1969 MGB GT

Post your car-related project and restoration stories here!
whitebuffalo
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1973 Morris Marina (Morri)
1971 Morris Mini (Kiwi)
1967 Sunbeam Stiletto (Banjo)
1965 Lotus 7 (Westfield) (Westie)

1969 MGB GT

Post by whitebuffalo »

Yes, I am going main stream with my classics, well, only for one car. I was able to trade my 1950 Morris Minor for a 1969 MGB GT. California car from new it had two previous owners. First owner had it since new, second owner had it a few years. Car is thankfully solid, has about 200,000 + miles on it. The motor must have been rebuilt at some point since the oil pressure reads 60psi.

Plans are to actually keep it :thumbs: for those who know me. I will focus on my Imps and this MGB. I will add a performance head or alloy head and a 45 DCOE I bought from Malcolm a few years back. Header and exhaust from Maniflow. I do want to move to alloy wheels since the spokes are not my thing. Sebring front and rear valances, but no flares. Interior will be Navy blue leather with blue exterior. Want to do something different with the dash, Abington pillow isn't the best of the dash designs. Need to get oil gauge fixed or replace it since the original one isn't connected, but an aftermarket one is zip tied to the radio :roll: As for the transmission, overdrive is supposed to work, but hadn't driven the car far enough to check it out. Might go to a Ford five speed eventually.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: 1969 MGB GT

Post by Steve Simmons »

Congrats! The Abingdon pillow situation can be resolved by pulling really hard. There is a metal base underneath just screaming to be customized. There are several examples on this page: http://www.mgnuts.com/modifications/interior/

The LH overdrive gearbox is a very robust unit with 6 forward speeds and full syncromesh. Not much reason to change it, especially considering the cost of a 5-speed kit.

Don't waste your money on an alloy head, the iron heads are better. You can have it ported and flowed (preferably by someone very familiar with MGB heads) and gain some performance. The original ehaust manifold is actually a very good design. You won't do any better unless you need a larger diameter, in which case there are a couple good aftermarket options. Peco is arguably the best design, although you have to check the fit because there have been a few QC issues in recent years with the mating flange.

If you really want to transform the car, skip the 5-speed and other stuff, and spend the money on a blower kit. Instant 20% HP boost on a stock engine. Work it over and easily gain an additional 10%. My car has 50% more than stock, and is basically as fast as the average modern car in a straight line, as has tons of low end torque.
whitebuffalo
Core Member
1971 Morris Mini (Kiwi)

Post by whitebuffalo »

Thank you for the information. So with the idea of keeping the OD trans that can free up money for a trick motor. A blower set up does sound soooooo appealing :D

The dash underneath does look promising! Will explore that avenue.

Any ideas on suspension? I saw a trick looking kit on Frontline Developments' website that eliminates the rear leaf springs. Seems a good weight savings and coil overs seem a good idea.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

There are a few kits out there but they usually have one of two problems... they are expensive and/or they are heavier than the stock axle. I've decided to fit an early axle to my '67 GT so save 60 pounds of unsprung weight, but whether or not that's a good idea remains to be seen. The early axle is noisier, so we'll see how that goes. I wouldn't mind trying out one of the rear end conversion kits some day, especially the super expensive IRS kits.

Knowing you like a sporty car, I would definitely replace all bushings with polyurethane. My choice is Superflex but others are good too. Don't forget the front cross member pads, and when putting the cross member back, note that the bolts are not actually bolts, they are tapered pins. Make sure they are well seated into the chassis before tightening the second set of nuts.

One thing about MGBs is that they handle and ride really well in stock condition. Honestly, I'd put everything to NEW factory specification before making any mods. That way you will better gauge what makes an improvement and what doesn't. I like a sporty ride too, but I've decided that poly bushings, good tires and a slightly oversized sway bar are all I need in my car. It handles like a dream.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Post by tannyo »

If you like the look of the MGB steel dash, you can get a fiberglass replacement that uses the smaller gauges of the Abingdon pillow dash.
jennings-dash.jpg
jennings-dash.jpg (128.17 KiB) Viewed 18536 times
http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/andyjennings/

The only problem I've had with the rear end of my low powered MGB is the it tends to move from side to side in hard turns and can get a little skittish around turns on a bumpy surface. I've been told that the side motion can be fixed with a panhard bar. There are IRS kits for the MGB or you can use an early XKE rear end if you can find one.
Last edited by tannyo on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

With one patch panel welded in, you can also install an original early dash! I think I have a pile of them here somewhere.

The rear end skipping is mostly due to it being a solid axle, but is made much worse if the springs are too stiff. The softer you can run the rear end, the better an MGB will perform. Look at the factory racers, they sag in the rear. Most people have the mindset that stiffer is better, and I suppose on many cars (especially modern ones) that's true. But not on MGBs!

A panhard rod is one solution, but first I'd try poly bushings everywhere, including the big ones in the front spring eyes, and a set of much stiffer tires. The difference in stability and handling response between a tire with a soft sidewall and one with a stiff sidewall is staggering. You do suffer a harder ride though.

One reason why I'm planning to try an early axle is to improve ride quality and reduce chatter on rough turns. I have it pretty well under control already, but losing 60 pounds of weight on the unsprung side can only make it better. :)
whitebuffalo
Core Member
1971 Morris Mini (Kiwi)

Post by whitebuffalo »

Steve Simmons wrote:With one patch panel welded in, you can also install an original early dash! I think I have a pile of them here somewhere.
I would love to install the early dash, metal would be nicer than fiber glass.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I've never done it but from what I understand, you remove the existing dash, cut the lip of the scuttle panel where the old dash attached, and then weld in an extension so the scuttle top come farther back. Then attach the early dash to that. Easiest if you can find an early car to cut the patch panel from, or maybe someone sells a new panel.
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

There is a company in Australia that makes a scuttle that allows you to use an early steel dash. The problem with using an early steel dash in a car with an Abingdon pillow dash is that the gauges in the Abingdon pillow dash are smaller in diameter than the early steel dash gauges. Though the Andy Jennings dash is made of fiberglass and I've read that the extra thickness of the fiberglass makes it more difficult to install your gauges it is a direct replacement for an Abingdon pillow dash car. The Jennings dash also accommodates the steering column cowl.

You could replace the dash with an early steel dash, but you'd have to buy early gauges, switches, steering column cowl, wiring, other stuff and it appears to be a lot of work. The only thing I could find negative about the Jennings dash is because the fiberglass is thicker than steel, the instruments are a little harder to install and the finish is smooth so you will have to paint it with wrinkle paint.

I did a lot of research on this when I had my 71 GT.
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Post by VWNate1 »

Another one begins a new journey ! :thumbs: .

This should be a good read .
-Nate
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

An MCB is basically a well designed, and good handling car, if the suspension is in goo condition.if you install a heavier front anti roll bar, you will increase the tendency for the car to under steer. To counter this, or give the car oversteer characteristics, you can install a rear anti roll bar. A rear pan hard rod, or Watts linkage will help with rear axle stability. As with all cars, no exceptions, good handling is achieved by using soft springing, and stiff anti roll bars, with good shock absorbers. Keep the lever arm shock absorbers, don't try tube shock absorbers, no matter what anyone says. Independent rear suspension is a really expensive way to get very little improvement, for the most part. An MGB all synchro gear box with overdrive is an excellent gearbox, a massive improvement over the earlier gearbox.
Malcolm
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

An MCB is basically a well designed, and good handling car, if the suspension is in goo condition.if you install a heavier front anti roll bar, you will increase the tendency for the car to under steer. To counter this, or give the car oversteer characteristics, you can install a rear anti roll bar. A rear pan hard rod, or Watts linkage will help with rear axle stability. As with all cars, no exceptions, good handling is achieved by using soft springing, and stiff anti roll bars, with good shock absorbers. Keep the lever arm shock absorbers, don't try tube shock absorbers, no matter what anyone says. Independent rear suspension is a really expensive way to get very little improvement, for the most part. An MGB all synchro gear box with overdrive is an excellent gearbox, a massive improvement over the earlier gearbox.
Malcolm
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Ditto on the lever shocks. Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto Parts of Madison can make up a set of custom valved lever shocks for your driving style. He even sells fully adjustable lever shocks.

http://www.nosimport.com/Lever-shocks-r ... ver-shocks
whitebuffalo
Core Member
1971 Morris Mini (Kiwi)

Post by whitebuffalo »

An overwhelming array of information! Suppose it would be less expensive to just refurbish and upgrade the existing suspension with poly bushes and maybe a thicker anti sway bar and a panhard bar. Revalve the lever shocks and that can free funds up for a trick motor set up :D
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Honestly, I wouldn't change the shock valving until you have some miles on the car. Stiffer is not typically better for a road car. The suspension in stock condition is already pretty sporty. Drop the cross member, strip and paint everything, send the shocks to Worldwide, put in poly bushings and put it back on the car.
whitebuffalo
Core Member
1971 Morris Mini (Kiwi)

Post by whitebuffalo »

Took BookerT out on a drive. Really like the car, decent acceleration and the OD makes freeway driving better. Definitely needs bushings, but otherwise smooth and comfortable.

VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Post by VWNate1 »

An old (82) Friend wrecked his '69 MGB GT Sunday last , he's O.K,. but I think he's coming to an end :cry: .

Anyway , his car looks seriously B.E.R. to me and it might come up for sale soon , I'll post it here (Vintage Motoring classifieds) if anyone has interest , California car , un restored 6 digit license tags and was in decent shape before the crash .
-Nate