What is your current project?

Post your car-related project and restoration stories here!
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

What is your current project?

Post by Steve Simmons »

NOTE: This thread was originally started by Larry Kluss, and has now been split into the new restoration forum. Therefore the remaining posts in this thread may not make sense!

What project(s) are taking up your spare time right now? Mine is a 1965 MGB. It was never intended to be a long-term project but the "might as wells" got me good.

The engine is being rebuilt. The transmission has also been rebuilt and now has an overdrive attached. I dropped the front cross member and rebuilt the suspension and steering rack, including a high-ratio rack and pinion.

I've replaced the steel hood with the proper aluminum one and stripped the engine bay completely. Next is painting the engine bay and hood, and then start putting it all back together again. What I will end up with a a 310,000 mile car with a ground up restoration from the fire wall forward, and an unrestored back two thirds!

Photo of today's progress: (suspension coated in POR15 and Black Cote, Superflex bushings, rebuilt shocks)
Attachments
MGB Front Suspension Rebuild
MGB Front Suspension Rebuild
mgbfrontsuspension.jpg (78.02 KiB) Viewed 34481 times
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

yeah, damn those niggling projects that just keep getting bigger.
olson
Vehicles Owned: 38 MG SA
47 MG TC
50 Renault 4CV
67 Triumph Spitfire
88 Toyota MR2

Re: What is your current project?

Post by olson »

My excuse for avoiding real work is a 67 Spitfire. Got it because someone wanted to clear their yard. Just been sitting in my back yard for years, but I recenly decided I would like a 65 LeMans Spitfire. (some of you have cool looking race replicas- you know who) 65 LeMans Spitfire had a fiberglass roof molded from a GT6. I was not going to make a fiberglass mold; but I found someone making a Spit6 who had a GT6 with rotted sills(common). My Spit has good sills, but mangled rear bumper, so- sounds like an excuse to try a new MIG welder. After way too much fun hacking and welding it is very solid- all steel roof, windscreen welded in, rear hatch welded in and filled. Faired in headlights. Hope to get some paint soon
gene olson
47 MG TC
38MG SA
Attachments
IMG_3720spittilt.jpg
IMG_3838.JPG
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey, that looks pretty good! :thumbs: I think we need a "Vintage Motoring Project Tour". We can drive around to everyone's house or shop and see the latest updates.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Peerless Restoration

Post by Steve Simmons »

I suppose I should also list some other projects I'm working on right now.....

1. MGA - rebuild master and slave cylinders, convert to 1600 front disc brakes, replace suspension bushings.

2. MG TC - rebuild entire braking system and renew all hoses, pipes, linings, etc. This project has been ongoing because I'm having problems with the brakes not releasing properly. The highlight of the job was having new brake flare nuts fabricated from scratch in stainless with correct whitworth flats, and sourcing proper stainless protective coil for my hand-made pipes. The whole project came out to a fraction of the cost of buying the stuff done, and in far superior quality. Here is a photo of one completed brake line next to an original, and one of the new Alfin brake drums.
Attachments
MG TC brake lines
MG TC brake lines
nuts.jpg (16.59 KiB) Viewed 34544 times
MG TC Alfin brake drums
MG TC Alfin brake drums
alfin.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 34543 times
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Re: What's Your Latest Project?

Post by Jimmy »

For this winter's project, I've contemplated freshening up the TD's steering wheel a bit.
Attachments
Or, I could get gloves...
Or, I could get gloves...
IMG_1519.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 34441 times
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Jimmy wrote:For this winter's project, I've contemplated freshening up the TD's steering wheel a bit.
And here I thought the wheel in Dean's Peerless GT was in bad shape...you get the prize for sadest steering wheel, Jimmy.
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Larry Kluss wrote:
Jimmy wrote:For this winter's project, I've contemplated freshening up the TD's steering wheel a bit.
And here I thought the wheel in Dean's Peerless GT was in bad shape...you get the prize for sadest steering wheel, Jimmy.
I'm afraid I also qualify for Most Abusive Use of Garage Space award.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Okay, where are those projects??? We've seen some good ones so far...some updates on those might be in order (hint, hint). Let's see some new postings from others as well...

My hope is that this may inspire other members to start or finish some projects on their own classic cars. I, for one, think it's interesting to see what others are working on. Don't be shy, post your small projects too...even detailing your engine compartment over the weekend with before and after shots.

I'll get an updated photo or two on my E-type project posted this weekend.
tdskip

Post by tdskip »

Wow guys - the Jag and Lotus look fantastic.

These are in a very different rung than those, but I rotated the fleet some last month...

Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

I'm seeing lots of cars lately that haven't been posted in the "Post a picture of your ride" thread. The gallery needs filling!
tdskip

Post by tdskip »

OK, OK.....
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: To-Day's Project

Post by VWNate1 »

Was to work on my new Moto , replaced the rectifier , (made up new harness , modified it fit the frame etc.) , adjusted the valves (were @ zero clearance & I bought it from a DEALER) , & clutch , some other piddly stuff I now forget , took it for a test ride to the gas station then to Mar-Vac for more rectifiers , ($5.0 each and wonderful for old Motos) and then home again where SWMBO grabbed me before I could pass out on the sofa , this cold is kicking my butt .

It's nice to have a running Moto agan , I was getting a bit frantic there :bow: .
-Nate
bholland
Vehicles Owned: By Age
1953 MGTD
1965 MGB (in pieces)
1973 MGBGT
1973 Triumoh TR6
1974 MG Midget
1979 MGB x 2

Post by bholland »

Here is the new addition to our family. Some assembly required, but all in all, a good start. I'm the third owner. Second owner bought it in '65 for $150. This was a divorce settlement deal, so the car was apparaised in it's present state. The gal put the price at $8200 and some change. I find this hard to fathom myself.....22 boxes of parts, plus the big stuff. Original 948 motor is rebuit from 1985, .020 over, new seats , complete carpet kit, and a few other things.

Paint is spectacular, a little dirty from sitting for 25+ years inside. I've tried to resize the file, not real sure how this will show up.
Attachments
DSCF0328.jpg
DSCF0328.jpg (85.51 KiB) Viewed 34092 times
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Fantastic, Brad! :thumbs: I hope you start a restoration thread so we can follow the progress. :)
CBI

Post by CBI »

If any of you have any interest in posting your projects (complete or in-progress) on my site, please lmk by submitting them by email. You guys have some great cars, how about sharing their stories? Hope this isn't considered spam, I'm truly a vintage car enthusiast! :)
David
www.CarBuildIndex.com
jwm1941
Vehicles Owned: 1949 MG TC
1953 F-100
2001 MUSTANG COBRA

Post by jwm1941 »

Currently working on my MG TC braking system, suspension system, steering system, interior (owned for 41 years, so everything needs a little attention) and sealing up the rear axle tubes so they will cease to leak on the rear brakes (bought the SERIOUS kit from "Frame-Up restoration). Finished making new floor boards, installing new rubbers in the shock links, rebuilding the master and slave cylinders, cleaning and resealing the gas tank. installing the new link rubbers (but I am still thinking about replacing them with modern bushings) and sanded, repainted, & rebalanced the three rear wheels (using glass beads, instead of lead weights). While I am doing the front, just like the rear brakes, I will remove, media blast, prime and paint the front backing plates, rebuild the wheel cylinders and replace the flexible brake lines.

I should finish up the rear axle work this week, and can move on to the Front brakes, etc. Then I should move on to the steering system (I installed the Thompson Kit when it came out many many years ago). Now I seem to have a "flat spot" probably in the "worm gear"; but I will have to disassemble it to find out.

And Steve Simmons (I'm a ghost member ot TC MOTORING GUILD because I live in Ventura, and it's a long way to go for monthly meetings. I would like to know where you got your NEW CORRECT brake lines. Any way I would like to get new lines made, especially since the ones I looked at at MOSS MOTORS had been bent in half (apparently for easier or cheaper shipping).

When I retired I built my own "car shop" complete with 4-post lift, so it's much easier to do most jobs and a whole lot safer than having to work while the car is on jack stands; also a lot easier to change the oil, etc.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Hey, I know those initials. Welcome! There's a meeting tomorrow night with a great program on the Pebble Beach Road Races. You should try to make it. I plan to be there in the TC. I'm not far from you actually, just up the hill in T.O.

I installed Grunau rear axles with new hubs pre-installed, along with permanently sealed bearings, etc. In the past ten years not a drop have leaked. That, and I never worry about snapping an axle. Some of the best money I ever spent on the car.

Those shock links are a pain. The Moss tool kit helps but it's still tricky. And while you're into the front end, check the king pins. Reducing play here seems to make a difference in straight-line stability. And if you have the knuckles off, check that axle for alignment. Mine was straight but many people have reported theirs was out of spec after all the years of abuse. I went a step farther and sent the knuckles to Grunau to have oversized, stronger spindles installed. The originals have been known to crack and break on occasion and my car had an unknown history. Nice peace of mind having brand new, uprated ones in there. But now we're into the "might as wells". Dangerous (and expensive) territory!

I made my own brake lines using Cunifer tubing. Stainless steel coil was sourced in the UK, and the stainless steel flare nuts were custom-made by my machinist. The nuts are not original, being stainless and having larger wrench flats, but I consider this a practical upgrade to make maintenance easier in the future. I may be having more sets of nuts made up in the near future in case you need some.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

Wow ~

Long time no updates , I see some really nice cars in here and would love to hear the progress .

My back yard is full of junk stalled projects , I retire next week and hope to get back to them :thumbs: .
-Nate
jwm1941
Vehicles Owned: 1949 MG TC
1953 F-100
2001 MUSTANG COBRA

Post by jwm1941 »

Steve Simmons;

I can promise you there are a lot of us who would love to update their brake tubing; but who can NOT find a source for those ends. I for one would be very interested; especially if they were designed to use American stainless steel tubing although I suppose you could simply drill out the inside of each to a size matching the American stainless tubing. If your "machinest wants to make some money he could offer to supply them to people like "From the Frame Up", "Moss" and "Abington Spares". Please let me know when and if they become available.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

My machinist is the one who makes most of the hardware for From the Frame Up. I introduced Doug (the owner) to him several years ago. For those who grew up in So Cal, you may remember Mike Goodman also. This was Mike's machinist back in the day. He's retired now and just does small jobs out of his garage.

Back on topic, my latest projects are numerous (see my tractor restoration thread for one of them) but one small side track has been this old oil pump. I've just about finished the top part so the tank will be next. Still need to replace the knob(s) and I got the white completely wrong. Needs to be more of an ivory color.
Attachments
pump-before.jpg
pump-before.jpg (104.11 KiB) Viewed 29628 times
pump.jpg
pump.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 29628 times
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

Jeeze ~

I had an oil tank like that in my VW Shop 30 + years ago .

It was green , I no longer remember the brand of bulk oil we bought to fill it .

I do remember the day one of their Outside Salesmen came by , walked right into our Shop and slapped a serial number decal on it , my partner asked what the hell he thought he was doing and the Salesman smarmly said ' that's _OUR_ property and we want to keep track of it .

Partner ripped the decal off and said come back here again and you'll leave in a stretcher , that's ours , you didn't provide it ! .
-Nate