14in wire wheels

Have something to sell? Looking for a hard to find part? Post it here!
drtombellows
Vehicles Owned: MGB Mark II, 19XX
2012 Toyota Corolla

14in wire wheels

Post by drtombellows »

I have converted my car to 15in wire wheels and have a set of 14 in wheels to move out. They are original to my 79 car so they are old, but worked on my car well for a 65,000 miles. They have old tires with good tread on them and tubes in them. If anyone is interested, let me know before i put them on Craig's list or eBay.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Re: 14in wire wheels

Post by tannyo »

drtombellows wrote:I have converted my car to 15in wire wheels and have a set of 14 in wheels to move out. They are original to my 79 car so they are old, but worked on my car well for a 65,000 miles. They have old tires with good tread on them and tubes in them. If anyone is interested, let me know before i put them on Craig's list or eBay.
Not interested in buying 14" wires, but I am interested in the 15" wire wheels you bought. What did you buy? Do you have pictures? What tires did you get? Do you like what you've purchased? Do you think it's an upgrade?
drtombellows
2012 Toyota Corolla

Post by drtombellows »

tannyo wrote:
drtombellows wrote:I have converted my car to 15in wire wheels and have a set of 14 in wheels to move out. They are original to my 79 car so they are old, but worked on my car well for a 65,000 miles. They have old tires with good tread on them and tubes in them. If anyone is interested, let me know before i put them on Craig's list or eBay.
Not interested in buying 14" wires, but I am interested in the 15" wire wheels you bought. What did you buy? Do you have pictures? What tires did you get? Do you like what you've purchased? Do you think it's an upgrade?
I bought the 15x5inch 72 spoke chrome wheels that Moss has advertised. I love them and pictures are on https://plus.google.com/photos/10202828 ... banner=pwa
and if you have trouble, just let me know and i will email you the pics.
Tom
drtombellows
2012 Toyota Corolla

Post by drtombellows »

drtombellows wrote:
tannyo wrote:
I bought the 15x5inch 72 spoke chrome wheels that Moss has advertised. I love them and pictures are on https://plus.google.com/photos/10202828 ... banner=pwa
and if you have trouble, just let me know and i will email you the pics.
Tom
My email address is drtom@tombellows.com if you need it.
drtombellows
2012 Toyota Corolla

Post by drtombellows »

It is defiantly an upgrade and improves the handling a great deal. All kinds of good things. No tubes, balances easily, no vibration at any speed. more ridged wheels in cornering. The tires are Fuzion Touring 195/55. Rated to 140 mph and A rated tread and A rated sidewall.
I am very glad that I did it when I did because Moss raised the price $85 each for the rims in the new catalog. As is it was expensive, but I think well worth it. Picture attached, i think.
Tom
:drive
Attachments
DSCN7637-1-1.jpg
DSCN7637-1-1.jpg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
Last edited by drtombellows on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I have chrome 15x72x5.5" wire wheels on my '65. They are much stiffer than the stock wheels, and when coupled to a lower profile tire (I run 195/60R15) the steering response is greatly improved. Road holding is far more confident as well. That said, they are very heavy wheels. Something like 22 lbs each. Add the 20 pound tire / tube and 2 more for the spinner, and you have 44 pounds at each corner. On a smooth road this is no issue whatsoever but you can feel the added unsprung weight, and reduced shock absorbtion of the lower profiole tires, when you hit bumps.

As much as I love the wheels on my '65, I've actually considered selling them because I think they are too "loud" in appearance for the car. If anyone wants to make me an offer, I'd entertain it. These are Dunlop wheels, about 10 years old with very little mileage on them.