As Steve said, "That's a long way on surface streets". I take the 5 to the 405 to the 101 to Las Virgenes Rd to the Pacific Coast Hwy, turn left and less than a mile on the right is where you want to go.

Google maps says it'll take around 50 minutes for me to get there from my home. If you want to caravan, I live in North Hollywood and I'll be leaving around the same time. You can call me at ###-###-#### (phone number removed).
Last edited by tannyo on Mon May 25, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spydermonkey

Post by spydermonkey »

Maybe I will say a prayer to the church of England and take the freeway. I'm usually in an F-650.
drtombellows
Vehicles Owned: MGB Mark II, 19XX
2012 Toyota Corolla

Post by drtombellows »

Steve:
A bunch of us lost you after the first stop sign after the first regroup. Some cars took the left branch at the Encinal Cyn / Mulholland split and never found you again.
A suggestion - stop on the other side of the stop sign like you do at the beginning on Malibu Road and wait for all of us to get across the stop sign. There is a lot of traffic on the road cross through road and it takes a while for all of to get across it. That way you won't lose so many by one car's mistake.
It was fun - see you next time and next Sunday if you are at Super Sunday.
Tom
tannyo
Veteran Member

2009 Memorial Day Run - Pictures - 1

Post by tannyo »

Over all it was a nice run. Nobody was hurt, though the group at the end got lost and some who live in the Thousand Oaks area ended the run there. Maybe someone can put names with the cars.

Steve Simmons' MGC GTS
P5250170.jpg
I think this is a Westfield, one of the cars that stopped in Thousand Oaks. The driver wore goggles and was in a hurry.
P5250169.jpg
A TR6.
P5250164.jpg
The TR6 was there at the end and Adam and Steve's Y lost some brake fluid but still made it.
P5250163.jpg
My 1971 MGB GT, Jimmy Nylund's 1965 MGB with V8 and Tom Bellows' 1979 MBG converted to chrome bumpers.
P5250160.jpg
Last edited by tannyo on Tue May 26, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tannyo
Veteran Member

2009 Memorial Day Run - Pictures - 2

Post by tannyo »

Triumph Spitfire GT. Paint was a little faded, but the body and interior looked pretty good. A little elbow grease and detailing and this car will look real nice.
P5250156.jpg
I followed this MGB GT for the whole run.
P5250155.jpg
MGB GTs everywhere.
P5250153.jpg
Nice Lotus
P5250150.jpg
More of Tom Bellows' 1979 MGB converted to chrome bumpers.
P5250177.jpg
tannyo
Veteran Member

2009 Memorial Day Run - Pictures - 3

Post by tannyo »

Triumph TR3 in very nice shape.
P5250174.jpg
The Jaguar made the run, the mini didn't come along for the ride.
P5250157.jpg
A Volvo and a Mini
P5250154.jpg
A MG TD and a Mini
P5250166.jpg
And finally Gene's MG TC. Gene didn't waste time and the car I followed, followed Gene.
P5250159.jpg
I'm sorry I couldn't remember everyone's name, this is my first run. Give me your name and details of your car and I'll be glad to edit the posts.

Tanny O'Haley
Last edited by tannyo on Tue May 26, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spydermonkey

Post by spydermonkey »

Delightful day
drtombellows
2012 Toyota Corolla

Post by drtombellows »

8) 8) Great set of photos. Thanks for posting them. :) 8)
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Great run and a beautiful day! Thanks for posting the photos, Tanny. I'm also looking forward to Pat Bailey's son's photo of the group from on top of the climbing rock at the beach! :D I'll try to get mine sorted and posted tonight.
drtombellows wrote:Some cars took the left branch at the Encinal Cyn / Mulholland split and never found you again.
A suggestion - stop on the other side of the stop sign like you do at the beginning on Malibu Road and wait for all of us to get across the stop sign.
We did wait a moment at that stop sign but it seemed like everyone was getting through in one go so we continued on before we had a major backup of cars. With that many cars in one group it's impossible to see them all from the front. All we can do is hope that if someone makes a wrong turn, that the person behind them doesn't blindly follow. It does seem to happen on a lot of runs but unless we get volunteers to be group leaders then I don't think we can get around it entirely. Kudos to Adam and Steve for volunteering to be the sweep vehicle. They did make the right at the Encinal / Mulholland split so the people who went left must have been out of sight of both the cars ahead and the cars behind!

If the directions can be better please let me know!
MoPho
Core Member
Location: dumpy little building in beautiful downtown Culver City

Post by MoPho »

What you should do is tell everyone that at intersections they must wait to see the car behind them to come into sight before moving on. This way everyone can see which way the cars went and nobody gets lost or if someone breaks down or worse, they don't get left behind
http://www.morgansegal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I agree completely, MoPho! Some people were doing that including Larry Kluss (according to my wife whom he stole from me with his fancy Jaguar on Leg 2). I suppose we can suggest it on the route sheet next time. I know that some people won't want to drop off their group to wait for a slower group, so it may not always work. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

By the way, we missed you today!
drtombellows
2012 Toyota Corolla

Post by drtombellows »

It takes only one car to be slow to set up a slow group because there is no passing unless the slow car pulls off of the road. Or, one car to be held up at the busy stop sign at Kanen road. What happened was that one of the cars came back from the right road and took the left road. Seeing that we all followed that car because it was assumed that they knew where they were going. You are correct, we didn't stop and look at the directions or have a map of them to look at, so we got lost and never made it back up. :hammer: :hammer:
MoPho
Core Member

Post by MoPho »

Steve Simmons wrote: By the way, we missed you today!

Yeah, well you know the whole Lot's Of Trouble Usually Serious? Well it extends to relatives of the marque too :hammer:

Throttle decided to start sticking open at about 4-5k., made the car pretty difficult to drive. I had already installed a new throttle cable, so spent all day yesterday taking apart the individual throttle bodies, fuel rail and injectors, cleaning everything out, adjusting, etc in hopes of making it today and it didn't solve the problem. Only thing left to be the cause is the return springs (which seemed an unlikely cause since they appear to be in good condition), couldn't get new ones in time for the drive. :cry:
Kerim21

Post by Kerim21 »

hey Steve, Thanks for the fun run, I was one of those that was following a group of cars in front of me and we ended up in some road that took us to Cabrillo state park and beach, near zuma. We were following a MG TC, a Mini, couple of Triumphs, a Volvo, then me and behind me the yellow Chrome conversion on the photos.

We had fun, I went back to the starting point but nobody was there so I left. I will try to be there for the next one.
Once again, thank you for a fun run, it was my first and it will definitely will not be my last.

Kerim
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

MoPho wrote:
Steve Simmons wrote:Throttle decided to start sticking open at about 4-5k., made the car pretty difficult to drive.
I can imagine! :eek: I have lots of springs for that stuff in case it becomes a problem again, just FYI.

Kerim, I think it was a TD you were behind because the TC was with us until the end of the run and we never saw either of the TDs again. The two TR-6's were at the last regrouping stop near Point Mugu when we got there so we suspected immediately that someone may have taken a wrong turn. I wonder why someone turned around on Mulholland and went down Encinal though! :?

We definitely wouldn't have been back at the starting point yet since the run was only at the halfway point, if that, where you guys went off-route.

It was much easier when we were a group of 12. Someone counted 46 cars at the start! I counted 35 but that was what I could see from one spot in the parking lot. Good turnout today!
MoPho
Core Member

Post by MoPho »

Does anyone know who the guy with the VTEC powered mini is? I have a friend who recently bought a mini and possibly wants to do something similar to it and I thought he should see that car
JohninCM

Post by JohninCM »

Morgan,

Most of those Mini's are members of MOALA and they can be found at

http://moalachat.com/

Hope that helps?

John
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Guys, the reality is there are holes in all of those suggestions. One purpose of the rest points is so everyone can catch up and regroup. Waiting for the car behind you means the whole group is paced by the slowest (or most held up) car. That only works if the group is very small or the cars are all of similar performance and ambition. I intentionally hung back in the Jag knowing that I was not going to go at the front-running pace I do in the B. And when Steve waited for the group coming out of the start on PCH, things got a little dicey with the cars ahead of me merging back into the regular traffic.

Having group leaders means a lot more organization and planning, which is not in the spirit of these fun runs. There is a published route and people should not follow blindly. The split at Encinal is very well marked, but we do need to pay attention to the signs.

Another problem is when someone peels off to head home and the cars behind don't know what he's doing, so they follow. Pull over and/or go to the back before deviating from the course so as not to confuse others.

Steve has been kind enough to arrange these runs for all of us to get together, socialize, and enjoy our cars together for a few hours. I think we need to help him out by reviewing the routes ahead of time to be sure we don't get lost. Also, if everyone (on their own) teams up with a car or two at the start and agrees to make the run together, one of them can be responsible for keeping them on course.

Personally, I had a great time and look forward to the next one...thanks, Steve! :thumbs: