For Sale: 1969 Riley Elf - SOLD!

Have something to sell? Looking for a hard to find part? Post it here!
elfman69
Vehicles Owned: '71 Volvo 142S
'69 Riley Elf (gone to new home)
'65 Volvo 1800S (gone to Asgard)

For Sale: 1969 Riley Elf - SOLD!

Post by elfman69 »

For Immediate Sale: 1969 Riley Elf (Unusual Classic Mini Variant; One of Only 30,000 Built)

I need to find a buyer for my Riley Elf daily driver. It's right-hand drive, originally from New Zealand. You may recognize this car from many past Vintage Motoring runs. It runs, shifts, drives and stops great; its original 998cc motor was rebuilt 12,000 miles ago by our own Malcolm Buckeridge, with a desirable 12G295 Cooper head, re-shafted/rebuilt twin HS2 SU carbs (also done by Malcolm), Pertronix Ignitor II electronic ignition with Lucas sport coil, and 1.75" exhaust with Cooper freeflow manifold (gets better performance from a 998 than LCB). Also has newer 2-core radiator and tropical fan for cool running in summer, K&N air filters, spin-on oil filter upgrade, recent brakes (including new master cylinder), and long-lasting NOS Quinton Hazel QL5000 roller bearing/Delrin u-joints replacing the standard, less reliable rubber driveshaft couplings.

No significant rust. Straight sheet metal except one minor ding underneath the left tail lamp where the car was tapped in the rear by an uncaring teen in a rice rocket. Ready for someone to prep for paint and finish the interior restoration.

On separate occasions, each of the three presenters on Top Gear have said that all true car enthusiasts deserve the experience of driving a classic Mini. It's hard to have more fun on a twisty road! And this Mini is already set up with adjustable lower steering arms and tie rods, with a touch of negative camber dialed-in for impeccable road manners under spirited cornering. Car still sports its original "wet" (hydrolastic) suspension, which holds its pressure perfectly month after month (Dr. Alex Moulton's liquid-filled "displacers" at each corner deliver a smoother ride than standard Mini rubber "cones" and "trumpets" when cruising, yet provide progressive springing for sporty handling when the car leans hard into a corner). Sale includes my custom home-built hydrolastic pump with pressure gauge for easy home management of your hydrolastic system.

Car rides on fresh Yokahama A008 street performance tires mounted on a nice set of vintage Cosmic 10x5 alloy rims (including the spare tire). Other extras include reupholstered reclining front seats from a later Mini, vintage tach, KAD quick shifter, and period-correct Astrali 13" wood steering wheel. Price will also include any spare parts I've accumulated in the 7 years I've owned the car (I need to dig through my storage), like a spare front grill, lenses, a complete spare set of used hydrolastic displacers (these sell for $250-$295 each, when you can find them), and many more assorted bits.

I really don't want to sell this car, but I've been out of work long enough to have nearly run through all my savings, and I need to buy myself more time to continue searching for a job. I've seen non-running examples going for as much as $5,600; and this one is driveable (see Update below). Very willing to discuss offers for the car with or without the spare parts!

Registration is current; title is clear. Come see the car in Upland (East San Gabriel Valley) and drive it home today.

UPDATE -- 2/7/2016:
The clutch has begun slipping. It's not very noticeable on flat ground, but climbing a hill today in 3rd gear, the problem was very evident. As a result, I'm reducing the asking price for the car (without spare parts) to $4,500. Parts prices are highly negotiable, and I guarantee I'll let them go for way less than they're worth. I need to find a new home for this stuff by the end of February; if you have any interest, please don't delay in contacting me.

Post to this thread, or PM me through the forum here. Thanks.
-- Doug
Last edited by elfman69 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: For Immediate Sale: 1969 Riley Elf

Post by Steve Simmons »

Sorry to hear you're selling the car. If I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd pay every penny you're asking. Best of luck.
whitebuffalo
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1973 Morris Marina (Morri)
1971 Morris Mini (Kiwi)
1967 Sunbeam Stiletto (Banjo)
1965 Lotus 7 (Westfield) (Westie)

Post by whitebuffalo »

Darn, sorry to hear that, wish I had the funds to buy it. :cry:
equiprx
Vehicles Owned: 1994 Jaguar XJS V12 Coupe

1993 Plymouth grand voyager for parts pick up and delivery.

Post by equiprx »

If I was to sell my current vehicle, and drain my savings I could manage to scrape together 6,000.
Please do not take this offer as an insult but I really love your car.
elfman69

Post by elfman69 »

equiprx wrote:If I was to sell my current vehicle, and drain my savings I could manage to scrape together 6,000.
Please do not take this offer as an insult but I really love your car.
No worries; I'm not at all insulted, but I'm unsure whether you're making an actual offer or extending another "I'd buy it if I could" condolence. And true dat; the car is extremely lovable!!!

I've sent you a Private Message if you want to contact me directly.

-- Doug
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Post by VWNate1 »

Damn Doug ;

The City of Los Angeles has been hiring Whse. Workers and Storekeepers as many of us (I'm a Storekeeper II W/ 31 years) are dying off or retiring , please consider trying thid job as most of us are raising Families and even buying homes on the pittance they pay us....

Don't be too proud to do Blue Collar work , they're accepting applications OnLine and usually have temporary jobs as well ....

I have simply no place to park this fine car , my yard / driveway is all the way parked to the street and I have two cars parked off site in South Central L.A. else I'd nab this right freaking now .
-Nate
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

O.B.T.W.

Post by VWNate1 »

Was picture # 2 taken in Borrego Springs ? .
-Nate
elfman69

Post by elfman69 »

VWNate1 wrote:please consider trying thid job as most of us are raising Families and even buying homes on the pittance they pay us.... Don't be too proud to do Blue Collar work...
I can't imagine what I've ever said to give you the impression that I'm too proud to do honest work. I'd kill to have the security of a regular "pittance" again. In addition to the two industries in which I can claim to actually be skilled (web development and prepress print production), I've applied for everything from warehouse order-puller to overnight kennel assistant; regardless of whether it was full-time, part-time, or a one-time gig. I've been rewarded with only a tiny handful of interviews and not one offer in 7 months.

Pride really has nothing to do with it. The reality is that the job market is flooded with a growing number of Millennials, and the current political climate strongly encourages employers to give first consideration to younger applicants. The corollary is that employers feel no inducement to "waste valuable time" on older candidates. According to the US Bureau of Labor, only 24%-37% of job-seekers my age will successfully re-enter the workforce in the next two years, usually at much lower pay, and typically after searching for at least a year.
VWNate1 wrote:Was picture # 2 taken in Borrego Springs ?
Yes, indeed it was; specifically at the "Sand Serpent." The Galleta Meadows metal sculptures are mind-blowingly amazing. I've been out there five times and still haven't found all of them. Plus, last year I noticed some newer installations by the same artist along Highway 79 near Aguanga, but didn't have time to stop and look.
VWNate1 wrote:I have simply no place to park this fine car , my yard / driveway is all the way parked to the street and I have two cars parked off site in South Central L.A.
Then it's clearly time to start stacking them up! The Elf weighs a mere 1500 pounds; you could perch it on top of your Mercedes, still drive the Merc around, and hardly know the Elf is up there until someone asks you about whether your cute, little rooftop decoration can drive on the freeway by itself (which it absolutely can, even when not riding astride a German sedan. The Elf cruises at 80MPH very happily)!
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

O.K. , good to see you're in there still slugging .

The City tends to prefer to hire older people , I'm not sure why but we get a lot of good workers this way and no matter what they tell you , temps often do become full time , permanent employees if they're good workers , never late, don't show up drunk , etc. , etc. all things I'm quite sure you'll never do so go look on the web page as they prefer this to the old walk in way I got hired 31 years ago .

You have to check daily for the temp. jobs .

There used to be ' notice of interest ' cards you could fill out , one for each job title you were interested in , they keep it on file for one calendar year and send you info and an application when the job title opens .

You didn't say anything , most of my older friends who got between jobs never even bothered to try applying to the City or other Blue Collar works I found . best of luck to you .

Last thing I heard RTD was hiring again , drivers I think , they're always looking for Diesel Mechanics , they offered to hire me one week before I got picked up by the City , if you're any sort of Mechanic they'll teach you the Diesel part .

I thought that pic. looked familiar , I remember you being with us @ Stanlund's Resort one time and blowing past me going up hill the next morning as my Met struggled to make 3,000 RPM's .
-Nate
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

A JOB

Post by VWNate1 »

Please ping me immediately @ Nathan.Hall (at) LACity.org , temp Census jobs NOW .
-Nate
elfman69

Post by elfman69 »

VWNate1 wrote:go look on the web page as they prefer this to the old walk in way I got hired 31 years ago .
Nate, a lot has changed since you and I last looked for work (I was with my last company for 21 years). There are practically no "walk-in," entry-level, "previous experience not required" jobs left any more. To be a dishwasher or janitor now requires, "Minimum two years experience in the food service/housekeeping industries and a demonstrable knowledge of current commercial practices, industry standards, and all OSHA safety regulations (test required)" [quoted from actual ads]. And also, "Ability to lift 50+ pounds frequently." Somehow every type of job in the world seems to require that now. And #ForkliftCertification is trending, too.

The Storekeeper job you referred me to requires no less than, "Two years of full-time paid experience as a Warehouse and Toolroom Worker. Applicants who lack the required experience may file for this position. However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement has been completed." Strangely, nothing about heavy lifting; but the deadline for applications closed last November 26.

I have 35 years experience as a typesetter, graphic designer and print production artist; plus 20 overlapping years of image creation, manipulation, and optimization (PhotoShop/Illustrator); plus 15 overlapping years in Web design, front-end development, and image editing and optimization for Web. This would be a highly prized skill set, if I was still under 40 years old.

Outside of my chosen fields of Prepress and Web Development, I have little professional experience, training or skills. I'm willing and able to learn, but I only qualify for those "general help" jobs with the most "relaxed" minimum requirements.

And that's where the fun begins, because pretty much any online job listing that says "No experience necessary" or "Training provided" can be counted upon to be a fake, scam ad (just a phishing expedition, if you're lucky; or it might lead to a fake background check and identity theft; or worse, you'll get a phone interview and a job offer, provide your bank account information for direct deposit, then find out it's a fraud when your checking account's been emptied)! Generally any listing with "Assistant" in the title ("Office Assistant," "Administrative Assistant," and especially "Personal Assistant") as well as "Nanny," "Housesitter," and "Mystery Shopper," turns out to be a variation of the classic Check Overpayment Scam (originally known as the Nigerian or 419 Scam); and there's endless telecommuting data-entry jobs where you'll actually do real, marketable work for two weeks, then on payday your remote "boss's" email and cell number will oddly stop working. Resumes submitted online get sold to criminals trying to establish new identities. Fake company websites are thrown up overnight to support the more elaborate scams and convince victims they're being offered real employment; often in conjunction with fake background check websites (to which legitimate employers sometimes inadvertently send applicants). WHOIS/ICANN is your best friend when trying to suss out these fakes.

They say as many as 3 out of 5 Craigslist job postings may be fake, but I think that's optimistic (it's much closer to 5 out of 5). I've spent entire days cross-checking the details in postings from Craigslist, Indeed, Dice, Monster, and even the state's Employment Development Department website, without finding a single ad that wasn't blatantly fake. No one vets this stuff, and legitimate job posters seem to make no effort to differentiate their ads from the scam postings. Thanks to the anonymity afforded by the internet, it's as dangerous to look for a job as it is to randomly download free apps that might contain malware (an apt analogy, since I regularly get forwarded from search results on Indeed.com to job listings on third party web pages that try to install malware)!

This voyage of discovery is what has occupied my every waking hour for the last seven months. I could go on in much greater detail, but I'm trying (believe it or not) to keep this as short as possible because we're so very off-topic.
VWNate1 wrote:Last thing I heard RTD was hiring again , they're always looking for Diesel Mechanics , if you're any sort of Mechanic they'll teach you the Diesel part .
Thanks, but I'm not any sort of mechanic; I'm just a backyard tinkerer, and I don't think my back would stand up to 8 hours a day of wrenching on a bus fleet.
VWNate1 wrote:Please ping me immediately @ Nathan.Hall (at) LACity.org , temp Census jobs NOW .
Thanks again; I've seen detailed ads describing these temporary "Enumerator" positions. They're part of a Census Bureau program to test and refine processes for the 2020 Census. While I'd crawl over hot coals to earn the $18-$25 an hour they offer, they're only hiring residents of specific zip codes in Los Angeles County (and in Harris County, Texas). I live in San Bernardino County and am not eligible.

See http://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-re ... 5-118.html

Look, if someone would like to share a hot tip on a job, please Private Message me (and thanks). This thread has gotten hijacked all the way to Cuba, and I'd like to get back on topic and maybe sell my car (I really need to do that)!!
VWNate1 wrote:I thought that pic. looked familiar , I remember you being with us @ Stanlund's Resort one time and blowing past me going up hill the next morning as my Met struggled to make 3,000 RPM's .
You recall correctly. I've been on several of the Carrera California runs; it's always a fantastic weekend of great roads, cars and people! I sadly missed it the last couple years. And your Met always looks epically heroic out on the road!
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

Dman dude ;

This sucks .

Folks always ask me why I'm so terrified of losing my job or even retiring after 31 years , it's because I was in your shoes with a Family and Baby to support , I know it's grim .

We *just* hired an office worker on a temp basis , he's nice but clearly has _zero_ job skills other than any average teen ager....

Find that damn page where the City hires temps. and check it daily .

I still don't have your off site E-Mail .

Trying to figure out a way to help you out here , please ping me off site .
-Nate
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

My Son says let's go have a look , I have sent you a couple PM's , no response yet .
-Nate
elfman69

Post by elfman69 »

VWNate1 wrote:My Son says let's go have a look , I have sent you a couple PM's , no response yet .
Nate --

I did respond to the email address you provided in your last PM, with full contact information to find me in my spider hole. No need for bloodhounds, Dog the Bounty Hunter, or satellite tracking of the secret government mind-control chip in my brain. And you can call off that predator drone that's been hovering outside my living room window, while you're at it!

Looking forward to talking with you and meeting your son.

Thanks,
-- Doug
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

Doug ;

I find the tin foil hats work best......

As I work for the govt. they don't really like me wearing them :P .

See you in a couple days ! :drive .
-Nate
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

1/27/2016

Update :

I went to Doug's to - day and closely inspected and test drove this little car , I truly believe that @ $7.5 k it's a good deal .

It runs well , idles like a watch , shifts nicely (good synchros in the box) , handles very well indeed with three full size Adults in it going a goodly clip up and down hill , the ride is far better than any Mini I've ever been in .

Good brakes , nice tires , even the spare , has original jack and lug wrench .

Current Cal. tags and title , this car is pretty much road ready IMO ~ lights , horn , heater/defroster etc. all work fine and the car even locks up .

Sadly it's just not a good fit for me , I'm old fat and crippled .

If you're looking for a unique little car that might be as much fun as my Met whilst being considerably faster , give this Riley Elf a look :thumbs: .
-Nate
elfman69

Post by elfman69 »

VWNate1 wrote:I went to Doug's to - day and closely inspected and test drove this little car , I truly believe that @ $7.5 k it's a good deal .
I really appreciate Nate's glowing review and valuation of the car. Nate, his son, and I had a very enjoyable morning bombing around my local foothills in it. His son holds the distinction of being the first person since I've owned the car to squeeze into the back seat (and for nearly the entire ride! There should be some kind of endurance award for that).

But even though there's been a lot of interest in the car, no one can quite justify the cash outlay, and I'm feeling like I need to be more flexible on the price.

The $7.5K asking price was to include $1500 worth of spare parts, but we can discuss sale of the car separately from the parts, if that helps. Please don't be shy -- feel free to private message me with ANY offer you think is reasonable, with or without the spare parts, and I'll seriously consider it.

-- Doug
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Re: For Sale: 1969 Riley Elf - All Offers Considered!

Post by VWNate1 »

FWIW ;

Big fat , old and crippled Nate Sr. fit back there too.....

I neglected to add that this car appears to have a fully synchronized tranny and NO crunching of gears on the changes up nor down , a rare thing on older vehicles .
-Nate
elfman69

Post by elfman69 »

VWNate1 wrote:this car appears to have a fully synchronized tranny and NO crunching of gears on the changes up nor down , a rare thing on older vehicles .
Correct; fully synchro'ed 4-speed.

I had a chance to take some interior photos today. As I mentioned earlier, the interior needs restoration:

My attempt to restore the original dash veneer looked beautiful until the clear coat started to bubble. When I attempted to strip the finish off the passenger side section, it lifted the veneer completely off the substrate! So the dash wood really needs expert attention. All clocks are working (including a full-face oil pressure gauge, and a tach I accidentally mounted in the same location as the 93HP "Executive Elf" built by Speedwell in 1963! All lights and electrics are working except the high-beams (The turn signal stalk snapped off, and rather than pop $150 for a replacement switch, I opted to epoxy it back together; which required sacrificing the headlight dip function to ensure an adequate surface to glue onto). Low beams, horn, and directionals all work normally (and still self-cancel). That's the "Elf" boot badge poking up out of the driver's defogger vent. It fell off the boot lid, but I was able to recover it and stuck it there to remind me to hunt for the proper clips to re-mount it.

Front seats (recliners, with headrests from a later Mini) I had cheaply reupholstered. The shop did a so-so job of matching the existing interior vinyl. If you squint, it's a good color match, but it has a pattern and texture to it that doesn't match the original vinyl. On the other hand, I rather liked the look, plus it's extra heavy-duty stuff used for restaurant booths, so it has held up extremely well to 7 years of nearly everyday use. I always planned to have the remainder of the interior re-done to match (I have the rear door cards out of the car, without their skins), but never had the funds to follow through. The material they used was called "Rogue Blue Mist," in case anyone's interested.

The rear seat squabs are original, and in serviceable shape.

I'm sorry, but in American cars, the accelerator pedal has always been bigger than the pedals for brake and clutch. That's how you know where to stomp! And that being the natural order of things, the microscopic nub provided in classic Minis has always struck me as fundamentally wrong. So I fashioned a custom loud pedal, better proportioned for being mashed by colonial podal extremities, from some junk-box hardware and a reproduction brake/clutch pedal pad for a Riley 2.5. It's a bit of fettling I'm rather proud of -- behold:

And below is a comprehensive list of the spare parts I have available. Some or all of these can be included in the sale of the car, depending on the price we negotiate; or let me know if you see anything in this list you're interested in. I'm going to lose my storage for these parts and won't have time to eBay them individually:

ELF-SPECIFIC:
Hardcover BMC Riley Elf shop manual (super clean; originated from Cheshire County Library)
Riley grill; so-so chrome, but otherwise perfect (dent-free)
4 used hydrolastic displacers
2 used hydrolastic rear equalizing springs
1 Elf taillight bezel, excellent driver quality
2 Elf taillight bezels, pitted
3 used rear turn signal lenses, yellow
1 used taillight lens
2 used front turn signal bezels
2 NOS Lucas front turn signal lenses
2 NOS Lucas parking lamp lenses
1 Riley 2.5 repro clutch pedal pad (spare for the custom gas pedal I devised in the Elf)
Stock 16" Riley steering wheel

GENERAL MINI:
Vintage Rokee wood dash upgrade, including plastic instrument binnacle that's fitted behind the center panel
Used BMC parts manuals (body, engine, chassis)
1 copy of David Vizard's "Tuning the A-Series Engine"
Used Lucas alternator (tested & working)
1 spare used Quinton Hazel QL5000 coupler
2 used outside door handles
1 repro inside door handle
2 repro window cranks
2 interior dome light lenses (1 used, 1 repro)
3 NOS Unipart brake/clutch pedal pads
1 repro stock gas pedal pad
1 used mechanical oil gauge
1 used fuel gauge
1 NOS vacuum ("fuel economy") gauge (fun for the whole family on long drives)
14" Motec spoked steering wheel with horn push
Used stock 998 head & manifold
1 stock air cleaner assembly for single HS-2
1 used tropical radiator (3 row, if memory serves, and very densely vaned)
1 used stock Lucas ignition coil
4 spare Cosmic 5x10 rims (bought on eBay in purportedly "excellent condition"; but they're actually mildly pitted and painted black and silver to hide the corrosion in the auction photos)
1 unpainted, corroded Cosmic 5x10 rim (all the really nice ones I found are already on the car, and on the spare in the trunk)

-- Doug
Last edited by elfman69 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

I can't believe no one has stepped up on this .

I've been shopping it around and many have told me they're going to contact you Doug , apparently it's just B.S. .
-Nate
elfman69

Re: For Sale: 1969 Riley Elf - PRICE REDUCED!

Post by elfman69 »

UPDATE -- 2/7/2016:
I took the Elf on the Mark Benson Memorial Run in the Malibu Canyons today, and discovered the clutch has begun slipping.

It's not very noticeable on flat ground, but climbing the curves on Piuma Road in 3rd gear, the problem was very evident.

As a result, I'm reducing the asking price for the car (without spare parts) down to $4,500. That's less than I have invested in the motor.

Prices on the parts are also highly negotiable, and I guarantee I'll let them go for way less than they're worth.

I need to find a new home for the car and all this stuff by the end of February; if you have any interest, please don't delay in contacting me.

Post to this thread, or Private Message me through the forum here. Thanks,
-- Doug
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Re: For Sale: 1969 Riley Elf - PRICE REDUCED!

Post by Steve Simmons »

So cheap for that amount of fun! Way cheaper than women and booze, and this one won't argue. :devil:
elfman69

Re: For Sale: 1969 Riley Elf - SOLD!

Post by elfman69 »

Car and Parts are Sold!

My Elf has a new home with a micro-car collector. Big thanks to Mike (whitebuffalo) for inviting me to the LA Mini club's (MOALA) Swap Meet and BBQ. I had a great day with an amazing group of folks, including good food, and the opportunity to have a giant blow-out sale of all my Mini parts!
Stewart
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1966 2cv
1967 mgb gt sc
1975 mgb sc
1973 1800es
1972 Citroen ID21 wagon

Post by Stewart »

Sad to see it go but happy you got it sold.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Same here. And I hope it stayed local so we can see it on the road again.