Overdrive instructions

Questions, answers and reports on various technical subjects.
tannyo
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: 1967 MGB GT

Overdrive instructions

Post by tannyo »

1971 MGB Tourer and GT Handbook wrote:The overdrive unit, controlled by a switch on the steering-column, provides a higher driving ratio for use with third or fourth gear. To engage overdrive move the switch lever towards the steering-wheel; to disengage move the lever away from the steering-wheel. Accelerator pedal pressure should be maintained and it is not necessary to depress the clutch pedal during engagement or disengagement.

Overdrive can be engaged at any throttle opening when in third or top gear. If increased acceleration is required the overdrive can be 'switched out' without alteration to the throttle setting. Do not 'switch out' the overdrive when traveling at speeds exceeding normal third or top gear road speeds.

In certain driving conditions while traveling in third gear, the overdrive can be switched in to provide a top gear ratio or out to provide third gear acceleration without the necessity of manually moving the gear-change lever.

If for any reason the overdrive does not disengage, do not reverse the car otherwise extensive damage may result.
Any thoughts on the throttle position the handbook espouses?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
Vehicles Owned: .
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8
1969 MGC GTS

Re: Overdrive instructions

Post by Steve Simmons »

The overdrive works on a clutch cone. You can engage or disengage at any throttle just like you could engage or disengage the clutch under any load. Just like the clutch however, the overdrive's clutch can suffer damage or premature wear from continuous abuse. It's generally good practice to adjust the throttle when shifting in and out of overdrive the same way you would if shifting through any other gears - lighten up the throttle to up shift (engage overdrive) and give it a bit more gas to downshift (disengage overdrive).

When downshifting with the stick, you give it more gas to match the RPMs and avoid "lurching" the car. The same goes for overdrive, only instead of avoiding lurching, you're reducing the shock on the unit from slamming into a lower gear ratio. This is especially important on D-Type overdrive units as found on Mark I MGB. In fact, these model cars came with a vacuum inhibitor switch which prevents the overdrive from disengaging while the engine is in overrun, or engine braking. The instructions you quoted above are obviously for a later car since A) the OD switch is on the steering column and B) there is no concern for the safety of the OD clutch by shifting down during overrun. These later "LH" model overdrive units are larger and more robust than the earlier ones so they can stand a bit more abuse.
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

Yes the instructions are for the later overdrive unit that is in my 1971 MGB GT.
Jimmy
Don't take him seriously!
Vehicles Owned: '74-1/2 MGB
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'79 MG Midget (parts car)
'63 LBC
Plus, a Turbo S (with a damn roof) in the household.
And three Mercedes on 20" wheels.

Post by Jimmy »

Since the MG overdrives are basically what became GearVendors, they should be pretty stout and not require any babying.
However, Gearvendors recommends against downshifting its 30,000-lb. GVWR rated unit under deceleration.
I do like Steve and shift it like a regular gear, minus the clutch use, since that has to be easier on the friction material.
In baseball, running into someone is apparently a "collision".
But doing the same thing in a car somehow makes it an "accident".
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

So my question is does the overdrive need pressure (non-clutch use) to shift properly?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

No, it will operate whether or not the clutch is depressed. When you flip the switch, or in your case press the button, a solenoid activates the flow of oil through the OD unit. The pressure of the oil is what engages and disengages the OD. There are planetary gears and other things involved but the bottom line is that it will work just the same with or without depressing the clutch. Just for the record, some overdrive instructions, which I believe include those from Volvos which use J-Type OD units, specifically state to NOT use the clutch to engage or disengage overdrive. I don't know why they have this warning on those models.
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Because if "nothing" is turning, there's no real oil pressure?
VWNate1
Veteran Member
Vehicles Owned: LBC's

Mercedes Diesels OM 616 & 617

1969 Chevrolet C/10 pickup shop truck
250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

1959 Nash Metropolitan FH Sports Coupe

1961 Morris Minor W/ 1973 1275 CC engine & gearbox

Ural Solo Motos , old Honda 90 CC Tiddlers

Re: Leycock Hydraulic Overdrive

Post by VWNate1 »

Often these units are run for many years & miles without any routine service then when it begins to stick in or out , the entireunit is blamed as faulty and sent out for unecessary expen$ive rebuilding when in fact all it needs is a routine service consisting of cleaning the magnet and screen and HOT draining the oil then re-filling with ATF , that'll dissolve the sticky deposits that hinder smooth & efficient overdrive operation .

Using this simple method , I was able to retro-fit my '67 MGB GT with a " junk " overdrive that in the end , shifted *perfectly* , didn't leak and (best of all) was FREE ! :bow: .

Shifting in or out , as mentioned , light throttle application is best as it makes for smoother transtion and doesn't beat up on it .
-Nate
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Hey, Nate, since regular oil seems to be the preferred lube, how about a 500-or-so mile cleansing with ATF, then reverting to engine oil?
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Post by VWNate1 »

As you wish .

ATF is the prefeered lube by factory trained BMC mechanics .

They suggested it and I tried it, *presto* I never had another problem out of it .

YMMV .

Try synthetic engine oils, they're very detergent too .
-Nate
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

How about some detergent mixed in with regular oil?
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

Quantum Mechanics did a thorough test on fluids for Laycock overdrives. 30W ND came out on top. Here is a copy of their article:
I want to express our experience and opinion on the topic of the proper oil for use in the Laycock de Normanville overdrive units. We constantly get into discussions( and sometimes heated debates!) with British car owners on this subject. This month’s discussion will invariably get some interesting responses as it seems to be a rather emotional (and not necessarily logical) discussion item for British car overdrive owners.

Let’s start out with history. Historically even the recommendations from various car manufacturers are confusing. Some say to use multi grade oil (MG manuals), some hypoid oil (Triumph manuals), some non detergent oil and some even recommend automatic transmission fluid! No wonder everyone is so confused!

Many years ago (in a land far, far away (OK it wasn’t that far away or even that long ago)) we ran an experiment on overdrive oil. We rebuilt an A type overdrive unit and initially ran it with 30 weight non detergent motor oil. When spun up on our test bench at 1,000 RPM, it reached a normal pressure of 400 PPSI. When shifting the pressure dropped to 300 PPSI and quickly recovered to 400 PPSI. All was right in the world of overdrives.

We then drained the oil and replaced it with 10W30 multi grade oil. When spun on the test bench, initially it tested fine. However, after a few minutes of running, the oil pressure dropped to 300 and when shifting, to 200. Upon observation of the internals of the operating overdrive we found bubbles developing in the oil pump body and oil pump output passage. We surmised that the detergents in the oil were causing the oil pump to cavitate, and develop air bubbles as it pumped.

We then drained the oil again and replaced it with 90 weight hypoid oil. This time the oil pressure jumped to 600 PPSI! When shifted, the pressure dropped to 450 PPSI, which made the shift immediate and harsh. After a few minutes of running the oil pressure actually began to climb even higher. (Which made no sense since we thought the oil would thin out and the pressure would drop). We finally shut it off at 750 PPSI as we did not want to damage the unit. Even though the overdrive unit was now in the non overdrive position (solenoid disengaged), the overdrive was now stuck in overdrive and would not come out. The higher pressure had driven the sliding clutch member so hard into the brake ring that the clutch return springs could not return it to the non overdrive position. A tap on the brake ring with a hammer (the universal overdrive release tool), shifted it back into the direct drive position. After running a number of these test with the same result we found what was happening. The oil holes in the accumulator sleeve are very small. The 90 weight oil was so heavy it could not escape from the accumulator chamber as fast as the oil pump could pump new oil into it. So even though the accumulator piston had passed the oil hole relief position, the pressure continued to build up because the oil could not leave the system as fast as it was being pumped in. The accumulator piston actually bottomed out in the sleeve (similar to coil bind on valve springs). When removed we found the accumulator spring had been compressed and was no longer useable.

After replacing the spring, we then tried automatic transmission fluid. We saw the same results as we did when we used the 30 weight non detergent oil.

We then tried synthetic oil and the unit also worked OK although it began to leak from all sorts of places it had not leaked from before.

Based on these tests we have since and continue to recommend the 30 weight non detergent motor oil as the best oil to use in the overdrives.

Some other experiences with customer overdrives over the years have reinforced this choice. For example, we found a Jaguar compact overdrive with a broken accumulator piston and bent spring when it had been used with 90 weight oil by the owner. When the piston and spring were replaced and the unit filled with 30 weight non detergent oil, it functioned normally. A customer LH overdrive unit that was filled with 90 weight oil "pulsed" between direct drive and overdrive without even being switched on electrically. When the oil was flushed and replaced with 30 weight non detergent oil the unit worked normally.

Other noted problems with overdrives filled with 90 weight are excessive wear on the oil pump plunger wheel and the eccentric cam, probably due to the higher pressures developed. Also the clutch lining seems to be more deteriorated in units with 90 weight oil than those with 30 weight oil.

The use of non detergent 30 weight oil does not seem to affect the transmission parts or function. Bearings, synchros, gears and hubs do not seem to function any less effectively with the non detergent 30 weight oil as with 90 weight gear oil.

So there it is gang, our scientifically based rationale for using and recommending 30 weight non detergent oil in Laycock overdrives. I welcome further discussion and feedback on this topic by anyone interested. As always, thanks for reading this article!
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

After replacing the spring, we then tried automatic transmission fluid. We saw the same results as we did when we used the 30 weight non detergent oil.
It seems that using ATF produced the same results as 30 weight non-detergent motor oil. What's the difference between the two?
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
Vehicles Owned: 1959 MGA 1600 Coupe
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
1995 Landrover Discovery
2003 BMW 325i wagon.(wife's car)

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

ATF is high detergent!
Malcolm
tannyo
Veteran Member

Post by tannyo »

malcolmr18zoy wrote:ATF is high detergent!
Malcolm
The article surmised that the detergent in the 10W30 caused the pump to cavitate, but not with ATF. That doesn't seem consistent. Will it harm the overdrive unit to use ATF?
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1995 Landrover Discovery

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

Hi Tanny,
I would recommend using the oil specified by the manufacturer. They specify the type of oil for their products based on extensive testing, and, usually, know what they're talking about. The use of ATF in engines or overdrives, is only for flushing out deposits and not for extended use. The high detergent in ATF will loosen and dissolve most deposits, and leave things nice and clean. Then re-fill with the specified oil.
Malcolm
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Re: Overdrive Lubricants

Post by VWNate1 »

Sort of agree with Malcom here .

ATF is used in hypoid drive units and manual trannies worldwide and never a problem because it doesn't cavitate and has very good shear strength , plus the added benifit of preventing buildup of crud and varnishy deposits .

For some odd reason , many hear ' Automatic Tranny ' and instantly close their minds to learning a new thing .

I don't .

YMMV but those who know me , also know I own mostly junk , literally . I run it hard far and wide and don't have the typical problems most do .

Using proper lubricants is part & parcel of that .
-Nate
malcolmr18zoy
Core Member
1949 MG TC
1965 Jaguar 3.8S
1966 MGB GT
1964 MG Midget
1985 BMW 528i
1995 Landrover Discovery

Post by malcolmr18zoy »

You can use ATF in manual transmissions, and you can use engine oil in automatic transmissions, but I would always rather use the manufacturer specified oils. ATF was designed for automatic transmissions where it needs to have certain qualities. It is a good lubricant, and Rover recommend it in their LT77, and R380 five speed transmissions. The Mini, and Austin America automatic transmissions run on engine oil, and work fine. I've never heard of a manufacturer using ATF in a hypoid gear, but I don't doubt it. I think that hypoid oil has more extreme pressure additive ( EP) than ATF.
Malcolm
Jimmy
'76 MGB (parts car)
'52 TD
'71 MGB staqtion wagon
'69 MGB (parts car)
'60 Sprite
'63 LBC

Post by Jimmy »

Not to cloud the issue further, but I'd think the MGB transmission would prefer regular oil, or perhaps even 80W/90 gear lube, while the overdrive would be happiest with ATF.
Too bad they share whatever you put in the tranny.

For what it's worth, mine all seem to be quite happy with Castrol 20W/50.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

If it was just a matter of gear teeth then it would be simple. In this case however we're talking about 300-500 PSI of pressure, small passageways and a clutch cone. The oil needs to not foam as it's passed through the overdrive unit at these pressures and it needs to have the right amount of friction for the clutch cone. ATF is very high detergent, and any time you add something, you take away something else. I would worry most about the friction modifiers in ATF (and other fluids) which are designed for a different purpose than pumping through an overdrive module.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Re: My Point !

Post by VWNate1 »

Thanx for making my point Steve :thumbs:

ATF is designed to be pumped through various small orofices and gears etc. under extreme pressure without foaming and still provinding good high shear lubrication .
-Nate
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

No idea, really. It makes sense on paper but there are far too many variables to be able to determine the usefulness of ATF or any other fluid in a Laycock overdrive without controlled testing.

All I know is that I won't be the one to do that testing! Especially not in MY cars :D

For the record, I use plain old Castrol GTX 20W-50 in my MGA, MGB and MGC gearboxes. I do plan to run 30W ND in my 3-sync MGB OD if I ever get it back on the road.
VWNate1
Veteran Member

250 I-6 , TH350 slushbox

Re: It Has Oft Been Said :

Post by VWNate1 »

' You can put a horse in the river but ,

Only a pencil has lead ' .

:P

:lol:

:hammer:
-Nate
tannyo
Veteran Member

Re: Overdrive lubrication

Post by tannyo »

I'm going to revive this thread. Since the MGB transmission shares its oil with the overdrive, what oil should I use?

BTW, the manual recommends 20W/50.
Steve Simmons
Site Admin
1937 MG SA Saloon
1946 John Deere AN
1949 MG TC
1953 MG TD
1958 MGA Roadster
1959 Morris Minor 1000
1965 MGB
1967 MGB GT (UK-Spec)
1969 MGC GTS

Post by Steve Simmons »

As outlined in the article I re-printed above, Quantum recommends 30W non-detergent. I've used 20W-50 Castrol GTX with no issues also, but these days I go with their recommendation since they rebuilt the unit I'm currently running.