2009 Labor Day Run - Now with photos!

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
spydermonkey

Re: 2009 Labor Day Run

Post by spydermonkey »

wax envy, I think I've got wax envy
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

:) Well its 9:30am as I write this and you all should have been at the first stop by now at the overlook and starting to get relaxed into a nice day for a nice BLAT into the twisty roads of the hills and mountains overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Boy I miss another good drive with like minded folks...... Well yesterday I was called by a friend that wanted to take his JAKEMOBLE to the Primer Nationals at the Ventura County Fair Grounds so I hooked up the car trailer and picked up his vehicle and we when to the fair grounds to display his ride, its for sale and in a non-operatable registration so he did not want to drive it there. Now you have to understand that the Primer Nationals is mainly a bunch of gear heads with what are called RAT RODS or Custom Rods that is some where between a completed Street Rod and a show car. Most of the folks that I talked to are really gear heads that are of a different drummer (trying to live the car culture of the early fifties) but are all cool and have some great looking rides but just different than what I myself find interesting enough to have for myself and besides I just do not think I would fit into the look as for one I do not have any Tattoos (come at me with a needle and you better be ready for one hell of a fight or I am really sick) which seems to be one of the requirements of owning a RAT ROD and no hair on the top of my head..... :lol: , now don't get me wrong some of the skin art was very good looking and had my interest to say the least especially on some of the women that were their but that is a whole other subject. Getting back to my story...as I was sitting in my comfortable beach chair and being into watching the skin art walking around I did not take into consideration the intensity of the sun and had made the mistake of not putting a sun screen on my feet like I had done on my arms and legs and face and neck as I due when I know that I am going out into the sun for a period of time. Yes I was warring sandals without socks and boy I now wish I had had my sneakers on as the top of my feet are so sore from the sunburn they received that wearing shoes is not in the cards today as my feet are very should I say burned were ever they where exposed and not covered by a strap by my sandals.... :roll: .... So I hope you all have now had a good laugh on me and had a great BLAT through the twisty while I am sitting here at home with sore and burnt feet but it was worth it to some degree as I did have a good time as I know you all are today... :thumbs: Post smoe photos so I can see what I missed today as their is always something interesting at all of these runs.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks, Steve, for yet another great run.

Yep, you missed a really nice one, Martin, with an amazingly diverse mix of cars and great people - well, I was there too, but still.
With perfect weather, it just couldn't have been much better...except for that Steve showed up with one of his Potential Pick Ups (maybe he expected rain?), Tanny hadn't even washed (!) his roofed car (maybe he, too, expected rain) and wouldn't let me cut the damn lid off.
About the only real bummer was a minor spin-out that resulted in some (hopefully mostly) cosmetic damage.

Now I just want to hear from Gene what the Jaguar dealer offered in trade-in for the TC.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Great run, everyone! Boy, what a mix of cars we had. I counted 16 different makes and 32 cars at the start. We even picked up a few more along the way (three cars and two additional makes). The weather could not have been better, at least not in August, and the cool ocean breeze made it even nicer at the second stop.

Kristian did have a minor bumper-bender so Jason and I drove back around and down Tuna again to assist him. When we finally got there, he was gone! I guess he got the bumper pulled back into shape on his own. Kristian, if you're out there let us know you got home safely!

I would also like to put out a call to everyone to find Kristian a new bumper.
Does anyone have a spare, straight bumper laying around to donate to a fellow enthusiast in need?

Back to the run in general, the makes and models in attendance that I counted were (in no particular order):
M.G. - MGB, MGB GT, MGC GT, MGA, MG TC
Triumph - TR-3, TR-4
Austin Healey - 3000?
Jaguar - Mark II Sedan, E-Type Roadster
Porsche - 914-6
BMW - 1600
Lotus - Elan
Datsun - Fairlady, 1600
Bentley - model?
Volvo - P1800, 544
Suzuki - Cappucino convertible
Riley - Elf
Shelby - Series 1
Mini - Mini 1000
Mercedes - W-123 Diesel Coupe
Morgan - model?

Joining us on the road:
Mazda - Miata
VW - Rabbit 2.0
Lotus - Elise (new)

Several cars didn't do the run but most did, and I believe the majority even did the second loop.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

2009 Labor Day Run Photos

Post by tannyo »

I took a bunch of lousy pictures. I'm still learning after finally getting a camera (my phone actually) where I don't take blurry pictures. Here's the best out of the pictures I took.

Larry's MGB
CIMG0057.jpg
A nice Morgan
CIMG0059.jpg
Jimmy even brought his beater.
CIMG0062.jpg
This TR3 had a Ford 289 V8.
CIMG0066.jpg
More cars. Unfortunately the Shelby didn't go on the run.
CIMG0067.jpg
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

This was the Datsun 1600, the Fairlady was a nice gray but the picture didn't turn out.
CIMG0069.jpg
This Lotus is very small.
CIMG0077.jpg
Jason's Mini
CIMG0082.jpg
Doug drove his Volvo to the end of Tuna Canyon. All the Volvo's brakes really smelled at the end of Tuna Canyon
CIMG0084.jpg
Steve's MGC GTS dash.
CIMG0088.jpg
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Malcom and Gene by Malcom's Jag
CIMG0089.jpg
At the Rock Store overlook
CIMG0090.jpg
CIMG0092.jpg
CIMG0093.jpg
At the top of Stunt Road
CIMG0094.jpg
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

[quote="Steve Simmons"]
I would also like to put out a call to everyone to find Kristian a new bumper.
Does anyone have a spare, straight bumper laying around to donate to a fellow enthusiast in need?

Kristian, I have a far from perfect bumper (dull chrome and some dings) that you're welcome to use until you find something better. I was going to paint it and use it on the Beater, but won't get around to that for a while.
spiff23542
Vehicles Owned: 1963 MGB Light - British Racing Green
1986 Jaguar XJ6 - Black
2002 Nissan Frontier - Silver

Post by spiff23542 »

Thanks for the help Steve. I actually posted the gory details in a new thread. The B is definitely out of commission for the next couple of weeks at least. I will keep everyone posted on the repairs. Thanks for helping with the spare parts search, but truthfully the bumper is probably the least of my concerns at the moment. Up until that moment I had a great day, so thanks again for putting it together. I look forward to meeting for New Year's Day.
Kristian
Vehicles Owned: 65 Mustang
73 Mini
07 Cooper S
1 1978 VW Rabbit
86 Subaru Rally car
90 Honda CRX
1967 Triumph GT6

Post by rally_x »

Another great run! I posted some of my photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90159795@N ... 167613529/

Enjoy-
Patrick
78 VW Rabbit w/2.0L
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Nice pics.
Thanks!
elfman69
Vehicles Owned: '71 Volvo 142S
'69 Riley Elf (gone to new home)
'65 Volvo 1800S (gone to Asgard)

Post by elfman69 »

Awesome run, great group, terrific photos! Thanks, Steve, and everybody for making today an absolutely perfect symphony of cars, roads, and folks!

-- Doug G. ('69 Riley Elf)
olson
Vehicles Owned: 38 MG SA
47 MG TC
50 Renault 4CV
67 Triumph Spitfire
88 Toyota MR2

Post by olson »

Jimmy,
I know you have been pounding on MG B GT s , but I think your sawzall could be used to great effect on the Riley Elf. The Elf corners well, but going uphill it needs both Fred and Wilma with feet running.
If you could saw off the top, and the doors, and the boot, and toss some seats, it would be much better. At the next run I'll distract Doug and you can perform some surgery. You'll probably have enough sawed off parts to make a Fiat 500.
gene olson
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

You're onto something here, Gene.
The Beater was starting to misfire a bit due the exceedingly slow uphill speeds caused by the Elf.
Granted, I could've downshifted, but with a new clutch and throwout bearing, why wear them out prematurely?
Alright, so we'll do some weightloss excersizes on the Elf, which would allow us to get to where we intended to go quicker, which in turn would facilitate helping fellow motorists with bent bumpers, give Tanny a chance to wax his car again, let Steve get out of his cage to take pics...well, it's a win, win, win...
However, rather than making the leftovers into a Fiat 500, a car I truly like, why not cobble up a hardtop for Malcolm's Midget from the parts?
Yes, he's looking at making his '75 Midget a contender in the keep-up-with-Gene wars - but wants a hardtop for it.
I suggested using an XXXL motorcycle helmet, but Malcom feels it may still be a bit small, even for a Midget.
More importantly, I still want to know that trade in value of an Exxon-Valdez wanna-be MG TC.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

You guys are hilarious, yet brutal! :lol: The Elf may be lacking in raw power for getting up the hills, but I named Doug the 9th wonder of the world today (Gene is the 8th) for how fast he keeps that thing moving! Larry was really steaming up Latigo. We took it slow on Kanan and Mulholland but even so, the Elf was only a couple minutes behind (at most) at the overlook. In the speed versus power department, he's probably nearly as fast as Gene!
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Nice job on the photos guys...thanks for posting them.

I can vouch for Doug's Elf. He normally keeps up surprisingly well excpet when the faster cars push the pace hard.
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Well, as the guy with the micro-Suzuki (sorry, but I'm lousy with names) pointed out at Saddle Peak today, "It's not how much power you've got, but how little weight."
Granted, low weight is not a cure-all - for example, I fought severe air resistance going up Latigo. Not just because of a complete lack of a wax job, or even a wash, but due to the thick fumes left behind by a certain red MGB with a roof on it.
Not only was there an aerodynamic disadvantage (if you ask Tanny) but my poor motor was also starved of oxygen due to the fact that the air was laden with GTS exhaust.
I now know why you have two exhaust pipes - one for actual exhaust, and one for expelling relatively raw fuel.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: That Was GREAT !

Post by VWNate1 »

And I thank you for inviting us .

The Mercedes was an uncommon (not 'rare' !) W-123 Diesel Coupe , 5 cylinder turbocharged of course... :roll:

It has 342,000 miles on it but still gets on down the road O.K. .

next weekend it's off to Death Valley ! :thumbs:

It was a hoot to see all the variety of vehicles .
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Love all the photos! Thanks for sharing them. If there are no objections, I may drag a few into the gallery on the main VM site, once I get the time to do it. I still haven't sorted through my own photos but will do so in the next couple days.

Jimmy, the unaerodynamic and oxygen-starved environment I placed you in was more than compensated for by the gasoline-laced atmosphere, which burns more readily than regular air. It's like having starter fluid sprayed into your intake. Had I tuned my carbs leaner, you surely would have fallen behind the group!
FunElan

Post by FunElan »

Fun run today!! The man with the Suzuki is Aaron Robinson, you may see his name if you read Car and Driver.

Steve, I should let you know that the yellow Lotus that joined us was a 2005 Elise. 1.8L, 190 hp, 2000 lbs.

Thanks for organizing! And for letting another german car tag along! :D

-Matt, '68 BMW 1600
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

German cars are always welcome! The whole idea is to get classic cars together regardless of make. The days of being a British-only group are long gone, although I suspect we will always have a majority of British sports cars on the runs simply because there are so many on the road, and they are so perfect for the roads we drive.

We have a few German cars in the membership, but no one has ever posted a photo in the "Post a picture of your ride" thread. There must be 50 cars out there that have not been posted there yet, which means none of them are in the "Member Cars" gallery. :cry:
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Steve Simmons wrote:Jimmy, the unaerodynamic and oxygen-starved environment I placed you in was more than compensated for by the gasoline-laced atmosphere, which burns more readily than regular air. It's like having starter fluid sprayed into your intake. Had I tuned my carbs leaner, you surely would have fallen behind the group!
I would've reponded earlier, but my psychiatrist insist that I pause a minimum of one hour between interactions with regular people.
Anyway, I just KNEW that I should've compensated for that comeback, somehow, and it does indeed help explain why Tanny had to use his brakes so much although we were going uphill.
Perhaps the severly soiled and (recently) un-waxed surface of his aerodynamically superior and normally spotless GT (a close second to the space shuttle, I believe) created enough turbulence to deprive my motor of the full benefits of the fuel-enriched atmoshpere in your wake.
Oh, well, next time I won't let you pass, and then you'll have to deal with the byproducts of the Beater B.
That might even warrant having a roof, come to think of it...
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Steve Simmons wrote:Jimmy, the unaerodynamic and oxygen-starved environment I placed you in was more than compensated for by the gasoline-laced atmosphere, which burns more readily than regular air. It's like having starter fluid sprayed into your intake. Had I tuned my carbs leaner, you surely would have fallen behind the group!
Jimmy wrote:... and it does indeed help explain why Tanny had to use his brakes so much although we were going uphill.
Perhaps the severly soiled and (recently) un-waxed surface of his aerodynamically superior and normally spotless GT (a close second to the space shuttle, I believe) created enough turbulence to deprive my motor of the full benefits of the fuel-enriched atmoshpere in your wake.
Oh, well, next time I won't let you pass, and then you'll have to deal with the byproducts of the Beater B.
That might even warrant having a roof, come to think of it...
Jimmy,
Actually the "gasoline-laced atmosphere" not only gave my GT more power, which is why I kept having to put on the brakes when following Steve, but it also gave me better gas mileage. When I did the pre-run on Saturday instead of my usual 25 to 28 miles per gallon, I only got 17.2. After following Steve on Monday, despite driving aggressively, my mileage went up to 23.3 miles per gallon. Maybe you need to richen up the mixture in your SUs and just maybe the turbulence from my GT caused you problems, though I don't know how, you weren't that close behind me. :)
tannyo
Veteran Member

Re: 2009 Labor Day Run - Now with photos!

Post by tannyo »

Now if I had driven less aggressively, I probably would have to have pulled over every so often to empty a few gallons out of my gas tank because of the phenomenal gas mileage.
spitfire
Core Member

Re: 2009 Labor Day Run - Now with photos!

Post by spitfire »

I would like to thank Tanny, Gene, and Malcolm for giving me a ride in their respective cars. It was an absolute blast and has reinvigorated my desire to get the B on the road.

I am having PC problems at home so getting pictures uploaded may be a while.

Steve the VW was simply a Golf with a lot of stickers on it. He may have done a few upgrades however it was not a GTI.