British toys are getting a place of their own...

Post your car-related project and restoration stories here!
HealeyBN7
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 Peerless GT
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Re: British toys are getting a place of their own...

Post by HealeyBN7 »

tdskip wrote:Where you able to get the Peerless out of the rain?
Right now the Peerless is under the mother of all tarps. Hopefully this will be one of the last big rain storm it sees. Before the end of the year, I am hopefull it can get pushed into the barn while I finish up the building. I still have more heavy lifting inside and right now it is safer outside then within tool and lumber dropping distance. Besides, I think it has seen water before :wink:
Steve Simmons wrote:I didn't realize you were putting doors on the sides as well. That could be handy.
That was Larry's idea. :thumbs: The door to the right should come in handy and allow me to push messy projects in and out without being seen from the street or house. The door on the left is bigger and could be used in the event I want to cut another driveway to the street. I am unlikely to do this soon, but wanted the option. Worst case, I'll leave the door closed and just open it to keep the air moving.
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: -
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
1974 Chevy Nova SS (faux)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Since the car came from Hawaii, I think a bit of SoCal rain won't hurt it...besides, the body is rustproof. 8)
caliwagon

Post by caliwagon »

I'm looking for a word to describe my reaction whenever I check this thread. "Jealous" just seems inadequate.

Here's hoping for a VintageMotoring.net open house come springtime!
-John M.
'67 Volvo 1800S - Sold
'86 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 - Daily Driver
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

caliwagon wrote:Here's hoping for a VintageMotoring.net open house come springtime!
That sounds like a darn good idea!
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Steve Simmons wrote:
caliwagon wrote:Here's hoping for a VintageMotoring.net open house come springtime!
That sounds like a darn good idea!
I am little closer to an open house. Passed the framing inspection this morning. :D Window is in. Now I can waterproof the roof and walls!! Next inspection is the wrap before siding. Should be able to get that underway before New Years.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Dean
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Yahoo - Passed my last inspection this morning (wrap) prior to the final. Here are a few pictures. Probably doesn't look too different. The roofing paper is on and the walls are wrapped. I started building the doors. The front doors will swing out. The large side door will slide on tracks. After the doors are finished, siding is next, then paint, caulk, paint and more paint and I hate painting...

From the inside: Walls are 10 feet. It is 11 ft to the bottom of the rafter cords. The 4x4 horizontal blocking is required for sheer.

Peerless is still outside waiting.

Happy New Years. Dean
Attachments
tarpaper.JPG
inside.JPG
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Man, I can already see the toys being at home in there. Are you planning to install climate control?

I built my walls at 11-feet with a 15-foot peak (give or take 6 inches, I can't remember exactly). Other than your cross beams we should have a similar work space except that yours is twice as wide! Planing to put a lift in?
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

I've recently done my own inspection of the new building and it's looking good. I'm Dean's building consultant and my advice to him is worth every penny I'm being paid...which is nothing. :P
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Steve Simmons wrote: Are you planning to install climate control? Planing to put a lift in?
Well, technically I have not yet pulled an electrical permit, so the official answers are "no and no". But, I do plan to install a radiant barrier in the roof and walls. This will mostly be for heat control. I am not too worried about the cold. With all the door space it is going to be challenging to keep it air tight. We will have to see what happens in the summer time. I am hoping that I can open the doors and let in the cool air. If that fails, then I might have to punch in a few room a/c units in the back wall, or look into portable units, or stay in the house during the day and play at night.
----
My "consultant" assures me that I won't regret installing a 4 post lift. If I do, it will be on the far left side with rollers. And, speaking about my consultant, I thought you would enjoy this story:

I was going over options for one of the side doors with my wife and completely out of the blue she says "Before you do anything, I think you should run that by Larry..." :oops: What? He shows up a few times a month. Offers advise that has never really been implemented, and now has the ear of the real boss. Now it seems that I am no longer in charge... I'm telling you Larry is a pro. :)

Happy New Year - Dean
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Larry is a born leader. :D

What about lighting? If you don't have power then how will you see? I have a bit of experience planning garages. If I can be of help let me know.
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Steve Simmons wrote: What about lighting? If you don't have power then how will you see? I have a bit of experience planning garages. If I can be of help let me know.
I do plan on installing power and air. The reason I am dragging my feet on the electical is because I want to get the building signed off as final first. We have conduit from the main panel burried to a point, but to finish it requires trenching under the drip line of a small oak tree, which the city will allow, but only after an extensive (read...$$$) study. Best left for another time.

Air is also halfway trenched as is water. I am planing to run air from the main house garage to the barn since the compressor is large and already hooked up to 220v. This will give me a little more electrical head room for the panel in the barn. The conduit is 1 1/2 so, with the length of the run, I am limited to about 60 amps. Should be enough. I hope. Thank god copper prices have dropped.

I upgraded my router so I can reach the barn with the laptop. That was easy.

If you have time, give me a call. Maybe we can get together. You know where I will be (...building the doors). I do appreciate the offer for help!!

Dean
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

HealeyBN7 wrote: I was going over options for one of the side doors with my wife and completely out of the blue she says "Before you do anything, I think you should run that by Larry..." :oops: What? He shows up a few times a month. Offers advise that has never really been implemented, and now has the ear of the real boss. Now it seems that I am no longer in charge...
The funny part of this story is that I showed up a little while later (unannounced as usual) and Dean asks me if Donna called me to advise him on this door problem... :lol:
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

I can't believe is has been a month since the last progress shot. Work and other obligations have been heavy since the begining of the new year, but I finally have all 10 doors built, hung and aligned. It was kind of fun working out the sliding door track, building the first door and maybe the second one, but by the time I got to nine and ten it started to feel like I was clocking time in the Morgan factory.

Six of the doors are still lacking their windows and none of the dividers are "real". I decided to fabricate the true mullens next weekend from steel then dedicate myself to siding the building. It is kind of funny, as the barn is starting to take shape, I am begining to reevaluate the "messy" jobs that I planned under it's finished roof. I am no longer sure I want to sand and spray in here, nor set up my welding equipment, grinder, etc. So, now I am thinking all of the real messy projects will being done outside, yet isn't this why I built the barn in the first place??? :?
Doors on the side slide on a fabricated track.
Doors on the side slide on a fabricated track.
The doors can slide by themselves to allow a little air and can all be positioned along the back wall
The doors can slide by themselves to allow a little air and can all be positioned along the back wall
Front doors are still missing their window treatments (mullens and glass)
Front doors are still missing their window treatments (mullens and glass)
Visions of a never ending wood project reminded me of the Morgan factory...same design, same job - next 100 years
Visions of a never ending wood project reminded me of the Morgan factory...same design, same job - next 100 years
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

HealeyBN7 wrote:I can't believe is has been a month since the last progress shot.
Me neither!
HealeyBN7 wrote:..as the barn is starting to take shape, I am begining to reevaluate the "messy" jobs that I planned under it's finished roof. I am no longer sure I want to sand and spray in here, nor set up my welding equipment, grinder, etc. So, now I am thinking all of the real messy projects will being done outside, yet isn't this why I built the barn in the first place??? :?
Welcome to my world. I got two lifts so that I would always have room to put a car in the air to work on them. Well, that cleared up floor space which I use to store another car. The result is that it takes so long to move cars around and get one on a lift for maintenance that I do all my work in the driveway with jack stands. :roll: I never planned to weld or spray in my garage however, as it's as much for storage as it is for maintenance.

The barn / garage (barage?) is looking great! Now get that floor coated so you can park cars inside before the snow comes!
spitfire
Core Member

Post by spitfire »

I like the track doors, very nice.
Larry Kluss
Veteran Member
1967 MGB (Works tribute)
1968 E-type Jaguar FHC
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
2008 Jaguar XJ L

Post by Larry Kluss »

Looks great Dean! Time to get that Peerless indoors.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

No, the floor should be coated before the cars roll in! You don't want oil on the fresh concrete or the paint won't stick. You are using paint, right?
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

The cars won't roll in until after movie night. :) There is really no rush to move the Peerless inside as I still have to finish the interior walls. I have been keeping the rabbits at bay. It is just so much easier to work in the barn without working around a car. As small as our cars are, they are still "in the way". Heck I was pushing the dog around the as he was in the way. I still have to spray the roof, stain the doors and swing conduit all over the place. Besides, when it was cold, I was burning my scrap wood in our fire box. Not recommended with the cars nearby.

For the floor, I would like to use an industrial floor epoxy. I have seen a few brands discussed on the forums, but have not decided or really focused on trying to make a decision. Recommendations would be most appreciated.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Dean, next time you're in my area swing by and see the garage floor. If you like it, and I think you will, I will dig up all the details on it. I've tried several types of floor finishes and this is the first one I will use again. It's extremely tough.
olson
Vehicles Owned: 38 MG SA
47 MG TC
50 Renault 4CV
67 Triumph Spitfire
88 Toyota MR2

Post by olson »

I am bright green with envy of your garage. You really should see Steve's garage floor. Working under the car is not so bad at Steve's. You do not need a creeper- just lay on the floor a scoot around. Oil, brake fluid wipe up easily. If you like to keep things clean (as opposed to some of us slobs) go check it out .
gene olson
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Hard to believe that it has been well over a month since I posted photos. We have been busy, but when time allows I am still putting a few hours into the barn. Here are a few of shots of late, starting with a front shot of the barn after receiving a little siding. If you look hard you can see the metal windows, these are later removed for glazing and painting.
siding front.JPG
The next few shots show what 25 gallons of paint/primer look like after you coax it out of the buckets. The wood on the porch is for the lattice work on the patio. My boy built the patio table so his old man can hang in front and play checkers.
painted from left.JPG
porch.JPG
This photo of the doors is from the far right. This is the only set of windows that I have fully glazed. There is a reason no one glazes windows anymore. It is horrifically time consuming. I have four more window sets to complete for the front doors.
doors on the right.JPG
Had a little fun with the welder and the door knob...
wrench.jpg
wrench.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 24136 times
Next up is flashing and setting the roofing tiles. Did you see all the overspray on the tar paper? There is a reason I roof last.

Now for a little vintage car content. On a flight back from DC I had time to watch all four hours of the Al Moss DVD set. Very very cool. No question we will have to preview some of his work at the open house. Getting closer.

Dean
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Wow. I mean, seriously, wow. You guys are doing a bang-up job! Great idea on the door handle as well. I may have to do something similar for my smaller garage access door. I don't think there is anything there I don't really like. And tell the young 'un that next time I need a picnic bench, he's hired!

And here I am being bashful about doing a simple island install in the dining room. I'll have to invite you over for lunch with a hidden agenda firmly placed in the back of my mind. :devil:
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Steve Simmons wrote:
And tell the young 'un that next time I need a picnic bench, he's hired!

And here I am being bashful about doing a simple island install in the dining room. I'll have to invite you over for lunch with a hidden agenda firmly placed in the back of my mind. :devil:
Steve - Will do. He knocked that table out in exchange for a new skateboard deck. And thanks for the lunch offer (I think).

Very good thinking on your part to move cautiously on the island installation until you sort out how to deal with the water, sand, coconuts, and tourists. 8)
HealeyBN7
Core Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Warwick GT
1971 Lotus Europa
1995 Range Rover

Post by HealeyBN7 »

At Buttonwillow this weekend, I was reminded that it has been a little while since I posted a progress shot of the car barn. I am still working on it and as of today the roof is now finished. It was just under 8 squares (roofin' talk for 800 square feet). The tiles are a cement lifetime tile that matches the house (matching the house is a city requirement). Each of the 800 tiles is screwed to the substrate with square drive deck screws. I always look forward to starting a new phase of the project, then by the time I am about 3/4 complete, I just can't wait to put it behind me. If I never hoist another tile to the roof, that will be a good thing.
roof is done.JPG
Continued working on the barn windows. If you recall these are hinged metal frames that I welded to look like old industrial windows. I only have two more to finish. Once done, I can call for a final inspection. Might even be able to do that by the end of the week.
font doors.JPG
I'll hold off posting photos of the inside until I pass my final inspection. Almost done (...with the outside)!
Last edited by HealeyBN7 on Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Linda wants to hire you to build us one. I can't say I disagree with her! That is really beautiful work - something to be proud of.