Basic 1977 Midget maintenance...

Looking for parts or service, or have someone to recommend? Post here!
RossFrancis

Basic 1977 Midget maintenance...

Post by RossFrancis »

SO,
I just bought my first MG which was actually posted on this site and it needs a bit of work. over at MG experience they're telling ME to do it all. I have no problem working on the car there are just some things im not comfortable doing on what will be my daily driver. For instance, Bleeding the brakes. or fooling with the motor. or even an oil change. I've never done any of it. While i'm willling to learn I dont want to screw this car up.
:D
That being said. I need a recommendation for someone to change my oil, bleed the brakes and do a general tune up and to replace the air duct.

I'll continue to read up. Steve has told me about Kavanugh Motors, they're just a bit out of the way. being over the hill and all.
Anyone know a mechanic nearer to hollywood? :?
Or just in the L.A. area.
I appreciate any assistance. if you got nothing, say hi anyway!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Basic 1977 Midget maintenance...

Post by Steve Simmons »

The MGBE site in general has a bit of the "do it yourself or you don't deserve it" attitude. While I do most of my own work, that doesn't mean I think that everyone should. Heck, if I were a rich guy then I would probably hire a personal mechanic and have him do a lot of my work for me. I do enjoy doing some work but only when I want to, not always when I have to. The main reason I do most of my own work is that I simply can't afford to pay someone to work on seven classic cars.

There is certainly something to be said for the feeling of accomplishment as well as self confidence after completing a repair on your own. If you're uncomfortable with doing it, then just take it slow and do little things yourself while hiring a mechanic to do the more involved work. Hopefully you won't need anything major anyway.

I'm sure I will get others agreeing when I recommend Malcolm (a member of this site) as a trustworthy mechanic, and that it would be worth the drive to Temple City to have him check the car over and do some general maintenance. Yeah, it's kind of far but if you can schedule it outside of traffic then it isn't too bad of a drive. In my opinion, a mechanic you can trust is worth his weight in gold. How much does Malcolm weigh, anyway? :)

I'll add one more thing, I think it's important to know the basics of an old car if you will be driving it daily. In the event of a breakdown, a small amount of basic knowledge about your car's systems as well as a few hand tools and small parts will be the primary difference between being towed off the side of the road, and driving the car away under its own power. In 20 years of driving old cars, mine have rarely stopped running while driving down the road. When they have, it has almost always been less than ten minutes to figure out what happened and remedy it.

My recommendation would be to buy a repair manual or two, and keep one in the trunk along with a few tools, ignition parts, etc. Definitely do your own oil change, simply because it's really easy and will give you confidence to move forward. Warm the engine, drain the old oil, change the filter, fill the oil back up. It's a very simple car, and routine maintenance will be pretty easy to learn over time. Oh yes, also pick up a Moss Motors catalog as soon as possible. You will be spending a few paychecks there during your ownership. ;)

One last note, if you want to swing by in the car one of these days, I can give you a little primer and show you how things work. Bring some oil and a filter and you can even change the oil here.
RossFrancis

Post by RossFrancis »

Wow Steve!
you are just about the greatest.
I'd appreciate anything you're willing to teach me about the car. You hit my feelings about working on the carversus going to a mechanic on the head. I WANT to be able to do this. but at this point... I simply dont know enough. It'd be great to learn how to do the oil. Maybe even the brakes because ive heard its simple. However u'd rather not drive it until i smog it and register it, and learn sticka bit better. It's only my second car after all.
Thanks Steve!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey, no worries. I would also recommend a AAA membership if you don't have one already. I don't want to say your car is going to be unreliable, but it IS a new car to you with a relatively unknown history and there will be bugs to sort out. There always are.

In time, you will have gone through everything and will trust the car implicitly. But for now, a single tow on the side of the road will pay for a year of AAA and there are many more benefits including being able to register the car at a AAA office instead of waiting in line at the DMV. The other good thing is that Malcolm's place is within the free towing range of the standard AAA membership. ;)

Get a repair manual and read up, just to get familiar with whatever you can. Haynes is a good starter manual because it isn't too technical. Plus ask questions and we will answer. Most of all, have fun! :)
RossFrancis

Post by RossFrancis »

I'll definitly be getting the AAA membership. heres a question though. If i buy inisurance through them do they give me a membership with the insurance? Because of all the companies for insurance i looked at they were the cheapes for the most reasonable coverage.
Ross
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I think they are separate.
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Hey, Steve, were you working on the Ford today?
Looked like a fair amount of smoke out your way.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Nope, working on an M.G. Must have let some smoke out of the wiring.
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

I think you're lying.
A friend of mine lives only a few blocks from you, and he said he had ash falling down at his house.
Sure you weren't working on a Morgan - the have ash frames, right?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

There are no fires anywhere that I can see, Jimmy. No ash and no smoke... except for whatever your friend is smoking!
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Well, this was several hours ago.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

AAA membership and insurance are separate. I have them both. Get the membership with 100 miles of towing. There are lots of discounts AAA membership gets you too.

There was a brush fire in Calabasas at the 101 freeway. Traffic was backed up to Winnetka.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

The fire was on the northbound side of the 101 freeway, just north of Parkway Calabasa, across the freeway near the Volvo dealership. It smelled pretty badly but was out by the time Jane and I drove by it around 7:45 PM.
jonphillips
Vehicles Owned: 64 MGB Roadster

Post by jonphillips »

Probably too far way for you but I'd always recommend British European in San Pedro. Still, starting off with oil changes and brake bleeding is a good place to get going. Get one of those simple bleed kits that uses the spare tyre to pressurize it and the whole thing is quick and easy. I'll give the oil change as by the time you do it yourself and then have to take the used oil somewhere for disposal you might as well have got it done for you. Have fun, my first MG was a 72 midget - mind you driving in the UK it didn't look quite so tiny amongst the traffic......