California Introduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From

Forum for general car talk, upcoming events, posting photos, etc.
Martin Keller
Core Member

California Introduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From

Post by Martin Keller »

California Introduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Emissions Inspection Requirement

Here is the link for more information about this bill.

http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/ ... =Nm_IVTNNe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:drive
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
rally_x
Vehicles Owned: 65 Mustang
73 Mini
07 Cooper S
1 1978 VW Rabbit
86 Subaru Rally car
90 Honda CRX
1967 Triumph GT6

Re: California Introduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles F

Post by rally_x »

Hope it passes. It would be nice to not have to go through the hassle of getting my Rabbit smogged.
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Whether it passes or not probably has a lot to do with how many of us actually contact the legislators.
Hint, hint.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

Man if this passes I will be able to easily remove the power robbing components of my MGB whenever I get around to getting it on the road.
Stewart
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1966 2cv
1967 mgb gt sc
1975 mgb sc
1973 1800es
1972 Citroen ID21 wagon

Post by Stewart »

Easy way to write your senator

http://capwiz.com/cal4wheel/issues/aler ... 61&queueid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stewart
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1966 2cv
1967 mgb gt sc
1975 mgb sc
1973 1800es
1972 Citroen ID21 wagon

Post by Stewart »

Failed on a 3 to 4 vote.

From another site.

Is it any wonder? Only 550 letters were received from private citizens, who knows how many of those were for or against the Legislation??

But . . . we get another chance!!

California Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Emissions Inspection Requirement Fails Committee Vote; Granted Reconsideration

Legislation (S.B. 1224) to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from the emissions inspection requirement has been granted reconsideration after failing to be approved by a Senate Transportation and Housing Committee vote. The bill failed on a 3-4 vote, with two committee members not voting. The bill will be reconsidered in a future committee hearing. Those who voted in favor of the bill are Senators Gaines, Harman and Wyland. Those who voted against are Senators DeSaulnier, Lowenthal, Pavley and Simitian. Senators Kehoe and Rubio did not vote on the bill.

We Urge You to Contact Senators DeSaulnier, Lowenthal, Pavley, Simitian, Kehoe and Rubio(Contact Info Below) Immediately To Request Their Support for S.B. 1224

• S.B. 1224 recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1981 vehicles on emissions and air quality.

• S.B. 1224 acknowledges that pre-1981 vehicles still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

• S.B. 1224 endorses the fact that pre-1981 vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).

• For years, legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters have felt the heat from failed efforts to meet air quality goals and have looked to older cars as a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. S.B. 1224 helps validate the truth. The old car hobby should not continue to carry the burden of past mistakes!

DON’T DELAY! Please contact Senators DeSaulnier, Lowenthal, Pavley, Simitian, Kehoe and Rubio immediately to request their support of S.B. 1224. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

Senate Transportation and Housing Committee

To e-mail Senators DeSaulnier, Lowenthal, Pavley, Simitian, Kehoe and Rubio, copy and paste the email address block below:

senator.desaulnier@sen.ca.gov; Senator.Kehoe@sen.ca.gov; Senator.Lowenthal@sen.ca.gov; senator.pavley@sen.ca.gov; michael.rubio@sen.ca.gov; senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov;

Senator Mark DeSaulnier (Chair) Phone: (916) 651-4007 Email: senator.desaulnier@sen.ca.gov

Senator Christine Kehoe Phone: (916) 651-4039 Email: Senator.Kehoe@sen.ca.gov

Senator Alan Lowenthal Phone: (916) 651-4027 Email: Senator.Lowenthal@sen.ca.gov

Senator Fran Pavley Phone: (916) 651-4023 Email: senator.pavley@sen.ca.gov

Senator Michael Rubio Phone: (916) 651-4016 Email: michael.rubio@sen.ca.gov

Senator Joe Simitian Phone: (916) 651-4011 Email: senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

Another letter sent for round two.
drtombellows
Vehicles Owned: MGB Mark II, 19XX
2012 Toyota Corolla

Post by drtombellows »

:hammer:
Now that I have converted my MGB to a 1969 version they want to make all MGB's exempt. Oh well. I sent my emails and so should you.

:pimp: :drive