Help with Posting Photos

Comments, suggestions, complaints? Post them here!
Also look here for new features, changes and other forum announcements.
gwarcuri
Vehicles Owned: 1989 BMW 325is
2007 Acura TL
2012 Mazda CX-9

Help with Posting Photos

Post by gwarcuri »

I'm fairly adept with most computer routines, but when I registered as a member on Vintage Motoring, I'll have to admit that I was flummoxed on how to post photos, e.g. on the "Post a picture of your ride" discussion. I finally managed to upload an avatar, and a single photo on "your ride", but I had to use a very convoluted process to do so. Could someone with more familiarity with the site, and how it handles photos, write a simple, straightforward procedure for the rest of us? It would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to share photos on the "Spotted around town" discussion, but I think it should be easier than what I've gone through up to now. Thanks!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Help with Posting Photos

Post by Steve Simmons »

When posting or replying...

1. Below the reply window, click "Upload Attachment" tab
2. Click "Browse" button and select the photo on your computer
3. Click "Add the file" button

That's it, and just repeat the process for additional photos. When you submit your message, the photos will be added automatically.

There are additional options such as adding a comment to each photo, or posting them inline within your message. But these are not necessary.

I would like to add a feature to batch upload images to a post, but don't hold your breath for me to figure out the code to do that. ;)
gwarcuri
Vehicles Owned: 1989 BMW 325is
2007 Acura TL
2012 Mazda CX-9

Post by gwarcuri »

Steve,

Thanks for the prompt reply regarding posting photos. I am familiar with the upload basics. It seems that I keep running into image size problems. Any photo I've tried to upload from my iPad will trip the "oversize" limit. By the time I re-size the image to meet the size limit criteria, the images lose a great deal of clarity. I must be doing something wrong.

Jerry
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Detail loss is almost always a result of the program or device doing the resampling. Normally I add sharpening to any image that I reduce in size and it makes up for the losses. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the iPad resizing application but perhaps there is a setting to add sharpness? Or it could be that it's trying to reduce the file size so much that the detail loss is too great. There may be a setting to resize with higher quality / larger file size.

Just in case the problem is the iPad software being bad at optimizing photos, I've increased the attachment size by 100K. Let me know if that's big enough to get a better quality image.

Here is an image resized in Photoshop and saved at medium quality, and then again in high quality with sharpening added. You can really see the difference in detail.
Attachments
sample1.jpg
sample1.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 10772 times
sample2.jpg
sample2.jpg (418.41 KiB) Viewed 10772 times