SU Air Filters

Looking for parts or service, or have someone to recommend? Post here!
Nunyas

SU Air Filters

Post by Nunyas »

If you're looking for an air filter to 'spruce up' your SU's, I highly recommend SU Filters.com. He uses a dual foam filter, with custom billet aluminum plates that can be engraved with anything you want. The back plate includes an integral velocity stack/air horn, and can have a crank case breather fitted if requested.

I bought one for my HS6 (Zenith to HS6 conversion), and had the MG logo engraved into the front plate within a recessed octagon. I'm really impressed with the quality of product that I got. The price of the filter is competitive with other "high performance" name brand filters too.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I've seen his products and nearly bought some myself. They do look to be of high quality.

How about a photo of said filter, Rob? ;)
Nunyas

Post by Nunyas »

ok... here they are:
Nunyas

Post by Nunyas »

That is a 2.5" thick filter. There's about 1/2" clearance between the filter and the brake MC and reservoir. The thickness of the top plate makes it a bit difficult to remove the filter element for cleaning. Then again, I could be going about it wrong.

I initially thought about going with their thinner air filter, but the flow rate of a single thin filter doesn't meet the needs of the engine. If I had a dual carb conversion, I would have definitely gone with the thinner filters.

Earlier cars (pre-power brake cars) might be able to get away with 2 2.5" filters though.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Nice! I've thought about putting a loose chrome mesh over the filter media, similar to the one in the photo below. I've seen mesh with larger holes and thicker metal, chromed.

I also wish the filter media came in a color other than red. It looks great on newer cars (newer to me is anything after the 50's) but not on the vintage stuff. And the only car I need filters for is my '49.
Nunyas

Post by Nunyas »

the inner foam is yellow. So, I suppose the foam can be flipped inside out.

This filter design puts that mesh on the inside to provide a rigid backing for the foam.