License Plate/Reg Tag Letters?

Looking for parts or service, or have someone to recommend? Post here!
FunElan, Sr.

License Plate/Reg Tag Letters?

Post by FunElan, Sr. »

Does anyone know where to get the individual British license letters to affix to a grille (not a license plate, just the letters)?
There's no way to (nicely) fit a front plate to my car, and I'm starting to worry about getting a ticket. I have painted the letters on, but it only reads from certain angles.
Thanks in advance.
Forgive me if this is a newbie question.
-David
You know, this internet thing could really catch on.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: License Plate/Reg Tag Letters?

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey David, it's been a while! I know there are license plate places in the UK but I don't know that they sell just the letters. You're talking about the raised white letters, correct? I will inquire with some friends who deal with older British cars and see what they say.

No matter what you do, it won't be legal without a real CA plate. I've gone over this with a friend in one of my car clubs whose career has been spent training traffic officers. She says no way, no how is anything but a real plate going to get by. But... in most places I've found cops turn a blind eye to classics like these. I've been driving my '49 MG TC with no plates whatsoever (CA plate under the seat) for several years and many multi-thousand mile trips. No issues. I've also never had a front plate on any classic I've owned, and again no issues.

In some places like Beverly Hills and Santa Monica they rely heavily on red light cameras, so you may not be so lucky there. Fortunately for me I spend little time in those cities.

I guess this is more info than you asked for and you probably know it all anyway, but there it is! :D

If you want to squeak by, you could always fashion some adhesive decals, UK rally style, as I did on my MGC. They aren't legal but you may be able to argue with an unknowing officer that the car came originally that way and that you're trying your best to conform to local laws with a car that has no provision for a front plate. I'm not saying to cheat the law or anything of course... :devil:

Here is a photo of my MGC showing the front decal:

Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Try eBay UK. You'd be surprised what you can find.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

When I was driving my MINI it had a slot for a tow hook in the front, and people have adapted plate holders for those, to avoid drilling into the bumper. I was thinking of doing that for my B, when I get to the point of having it ready for the road.