Photos of my cars.

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Robb
Vehicles Owned: 1912 EMF Semi-Racer
1932 Wolseley Hornet Special
2009 Mini

Photos of my cars.

Post by Robb »

Here are my two old cars. The first is right after I got the Hornet Special and clamped together the pieces for photos. The EMF semi-racer took 8 years to restore. The second photos is how far I've gotten on the Hornet, just starting on the skin and engine now. The last is one with a very similar body that appeared in the introductory brochure in May of 1932.
Attachments
1932 Wolseley Hornet Special and 1912 EMF Semi-Racer
1932 Wolseley Hornet Special and 1912 EMF Semi-Racer
1932 Wolseley
1932 Wolseley
Robb Stewart
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Photos of my cars.

Post by Steve Simmons »

Wow!!! I love those cars! :thumbs: I was thinking of building a Model T Speedster recently because it would be affordable, but I'd really like something a bit more "special". Your EMF is just wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

Just a tip, when you have huge photos that won't fit on the page without scrolling, you can attach the photos to your post and they will be re-sized automatically. Clicking the attached image will then bring up the full size version.

Disclaimer: I recently added this feature but haven't fully tested it yet, so if anyone has problems please let me know!
Robb
2009 Mini

Post by Robb »

Steve,

Sorry about that. It took me a while to figure that out and I don't see an option to attach photos. I can be pretty dense when it comes to computers. Let me know how to re-do them correctly and you can delete that message, I assume.

There's alot to be said for Model T speedsters and I've seen some pretty cool examples. EMF have really good engines for the size with big valves etc. and they were successfull racing because of this. They are more obscure than Ford but much easier to find parts for than some others from that era.

I enjoyed seeing your website with your garage and cars. That MGN is really, really a cool car!

Robb
Robb Stewart
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Obscure is better, in my opinion! I was recently VERY close to purchasing a Lexington rolling chassis to build a Pike's Peak racer recreation from. The gentleman who had it decided he just wasn't ready to part with the lump, which was probably a good thing for me, my crowded driveway and not least of all, my bank account! Here is the car I planned to recreate from the chassis....
1920 Lexington
1920 Lexington
lexington.jpg (79.17 KiB) Viewed 12847 times
Regarding attachments, just below the "Submit" button is the attachment area. Your original post can simply be edited, no need to delete. I'd be happy to assist if you like.

Personally I don't mind the big images since I have a huge monitor but those with smaller screens may have to scroll a lot! I should really make a short screencast video on how to do certain things on the forum since it comes up now and then. I should probably also work on a way to take oversized images from remote sites (like those above) and force them smaller. That way it's one less step for everyone. Add those to my "to do" list!
Robb
2009 Mini

Post by Robb »

Steve,

At least I mentioned that I'm pretty dense with computers! I've attached two of the photos here.

That Lexington would have been a really cool car. It's a pretty stout frame, I assuem that they shortened it. I'd like to build something like that also, but we'll see how I feel in a few years of Hornet restoration. The first Lexington that I saw was a 1909 demi-toneau, kind of a four seat speedster.

Robb
Attachments
Hornet and EMF2.jpg
Sept2010a.JPG
Robb Stewart
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

That Hornet is fantastic! I really love the proportions. Do I understand that this is the car you plan to build into a racer? Is the body in the photo original style or modified?

The Lexington in the photo was one of two sister cars, both with shortened chassis. The #7 car seen above still exists in a museum near Pike's Peak. It was run in both single and two seater configurations.

There was a mostly complete Lexington tourer for sale on eBay recently that did not sell for the starting bid of $5K. It's been haunting me ever since! I try not to look at the auction. ;) One thing that saved me from buying that one was that it had a continental engine instead of the Ansted unit which would have been correct for the racers. The one I nearly bought back east had the Ansted unit and was missing a body, which was perfect. The older gentleman who owned it changed his mind about selling once he realized I was serious. He did have a nice touring car for sale though, but although a lovely car it wasn't what I was after.

PS... I've edited the attachments in your first post for you. Clicking will bring up larger versions.
Robb
2009 Mini

Post by Robb »

Steve,

I also like the proportions of the Hornet. It will be lower when finished of course. No, this one won't be a racer. Even as a sports car it is mild compared to the equivalent MG. One of the guys asked the size of the engine and I forgot to answer before. It is 1275cc although it will be bored out .040" when done. I'll have to figure that out. There are maybe a dozen that are raced, mostly in England. The best of those are really good cars and have been known to beat Bugattis and other similar size cars.

The body is the original as sold in October 1932. It would have been easier to build a new body, but there was too much there to discard for a relatively rare car. You can see that the light colored wood is new and dark is old. Probably less than half of the steel will be original when done, but I hope that qualifies that I can call it an original body. One frustrating but cool fact is that it may be the only example in the world like it. There were 150 made (1933 model year) and 27 known to exist now. About 6 to 8 of those are EW Daytonas and so far as what I can learn mine is the only one with cycle fenders rather than the more common full fenders. I've seen two or three from the previous model year with cycle fenders.

I assume that you keep in touch with the guy back east with the Lexington.

Robb
Robb Stewart
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I haven't kept in close contact because I don't want him to offer it to me again. My will power isn't strong enough to resist a second time.
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

Hi Robb,
If the car was sold in October of 1932, it is probably a 1932 model year car. I think the '31 and '32 cars had cycle fenders, and the '33 and '34 cars had swept fenders. That would also tie in with your car being a '32. I'm a bit puzzled by the knock on wheels though, because I thought that all the early cars had magna wheels. The '34 cars, I think, had the NF engine, and an underslung chassis, which gave them more power, and better handling. Does it have the black enamel radiator badge, or is it illuminated?
Malcolm
Robb
2009 Mini

Post by Robb »

Malcolm,

It has the earlier black enameled badge. I'm quite sure that it is 1933 model year. If you recall, Wolseley cars were produced in batches they called Sanctions. The first Specials were Sanction 65 which started in May 1932 which was 150 cars if all numbers were used. Mine is the 99th of Sanction 78, which also involved 150 cars. They must have sold faster than expected, assuming that they were sequential and were two thirds of the way through well before the calendar year started. The 1932 Daytonas had the doors hinged on the front and 1933s were hinged in the back like mine, confirming that my body is correct for the sanction number. It does, however, have a 1932 (sanction 65) engine and with manifolds from a saloon. Since original manifolds are in great demand, I don't expect to find a replacement and plan on having headers made, which should be better anyway. I've already procured a really nice pair of 1 1/4" bronze SUs. I have many obstacles, including a really worn and pitted camshaft (any ideas?) and need to have new drive and driven gears made for the distributor and oil and water pumps. Everything is doable, of course, but very expensive.
Robb
Robb Stewart
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

If you need the camshaft welded and ground, I have a place in Riverside I can refer you to. They recently did the cam for the '34 NE (the one you saw the photo of me driving in). The price was quite reasonable. If you need a whole new cam, they can probably measure yours and make a new one although I have no idea what it would cost.
Robb
2009 Mini

Post by Robb »

Steve,

Thanks, I'll let you know. If it is rebuildable, I will have Joey at American Cam in San Dimas grind it. I was talking to friends about it this morning and they didn't think that it would be a problem.

Robb
Robb Stewart