09-28-2008: Forum Downtime

Comments, suggestions, complaints? Post them here!
Also look here for new features, changes and other forum announcements.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

09-28-2008: Forum Downtime

Post by Steve Simmons »

As many of you noticed (thank you for the emails of concern) the forum was inaccessible for most of the night. Something went haywire in the database, rendering the entire forum inoperable. The database was damaged but after several hours of work it is back up and running. Unfortunately the only way to repair it was to completely reinstall the forum software with a newer version, and then piece the database back together using three different backups.

There is good news in all of this! A planned software upgrade was forced upon me after many months of procrastination. The downside is that it has to be put into use before I get a chance to refine the look and operation. therefore you will notice many changes both visually and functionally. Your user name and password are still the same.

There is also bad news! All users will have to log in again with user name and password. There is a chance that you will be logged out once or twice in the next few days while adjustments to the forum software are made. Normally these adjustments are done offline so they don't affect you, the forum member. I will try to make them as stealthy as possible.

The new software has a ton of new features and abilities, but I will save that for another message. For now, browse the forum for a while, and then post a message to it about what you like and dislike. I need feedback to make the forum look and work the way you want it to!

Your host,

- Steve