1961 Warwick GT

Post your car-related project and restoration stories here!
HealeyBN7
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 Peerless GT
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

1961 Warwick GT

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Here are a few photos of our newest addition.

It is a 1961 Warwick GT. It was brought to the US on the Queen Mary through NY, by the previous owner to establish a US sales distributorship. Although sales seemed likely, when the company leaked out word of a later model with a Buick V8, existing orders were canceled. Unable to deliver the V8s, the company soon went into receivership. (Marketing lesson 101: "Never sell the next model, unitil the currenty inventory is sold out.")

872 BLU started life with the owner's TR3 engine, which was race tuned by Tunex Conversions to Stage II specs. Paint, while tired is all original. Interior is in reasonable shape needing a headliner, and furflex. I removed most of the primer spots.

The Webasto sliding sunroof and wire wheels were factory options. UK records indicate that this is one of three cars in the US out of a total of 18. The company professed a production run of 40.

Most immediatly it will need tires, a tune up, a creak and rattles supression kit, and some sorting to build confidence that round trips on it's own are a possibility.

Dean
Attachments
Bringing it home from North Hollywood
Bringing it home from North Hollywood
DSC_7059.JPG (60.96 KiB) Viewed 40715 times
DSC_7068.JPG
DSC_7068.JPG (66.36 KiB) Viewed 40715 times
DSC_7069.JPG
DSC_7069.JPG (64.14 KiB) Viewed 40715 times
DSC_7075.JPG
DSC_7075.JPG (62.42 KiB) Viewed 40715 times
DSC_7076.JPG
DSC_7076.JPG (125.49 KiB) Viewed 40715 times
Last edited by HealeyBN7 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: 1961 Warwick GT

Post by Steve Simmons »

Such a cool car, and an amazing history. One owner and a complete documented history is a rare thing these days. I can also attest to the fact that this can moves pretty well! Good engine.
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Hi Dean,

That is a very neat car you now have. :thumbs:
So what is going to happen to the Peerless now that you have this car and that it looks a lot like the Peerless.
Is this car a glass body or is it steel?
Looks as if it has two gas fillers from the photos.
What type of suspension dose it have?
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Martin Keller wrote:Hi Dean,

That is a very neat car you now have. :thumbs:
So what is going to happen to the Peerless now that you have this car and that it looks a lot like the Peerless.
Is this car a glass body or is it steel?
Looks as if it has two gas fillers from the photos.
What type of suspension dose it have?
Excellent questions. The last three are easiest to answer. The first one I think I know the answer, so I'll try in reverse order to give myself a little time...

It has the same TR3 front tube shock/coils and DeDion rear suspension of the Peerless. Same frame except this one is rust free.

It has two tanks like the Peerless that run between the wheels under the door sills. The tanks are not connected. Each tank has its own fuel pump. There is a switch on the dash that changes the pump and fuel gauge. I was told that the left hand tank leaks. The right on seems to hold fuel.

The body is fiberglass like the Peerless except it doesn't have all the separate pieces. It is constructed like the Europa such that it is technically removable from the frame and will hold it's shape. It may be hard to see in the photos, but the hood tilts forward like an e-type.

I want to finish the Peerless as it will be a different animal with left hand drive, a Toyota 5 speed and air conditioning. As you know the body is in Dave's work que. I thought about swaping cars and having Dave paint the Warwick instead, but I am likely to keep it as is until the Peerless is finished. After all that chassis work, I need to get the Peerless on the road!

At first I was driven to paint the Warwick GT. The few folks that have seen it are either passionate about painting it or preserving in it's current state of neglect.

Dean
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Congratulations, Dean. The combination of being an ultra rare, low mileage, virtually untouched car with an unimpeachable one-owner history makes it truly an unbelievable find.
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

Hi Dean,
What a great find. Please don't paint it. If you paint it you will lose a lot of the originality that no restoration can duplicate, along with some of it's value. I haven't seen the car, but it looks very nice, and patina'd in the pictures. Congratulations.
Malcolm
Fifty Six MGA
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1954 Velocette LE Motorbike
1956 MGA
1971 BMW 2002 tii (Sold)
the most generic gold tan minivan you can imagine
A pile of kayaks and bicycles.

Post by Fifty Six MGA »

Dean,

Sweet car. Was there any relationship between the Peerless and the Warwick? They look similar enough as to certainly raise the question. Cool looking car, for certain.

Are the first two pictures you posted the same car? Maybe it's the angle, but the paint looks a lot better in the second (and subsequent) photos....

Geoff
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Fifty Six MGA wrote:Dean,

Sweet car. Was there any relationship between the Peerless and the Warwick? They look similar enough as to certainly raise the question. Cool looking car, for certain.

Are the first two pictures you posted the same car? Maybe it's the angle, but the paint looks a lot better in the second (and subsequent) photos....

Geoff
Geoff,
Yes they are very similar. The Warwick is using the same frame and drivetrain. Taking liberties on the history, the Peerless owners had a falling out and the Warwick was the product of a new company with some missing and some new players. If it was a sandwich shop, the sign would have read "Under new management", but the waitresses would still be the same.

Thank you for noticing the paint cleanup. Yes this is the same car. I removed most of the primer with lacquer thinner and worked the surface with a little polishing compound and glaze, but it is still a near sighted 40 footer.

Dean
gorms68
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1914 Chandler model 15
1929 Chandler model 65
1966 MGB roadster
1968 Mustang Dlx coupe

Post by gorms68 »

Dean be a good caretaker of this car and let the patina speak for itself. Based on our reaction to the photos it seems obvious you found a very special car. How did you find it?
Chris Gorman
DaveC
Vehicles Owned: 59 Peerless GT
63 Morgan Plus4

Post by DaveC »

I can attest that this is a very special car in many ways, having seen it pre-purchase, and of course it's in the safest possible hands now with Dean.

The Peerless was originally to be named Warwick after the founder's home region, but was named after the Peerless Garage that was first used. The genetics run deep and the peerless-gt.co.uk website has a lot of info.

And one last point to all. It's a Warwick not a War-Wick, so is pronounced "Warrick". A dollar in the beer-fund jar for every mistake please. :)
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

I had a chance to take a couple additional photos and scan in some documents that might be of interest.
Attachments
DSC_7078.JPG
DSC_7078.JPG (48.29 KiB) Viewed 40659 times
Tunex plate on the valve cover.
Tunex plate on the valve cover.
DSC_7102.JPG (36.58 KiB) Viewed 40659 times
This is the original invoice from Warwick Cars.  It is a little hard to read at this resolution, but for 1,987 pounds sterling the Webasto top, wire wheels, stage II engine tuning and brake servo were included. Invoice date August 10 1961.
This is the original invoice from Warwick Cars. It is a little hard to read at this resolution, but for 1,987 pounds sterling the Webasto top, wire wheels, stage II engine tuning and brake servo were included. Invoice date August 10 1961.
EPSON003.JPG (36.29 KiB) Viewed 40659 times
Nine days earlier on August 1st of 1961 Tunex Conversions completed the engine work.  Seems like a reasonable price, wouldn't you say?
Nine days earlier on August 1st of 1961 Tunex Conversions completed the engine work. Seems like a reasonable price, wouldn't you say?
EPSON004.JPG (28.17 KiB) Viewed 40659 times
In April of 1962 the car was loaded on the Queen Mary and transported to the US.  the canceled check is for insurance for the voyage.  The declaration is for duty free entry as long as the vehicle is for personal use.  I think after 51 years he qualified!  First residential address is the yacht club in Florida.
In April of 1962 the car was loaded on the Queen Mary and transported to the US. the canceled check is for insurance for the voyage. The declaration is for duty free entry as long as the vehicle is for personal use. I think after 51 years he qualified! First residential address is the yacht club in Florida.
EPSON005.JPG (47.59 KiB) Viewed 40659 times
Prior to the journey spares were loaded into the car.  I like the statement that says the spares can not be resold and are only for 872 BLU.
Prior to the journey spares were loaded into the car. I like the statement that says the spares can not be resold and are only for 872 BLU.
EPSON006.JPG (38.01 KiB) Viewed 40659 times
Below is a picture of the Florida plate and eventual California dealer plate.
Below is a picture of the Florida plate and eventual California dealer plate.
DSC_7104.JPG (51.91 KiB) Viewed 40659 times
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Hi Dean,

Great history documentation that you have with your new to you car.

So dose this mean that your starting to collect the rare and historical autos of your dreams?

I always figured you for the type of gear head that enjoys cars for just being cars and would modify or improve an auto to his own taste and style which from what I have seen is really good from the modifications you have made on the Big Healey and the Europa and the Peerless let alone the garage you built for your toys.

You should enter the Warwick in the CCBCC Car show at Channel Islands Harbor on July 22nd even though this year we’ll be celebrating 50 years of the MGB your car will stand out as it is very rare and interesting to say the least. http://www.centralcoastbritishcarclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Thanks Martin. I'm not sure how I would characterize my gear head, but I am probably running the wrong oil.

I have always appreciated original cars with a real history and find myself drawn to them more frequently at shows or online. I just haven't had an opportunity to own a car that both interested me and had a known heritage.

Regarding my fleet, the Lotus was shuffled from owner to owner as a parts car with a bent frame, sectioned body, sun baked interior and siezed engine. I know very little about its history other than the names of the owners on the DMV paperwork. Using it as a development platform seemed like a more logical path vs returning it to its long lost original state. I thought of it as a learning platform and something my son enjoyed watch come together.

The Healey on the other hand, we bought many years ago. We also know very little about its history other than it is an original California car which should have had disc wheels and a non-overdrive transmission. At the time we failed to get the limited papertrail from the previous owners who bought it in 1970. They treated it like an appliance and made sure I knew that they changed the air filters once and gave me a quart of pre bar code GTX for my journey home from Pasadena. For many years as our only sports car, a few modifications have slipped in, but it is still generator driven, positive ground and I have resisted the temptation to respray the 1970's Earl Sheib enamel. After I am gone, the original grill, bumpers and non-synchro side shift 4 speed are stored away for the next caretaker.

By any measure the Peerless has had a rough life and sourcing new parts has really been the only way to get it on the road, and part of the fun. My goal with this car is to make it a comfortable GT, that my wife and I can take on overnight tours. Yes, air conditioning a Toyota 5 speed, dynomat and an aluminum radiator are significant departures from originality, but I am hoping the return value will be in the longer trips. Very unlikely that any of these mods would make it into the Warwick.

I would love to take the Warwick to the show, just not sure if it will make it - yet. Maybe. Next year for sure. I do plan on taking the Peerless GT chassis this year if I can secure a trailer, as I am hoping by next year that it will be all covered up.

Dean
Martin Keller
Core Member

Post by Martin Keller »

Hi Dean,

I have a trailer and will do transport duty for you if you want to show both cars. :thumbs:
Just need to have a little help to load and secure on both ends.
Let me know.
Martin Keller
Ventura, Ca.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Congratulations Dean.

A very special find.
Kelvin
So many projects, so little time
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Martin Keller wrote:Hi Dean,

I have a trailer and will do transport duty for you if you want to show both cars. :thumbs:
Just need to have a little help to load and secure on both ends.
Let me know.
Martin,
That is too generous. I have the Peerless loaded on a trailer and if I can finish the brakes on the Warwick, I be there with both - make room!

Dean
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

You should drive the car down to Long Beach and get a picture with the boat that brought the car over.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

That's what I told him too! I'm hoping the previous (original) owner can find a photo of the car with the ship so he can re-create it.
n6bhu

Post by n6bhu »

I never got tired of riding in that car! My Stepdad was always scaring my Mom out of her wits while driving it, and it led a rather adventurous life.
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

n6bhu,

Thanks for the wonderful update. I had a feeling your Stepdad only drove the Warwick at it's hairy limits. We are still working on a documentary of the car and it's history. If you are ameanable to a short discussion perhaps we can capture some of your memories on film.

Please feel free to contact me through the PM feature or you can email me directly at HealeyBN7@yahoo.com.

Hope to talk to you soon,
Dean
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Decided that it probably wasn't the best idea to keep driving the car with leaky fuel tanks. I knew the driver's side leaked, so I was using the leak-free passenger tank. This proved to be incorrect as both tanks had pin hole leaks. It was just a matter of size.

On the Warwick each of the two tanks are held inside the door sills. Unlike the Peerless the tanks can only be removed by also removing all the front suspension components.

In this poor cell phone photo you can see the tank being extracted through a small hole in the wheel well.
IMG-20130601-00259.jpg
IMG-20130601-00259.jpg (86.77 KiB) Viewed 39790 times
I had both tanks dipped and rewelded to fix the pin holes. They have been painted and installed. Both fuel pumps are getting a rebuild, so I'll be able to fill and switch from tank to tank.

So how can you remove all the front suspension and brake components and not renew that system as well? I found that you can't. A cleanup, new bushings, rebuilt calipers should tighten up the front end, but just like the Peerless, I found both vertical uprights to be severely bent. One is curved front to back and the other is bent to provide even more undesired positive camber.

You can see in this photo that the run out from the centerline of the threaded end to the hole for the upper ball joint hole is in excess of 3/4 of an inch - ouch. I found one new one and I am checking a source for another. Should be an improvement in tracking once the new parts are installed.
IMG-20130609-00276.jpg
Dean
DaveC
Vehicles Owned: 59 Peerless GT
63 Morgan Plus4

Post by DaveC »

Very neat job. Perhaps in the crazy mind of the P&W folk, the bending on the links was intentional..! I'm thinking of fact the front of the chassis kinks up to give some castor.

Where did you get the tanks dipped and welded? I still need to pull my passenger tank

dave
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

DaveC wrote:Very neat job. Perhaps in the crazy mind of the P&W folk, the bending on the links was intentional..! I'm thinking of fact the front of the chassis kinks up to give some castor.
Where did you get the tanks dipped and welded? I still need to pull my passenger tank
dave
I suspect that the links were reused from Brian's damaged TR3, since that was the source for some of the other "original" components. I'll have to check with him. It would make the most sense as there is no accident damage on the car, frame or wheels. Yet, apparently they bend rather easily and were not held to close tollerances when originally manufactured.

I had the tanks stripped at L&M Stripping in the Van Nuys, then had them patched by Commercial Radiator in Simi. Both outfits knew what they were doing. If there is not a bunch of crud in the tanks you might not need to have them stripped. There was very little paint on them. I repainted them both with Rustolium red primer as that is what it looked like they were painted with originally. I found blue overspray on the tops of the tanks, so it appears like the tanks were in the car before it was painted.

They are held in place by two wood blocks in the front and rear.

What is not available is a fuel filler hose. It is standard 2", but the original is formed. I bought some straight 2" and two 45 degree pieces. It won't be original, but I see of no other way to install the hose without causing too much stress on the cap and surrounding fiberglass area. I bought too much of the 2" hose. It is spendy. You are welcome to have a section or two.

Dean
Last edited by HealeyBN7 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

That brownish-red primer was used on many British cars of the day. I still have much of it on my '65 MGB.
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

After today's New Year's run I started hearing more clunks and whines from the rear end... so why not take it out and start 2014 with some peace of mind. It leaves a big hole.
IMGP0055.JPG
Feels like the half shafts are shot. There is a fair amount of slop in the sliding joints yet the u-joints themselves seem fine. They are all stamped as Hardi Spicer components so hopefully it will be easy to R&R.

For the rear member, there is more slop and clunks in this unit then the fresh Peerless rear end, so I am guessing it it time to tighten it up. Turns out the case is welded firmly to the carrier. According to Brian the rear end would work loose so Bernie Rodgers welded it. I guess the torch was closer at hand then loctite.
IMGP0056.JPG
The guys at Coast Driveline in Ventura took care of the Peerless rear end refurbishment. Hopefully they will take on this one.

Dean