10/02/2007: New Anti-Spam Feature

Comments, suggestions, complaints? Post them here!
Also look here for new features, changes and other forum announcements.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

10/02/2007: New Anti-Spam Feature

Post by Steve Simmons »

With spammers becoming more clever each day, I find the current anti-spam measures to be less effective than I would like. For a while there were virtually no new spam accounts on the forum but now I find myself deleting about a dozen per day. It's a hassle to sort them out, block IP ranges, etc, so I just added a new feature that should help with the problem.

I have added a new field to the registration page containing a security question. From now on when a new user signs up, he / she will have to answer this question correctly in order to complete the registration process. The question reads "What state is Los Angeles in?" If a user can't answer that correctly then it's safe to assume they aren't a legitimate user! :wtf:

This new feature won't stop the human spammers but it should stop the spam bots which are the worst offenders. I suppose this new feature is more for me than for everyone else, but less spam is always a good thing!

NOTE TO NEW USERS: As stated in the security question, you must spell out the state. Entering "CA" will not work!